Punaweb Forum
Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) (/showthread.php?tid=21469)

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - Chunkster - 03-09-2020

quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

If the state, Ige, just said why wait and locked the state down

1. Ige would have to be able to make a decision, which capability he has yet to demonstrate.

2. Ige doesn't have the authority to shut down interstate transport because Federal authority pre-empts.

3. Ige won't dare preclude the big bailouts soon to be available for virus-stricken disaster areas.

I just saw an interview with Gov. Jay Inslee of Washington. Wow, what a difference. The man is decisive, articulate, and came up with a plan before the Feds did. Total contrast with the incompetent and indecisive Ige. This is why we can't have nice things . . . or even a mediocre state government.

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - ironyak - 03-09-2020

ironyak - “Call me when it's more threatening than falling coconuts here.” (from very early in the thread)
kneift - Sounds like your views have turned around a bit. Wink

lol - I was wondering if anyone was going to call me out on that. Should have figured it would be you! Wink

I humbly eat crow and give props to kander, 1v1, terracore, and others that had a better read/guess/intuition about this situation. The past comparisons I drew on, such as the H1N1, SARS, and Ebola outbreaks, have clearly proved insufficient to understand or predict where this appears to be headed.

The irony is that statistically, right here, right now, coconuts are still a greater threat to everyone's well-being. However, over the past several weeks we have approached the edge of a jungle of possible threats where the other side cannot yet be seen and the safest path through is heavily obscured. I guess I just hope everyone has their eyes open now as we collectively step into it.

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - knieft - 03-09-2020

quote:
Originally posted by ironyak
The irony is that statistically, right here, right now, coconuts are still a greater threat to everyone's well-being. However, over the past several weeks we have approached the edge of a jungle of possible threats where the other side cannot yet be seen and the safest path through is heavily obscured. I guess I just hope everyone has their eyes open now as we collectively step into it.

My main point was thanking you for sharing. (And I guess showing that you change with the data—always a welcome contrast when there’s a SNAFU or FUBAR sitch.)

Cheers,
Kirt

typo

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - kalakoa - 03-09-2020

ground planes in the United States if airlines fail to start collecting new forms of data on passengers

New travel restrictions and requirements was on my list. It's happening faster than I thought.

knieft - My main point was thanking you for sharing.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I was glossing over that part. It's been an instructive several weeks and I for one appreciate all the conversations and perspectives that have been shared here, from conspiracy theories to skeptics to news links to one-liners. While I participate in other online forums, Punaweb is a unique community, so many thanks to Rob and everyone else who makes it possible!

It's happening faster than I thought.
Amen to that!

Sorry if this is a bit far afield but it's from an ICU doctor in Italy dealing with COVID-19 currently. Might give some perspective on what an overwhelmed hospital looks like from the inside should it happen here.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1236933818654896129.html

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - MarkP - 03-10-2020

It sounds like even in Italy, as a medical crisis rages, there are those who are unaware. I am having trouble convincing my father to modify his behavior. I maintain that we should all just stay in starting today, because we can. They are both in their late 80s and I am presently free from those obligations that come with employment. My father however is governed by a restless nature modified by a degree of cognitive decline due to advanced age and an innate impulsiveness and self-centeredness (narcicism perhaps?) that I now recognize has always been with him. If I didn't know and love him as I do I would use terms like crazy, selfish, bully, and a$$hole to describe him. Anyway getting him to adapt his behavior and stay home instead of going out and driving miles to save 50 cents on a tank of gas is difficult even if I don't factor in the relief I have felt up until now when he is off on his adventures.

In short, when active transmission is verified in my neighborhood we will know that we should have been self-quarantining 2 weeks earlier, which won't have happened because dad is such a free spirit/loose cannon. When I challenged him a couple of days ago he about just staying home because it might help us stay alive he asked how people with our lifestyle could do that. In case I didn't make it clear, our lifestyle is such that we could all die and nobody would know for years as the power is payed automatically, etc. Mom spends half the day in bed and the other half in a chair in front of the TV given that she can hardly move after two strokes. Dad spends 1/3 of the day in bed, slightly less than 2/3 of the day on the couch in front of the TV, and the remainder going out on mostly non-essential errands. I do what ever I need to but at least try to wash hands regularly and wipe down the shopping cart handle as part of a coherent policy.

Normal people aren't taking this seriously enough or taking proper steps. My dad's not even normal.

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - randomq - 03-10-2020

Getting the flu or pneumonia can suck, especially when you live somewhere hot and humid without air conditioning, but... I am most concerned about passing it on to someone elderly that might not survive it. Please, even if you are not worried for yourself, use good hygiene for the sake of the vulnerable.

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - PaulW - 03-10-2020

If/when there is a vaccine I wonder how many people will refuse to take it? The Prez has already said he doesn't trust 'em so that'll be interesting.

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - dan d - 03-10-2020

Please read that drs report above. It real and direct from an er in the middle in italy
Scary

HPP