Punaweb Forum
Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) (/showthread.php?tid=21469)

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 03-12-2020

I was using and handling carts that had been used by a large number of people before me.

Stores I shop at:

Target - disinfectant cart wipes are on the right, immediately after you walk through the main entrance doors
KTA Puainako - motion activated hand sanitizer dispenser to the left when you enter the left side entrance (the side with the 10 item or less checkouts)

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - ironyak - 03-12-2020

If the economy does seriously tank, what will happen to SoSec?

So this is well above my pay grade and also in some other department. Any one with an ECON background?

I would point you to the concerns about Trump's push for adding a payroll tax cut into the emergency relief package being debated and whether it would even help at all (much like the ban on flights from Europe - makes almost no difference to the outcome now)
https://www.marketplace.org/2020/03/11/payroll-tax-cut-covid19/

Some see it as an attempt to intentionally under fund social security and medicare to drive them into insolvency. (although if the virus is allowed to spread that's also less seniors to draw on these funds, although less Trump voters as well - morbid truths)
https://www.democracynow.org/2020/3/11/headlines/trump_floats_700_billion_payroll_tax_cut_decried_as_stealth_attack_on_social_security

The comparison to Japan's deflationary banking situation has also been made.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/williampesek/2020/03/12/coronavirus-shows-how-trumps-fed-is-turning-america-into-japan/#1eaa96e13a30

This all becomes 4D chess real fast, but it's looking like 2008 might have nothing on 2020 when it comes to crippling the economy and triggering some serious changes.

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - 1voyager1 - 03-12-2020

quote:
Originally posted by ironyak

I also needed to do some shopping (horror of horrors)

Given all the coughs, the old people hugging and kissing, corona cruisers wandering about - truly the stuff of nightmares these days. Buy 4x of the usuals and bug out till next month.

Glad to hear you survived - probably that tempering of your immune system!

I am a survivor, always have been, and will be, until I'm not.
My immune system has been very strong since reaching adulthood.
Plus, I have been doing all I can to strengthen it as much as I can in preparation for this.
As near as I can figure, in the end that's the only defense.
Chances are that I and most everyone else will catch this sooner or later.
Then it will become a normal human infection with only a normal action on people with moderate moralities.

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - Guest - 03-12-2020

1voyager1 - I applaud your resiliency and envy your youth and obvious robust immune system. But, I would caution your cavalier attitude that may, in most situations be well founded, though I suspect not so much here.

Please consider, if you will, the information, just surfacing, regarding the progression of the disease and the long term effects on those that survive.

From: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/02/here-is-what-coronavirus-does-to-the-body/

Here’s what coronavirus does to the body
From blood storms to honeycomb lungs, here’s an organ-by-organ look at how COVID-19 harms humans.

Which in part reads:

On Monday, the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention released clinical details on the first 72,314 patients diagnosed through February 11. The report shows that COVID-19 killed 2.3 percent of patients, meaning it is currently 23 times more fatal than the seasonal flu. Severe disease and deaths were reported in every age group, except kids under nine years old...

Later it continues..

In the early days of an infection, the novel coronavirus rapidly invades human lung cells. Those lung cells come in two classes: ones that make mucus and ones with hair-like batons called cilia.

Mucus, though gross when outside the body, helps protect lung tissue from pathogens and make sure your breathing organ doesn’t dry out. The cilia cells beat around the mucus, clearing out debris like pollen or viruses.

Frieman explains that SARS loved to infect and kill cilia cells, which then sloughed off and filled patients’ airways with debris and fluids, and he hypothesizes that the same is happening with the novel coronavirus. That’s because the earliest studies on COVID-19 have shown that many patients develop pneumonia in both lungs, accompanied by symptoms like shortness of breath.

That’s when phase two and the immune system kicks in. Aroused by the presence of a viral invader, our bodies step up to fight the disease by flooding the lungs with immune cells to clear away the damage and repair the lung tissue.

