Punaweb Forum
Nēnē Gosling Death Points To Disease Carried By Feral Cats - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Nēnē Gosling Death Points To Disease Carried By Feral Cats (/showthread.php?tid=23327)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Nēnē Gosling Death Points To Disease Carried By Feral Cats - HiloJulie - 05-07-2024

If I had made your mistake, I would have chuckled, apologized, and corrected it.  Done deal.“

Which is exactly what I did. Thank you very much. 

Now back to topic:

If the prevention of continued feeding of feral cats, whose absolute ability of environmental destruction is well known and documented must be dealt with in a “humane” manner, then what about all the baby mongooses? Why don’t we have mongoose feeding days alternating with feral cat feeding days? Certainly, we should be “humane” to the mongoose, which does similar environmental damage, but those little baby mongooses are so cute and cuddly right?

What about the baby rats? 

Oh the humanity!!!

RE: Nēnē Gosling Death Points To Disease Carried By Feral Cats - Obie - 05-07-2024

The next problem coming up is rabbits.

While they are cute and cuddly, rabbits can also be a pest. In other places of the world, rabbits are notorious for their destruction of gardens, ranches, farms, and native habitats. Allowing rabbits to create a stable wild population can quickly escalate into a wide range of problems for Hawai‛i.

When rabbits were first introduced to Australia in the 1850s, they quickly spread across the entire continent. The first introduction started with only 13 rabbits, but today Australia has a population of over 200 million rabbits. They were the cause of the extinction of many ground-dwelling mammals and plants in Australia. Besides just destroying crops, rabbits ring trees and eat any seedlings trying to sprout, causing loss of vegetation and soil erosion.

While rabbits make cute pets, they become a huge nuisance when they are released into the wild. Since 2016, more and more rabbits are being sighted on Hawai‛i island – and we’re asking all of our residents to keep an eye out and report loose rabbit sightings.

RE: Nēnē Gosling Death Points To Disease Carried By Feral Cats - HiloJulie - 05-07-2024

Good point Obie. 

Hawaii did have a rabbit problem back in the early 1900’s which back then forced the mass extermination of all rabbits by any means necessary. 

This entire discussion reminds me of the coqui frog invasion. 

First it was “what the heck is that sound?”

Then it was “OMG kill those damn things”

Then it was “the coqui frog is “sacred”

Then it was “there’s just too many of them we can’t stop it”

Now it’s accept it. No matter what the damage. 

But we must be “humane”.

RE: Nēnē Gosling Death Points To Disease Carried By Feral Cats - Wao nahele wahine - 05-07-2024

(05-07-2024, 07:30 PM)HiloJulie Wrote: If I had made your mistake, I would have chuckled, apologized, and corrected it.  Done deal.“

Another fib...at least you're consistent.

(05-07-2024, 08:55 PM)Wao nahele wahine Wrote:
(05-07-2024, 07:30 PM)HiloJulie Wrote: If I had made your mistake, I would have chuckled, apologized, and corrected it.  Done deal.“

Clearly, you and ‘elepaio deserve each other!

You and him are very consistent.

RE: Nēnē Gosling Death Points To Disease Carried By Feral Cats - Wao nahele wahine - 05-07-2024

(05-07-2024, 08:57 PM)HiloJulie Wrote:

Never met 'elepaio.

(05-07-2024, 08:59 PM)Wao nahele wahine Wrote:
(05-07-2024, 08:57 PM)HiloJulie Wrote:

Never met 'elepaio.

Neither have I. Which I consider to be a blessing.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Funny...starting to consider the same thing about you.

Are we done now with the cat fight?

[/quote]

[/quote]

That’s up to you. You started it. 

Now, back to the topic:

As I mentioned earlier, I don’t understand why the Nene, which has survived 500,000 years, which is one of only 5 indignant species in this State, that was hunted by man and killed by invasive species down to the point that less than 50 survived is not considered even more “sacred” than a fricken mountain top is beyond comprehension.

(05-07-2024, 09:28 PM)HiloJulie Wrote: Neither have I. Which I consider to be a blessing.

[/quote]

That’s up to you. You started it. 

Now, back to the topic:

As I mentioned earlier, I don’t understand why the Nene, which has survived 500,000 years, which is one of only 5 indignant species in this State, that was hunted by man and killed by invasive species down to the point that less than 50 survived is not considered even more “sacred” than a fricken mountain top is beyond comprehension.
[/quote]

LOL! Go read back through your comments to me and see who started it. LOL! Evidently there are other things beyond your comprehension.