Punaweb Forum
How does your local economy feel? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: How does your local economy feel? (/showthread.php?tid=2693)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: How does your local economy feel? - DickWilson - 09-25-2008

Jay; I expect we will do ok. No preconceived idea's and a practical background in self-sufficient living. Appropriate technology and the ability to fabricate required tools.

dick wilson

RE: How does your local economy feel? - JWFITZ - 09-25-2008

Amen.

RE: How does your local economy feel? - Dave M - 09-25-2008

"This may well be the last breath of US Constitution you all will see in your life. It is that big of a deal."

Yep you nailed it on the head Fitz. Man, right when I thought these guys couldn't really do anything else to undermine the Constitution they pull this. This would appear to be Bush's last little or not so little hand out to all his corporate buddies. I have to wonder how they're gonna funnel some of it to Halliburton..

To whoever:
As for Stillhopes' comments to me.. they were just that "to me" Please don't chastise anyone for my account. Stillhope is actually the first mate on my YS..

Blessings,
dave

"It doesn't mean that much to me.. to mean that much to you." Neil Young

RE: How does your local economy feel? - Guest - 09-25-2008

If y'all will do a little research and look at some history, you'll find that make take on the events leading up to this mortgage mess is well founded.

Even Bill Clinton admits it.
watch this: scroll to 2:45
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/09/bill-clinton-do.html
The history and record is clear. Don’t fool yourself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHj8-HSi5AA

Oh JWFITZ, Posted - 09/25/2008

Truer word were never spoken.

RE: How does your local economy feel? - JWFITZ - 09-25-2008

I expect that the hardship that this will bring, regardless of the outcome or vote, us may do more to unite us than any other "progessive" or "conservative" ideas ever did. You may not so much care how much you agree as how much you trust. Trust is the core of this issue, and we at this point don't even trust those which with we agree: or for that matter,look the same as, or have the same "heritage" whatever that means.

Not getting along is a luxury item.

Funny how reality gets in the way of things.

I've told my wife for many years now that our culture is headed in the wrong direction. Many put education over actual useful skills. We teach our kids that it is more important to get a classic education instead of learning the basics. It is assumed that one will always have plenty money earned in some inane specialty to trade for things like food, clothing and shelter.

That of course is 180 off the mark. One needs to learn to take game and get it on the table before one learns Freudian psychology or Euclidian geometry.

Many folks have lost all their ability to even build there own home or make a there own clothes. Kids today learn nothing of the value of cabinetry, welding, auto repair, carpentry, horticulture, animal husbandry. Our society is left poorer because of that.

RE: How does your local economy feel? - Dave M - 09-25-2008

Esnap
I agree with you but I don't..[:0] I mean you live right down the road from East Texas.. Think about saying all that to someone from Lufkin or San Augustine. I come from that part of Texas and I can certainly get some game on the table whether it's ducks, deer or runining a trotline. I agree with you in that our kids don't get off the computer and go outside more but at the same time our education system is in trouble.

I think our education system is the key to any hope we have of re claiming ourselves in the international community. The skilled trades have all been shipped over seas where the labor jobs can be done for cheap.. It wasn't the lack of workers that created the problem it was the almighty dollar and the cheap labor available in other Countries.

My son and I are leaving for Inks lake (up river from Travis) tomorrow where we will canoe and fish. He will learn about the stars and also how to use a compass(He's seven) but he will be back at school on Monday cuz he needs it all. (all be it Montessori school [Wink]) Good luck to you as y'all get back to normal in Houston.

Blessings,
dave

"It doesn't mean that much to me.. to mean that much to you." Neil Young

RE: How does your local economy feel? - james weatherford - 09-25-2008

quote:
Originally posted by DickWilson

... I expect we will do ok ...

Me too.

Actually, that is what has been on my mind most now for a couple of years -- this is not about me and how well I can do with the food we grow and needs we meet without fear of last week's or next week's news.

Somehow, it is about what we all do with the human experience.
Will let you know when I get a better idea of the details, but that is where I am up to now.
Smile

btw: in a related context, came across an interesting description of 'progress' - "positive and unprecedented".

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park

Dave M,

I hear ya, I was born in north east Texas 28 mile from Tyler. So, you can imagine running trot lines and gigin' frogs was life 101 for me.

I have no problem with that computer learnin' stuff. In fact I'm probably a little above average in my computer skillz since I write front-end and database applications, admin *nix servers, mysql database and I am a commercial graphic artist.

I just think we should teach our kids how to cook, clean, sharpen axes and knives, roof a house and make boudin before we try to make philosophers out of them.

There is nothing that irks me more than say, a Professor teaching a business course that has never actually started and ran a business.

The difference between “practice” and ‘theory” is that in theory, they are the same.

RE: How does your local economy feel? - aprild - 09-26-2008

Consider that cuts to public education as well as No Child Left Behind have put a severe chokehold on education at all levels.

My teacher friends tell me that there are no vocational ed classes in their high schools: no shop, nothing-- because there is no money and the emphasis has been so drastically placed on test scores and reading and math only.

Similary, elementary school teachers no longer teach science, history or art (etcetera) for the same reasons.

I don't need to tell you which administration and party has caused this situation.

I always thought a good liberal arts education was a great addition to practical skills and self-sufficiency. (And one doesn't have to kill wild animals in order to feed one's family.)

Esnap,

Is it not the parents' job to educate the child as s/he sees fit? This is not simply society's responsibility. I see no reason not to teach your child wildlore and gardening, take them to scouts and 4-H and send them to camp. I made sure my son could do all the things I held in high importance. I sent him to horse camp, had him build me things, had him help in the garden, helped him with his homework and let him know school was important, sent him to college and gave him fiscal, physical and mental support until he could stand on his own two feet in the world. And he can cook.

april