Punaweb Forum
We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition (/showthread.php?tid=15831)

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 04-27-2015

We know where our enemy is on this planet by using these eyes in the sky.

What enemy on this planet could we possibly see from a telescope on top of Mauna Kea? Perhaps a spy on Haleakala?
gypsy, have you ever considered starring in a reality show? I would definitely watch an episode in which you and Opihikao Bob discussed anything.

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - Guest - 04-27-2015

HOTPE, thank you and good morning to ya. Lmao, O,Bob would be a good watch no doubt.

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - shockwave rider - 04-27-2015

quote:
Originally posted by ironyak

FYI, it's not little fire ants that were found:
"
Doing a cursory survey of the protest area around April 16, ants that are common at lower elevations but haven't gained a foothold on Mauna Kea's heights were discovered in a pile of palms that was being used to thatch a hale across from the visitor information station at about 9,400 feet, Klasner said.

Klasner said six of the little black critters known as Ochetellus glaber were collected and others were observed."

Rob - can you weigh in on posting content on PW from behind a paywall?

It is good that they weren't LFAs, but there are no native ants in Hawaii, all are non native invasive species, so they still carelessly introduced a species up there that did not live there before.

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - ironyak - 04-27-2015

Agreed shockwave - just clarifying the details. Ultimately it was reported to the DLNR whose responsibility it is to manage that area, but no response from them so far.

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - beejee - 04-27-2015

signed

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - PunaMauka2 - 04-27-2015

i declare the ants little maunakea protectors. may they bite at the ankles of telescope-wielding galaxy gawkers and those who would otherwise desecrate that which is sacred. - StarDate 2015.

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - TomK - 04-27-2015

Thanks for the clarification, Ironyak, zoology was never one of my strongest subjects. I had assumed they were fire ants. The paragraph prior to the one you posted is important as well:

"As part of its duties, the Office of Mauna Kea Management monitors for invasive species around the Hawaii island summit, including on deliveries of equipment for existing telescopes and astronomy, said Fritz Klasner, natural resource program manager."

I had brought up my concern about this in another TMT thread if anyone remembers. The staff who work at the observatories and MKSS work under strict guidelines regarding invasive species and are subject to inspections. We have to keep equipment clean and can face being banned from the mountain if we fail to adhere to the rules. These rules do not apply to others visiting the mountain.

I don't think there's much point in replying to the rest of gypsy's comments, they're frankly just too far out there, other than:

"I guess I am not sure of all the purposes this Godzilla telescope will be useful for, could other countries tie into and use this telescope from afar?"

The TMT is going to be used to do astronomy, and indeed will be quite useful in that role.

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - rainyjim - 04-27-2015

entomology = insects

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - TomK - 04-27-2015

Thank you. Told you it's not my subject!

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - Rob Tucker - 04-27-2015

"DLNR whose responsibility it is to manage that area".....

Hahahahahahahaha! It is sad that that is so funny.