When working properly, this inflammatory process is tightly regulated and confined only to infected areas. But sometimes your immune system goes haywire and those cells kill anything in their way, including your healthy tissue.

“So you get more damage instead of less from the immune response,” Frieman says. Even more debris clogs up the lungs, and pneumonia worsens. (Find out how the novel coronavirus compares to flu, Ebola, and other major outbreaks).

During the third phase, lung damage continues to build—which can result in respiratory failure. Even if death doesn’t occur, some patients survive with permanent lung damage. According to the WHO, SARS punched holes in the lungs, giving them “a honeycomb-like appearance”—and these lesions are present in those afflicted by novel coronavirus, too..."

The entire article, of which the above quote is a small part, is at the link above...

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - islandlvng - 03-12-2020

Only need to have a couple more topics started on covid19 and punawebs entire’s topic page will be about the virus! Kind of ridiculous considering the current situation here. Not sure why we need that many different conversations speaking on the exact same things over and over. It’s gotten so jumbled and disorganized you can barely tell what is fact and what is opinion.

No bueno.

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - ironyak - 03-12-2020

If you have ideas on how to better organize the info please share. There has been a good suggestion to create a new sub-forum, like those used for the lava flows, but this requires Rob to setup.

I think of this thread as the general chat, background, and related topic discussion while we wait for this to unfold.

Likely permanent threads:
"Prepping for a virus situation": Focused on prep & local supplies
"coronavirus testing in Hawaii": Seems self-explanatory and useful - summaries and local options for testing
"COVID-19 Coronavirus confirmed in Hawaii (2)": Details of positive cases with the summary count (until it doesn't matter anymore)

One-offs:
Postponing/canceling Merrie Monarche
COVID-19: World events - local impact
The Silver Lining in the COVID-19 Outbreak

So 7 threads so far - be nice to have them in their own area, but not swamping the board yet IMHO. See the 39 pages (All Topics) for the 2018 lava flow as a comparison:
http://punaweb.org/Forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=16

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - knieft - 03-12-2020

quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

If you’re counting on Amazon for COVID-19 supplies - - they told most of their employees to stay home:

The directive applies to all employees whose work requires them to be in an office, store, fulfillment center or in vehicles making deliveries.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/12/amazon-tells-all-employees-to-stay-home-amid-coronavirus-fears.html

The scheisse just got real.

Hmmm...

“Amazon told all of its employees around the world to stay home if they can do their jobs from home.”

That’s a bit different than the impression left by your post. Significant, but still.

Cheers,
Kirt

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - terracore - 03-12-2020

This is real-time here in Hawaii:

Yesterday a friend of mine on Maui has relative in the hospital with flu-like symptoms and pneumonia. Elderly man, tested negative for influenza. They did not test him for COVID-19 due to the answers he gave about where he had been etc. They ONLY tested him after being admitted to ICU.

Today: Co-worker on BI has flu-like symptoms and wanted to be tested for COVID-19. Urgent care said they couldn't test so she went to primary care physician who gave same answer. PCP said as far as he knew only the hospital could run the test.

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 03-12-2020

Tulsi a Gabbard wants to give you $1000 a month:

... we must act swiftly to provide a temporary universal basic payment of $1,000 per month to every American adult to help them weather the storm created by this crisis. Taking care of all Americans will stimulate our economy during this downturn,” said Rep. Tulsi Gabbard.

https://gabbard.house.gov/news/press-releases/rep-tulsi-gabbard-introduces-resolution-calling-emergency-universal-basic

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - dan d - 03-12-2020

All hospitals will have to send sample to cdc anyway. No tests really what 200 per week for the state, lol.

So how many peps were in contact with persons on the last 2 cruise ships docked on tues?

I went to suisan ,might have not been a good idea. Than a few days later the. Cruise ships comin home anyway.N o more port of calls.

Might have been safer to not let them inter port. Good job for some kais w surfboards.

And now Monarch. We have soo much aloha. It may injure us?
Aloha

HPP