Punaweb Forum
What subdivision has best weather - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: What subdivision has best weather (/showthread.php?tid=10269)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

What subdivision has best weather - yahseeker - 05-17-2012

I have heard that some places ,the sun is brutal. What subdivision do you prefer, due to weather?

RE: What subdivision has best weather - terracore - 05-17-2012

It's pretty brutal in HPP. We were looking at two lots there last July and it was HOT. I prefer more altitude.

RE: What subdivision has best weather - missydog1 - 05-17-2012

You have to balance the negatives.

Near sea level, you can have brutal heat in the summer months.
Higher up, you may have more rain and gray than you like, particularly during winter, but really year round.

For example, Orchidland, is to me too damp and prone to mold, and Mountainview is way too gloomy and wet.

The style of the building can do much to mitigate whatever factors you don't like, for example a pleasant covered lanai on the windward side gives you a place to get away from heat, and insulation helps.

For me, sea level elevation is perfect in winter, and up mauka is great in summer, but there is no one elevation or microclimate that doesn't get too hot or too cold at some point, IMHO. Luckily, everyone is different and each area has its fans.

RE: What subdivision has best weather - dayna - 05-17-2012

I LOVE the weather in Volcano. I love the warm rain, I love the cloudy not too sunny-ness of it.

I've spent most of my life in a cold rainforest, and I LOVE rainforests, just prefer a bit more warmth.

When we were there in December it rained like no one had seen in a long time. Smile I loved it regardless. We worked outside dripping wet in the pouring rain and felt pretty happy!

I like the higher altitude for two other reasons, less neighbors (mostly) and less BUGS!

Dayna

www.JasonAndBlue.com
My artwork

As I said, something for everyone!

You are just now moving here from Alaska, dayna. You aren't acclimated yet. As you spend years in Hawai'i, your perception of cold changes.

I have lived here a decade, and when I go to Volcano on a rainy day it feels freezing to me. It took maybe a year or two for me to feel the change begin.

Eventually though, anyone who stays is going to see the contrast with the old climate dim, and the body will respond to variations in Hawai'i weather. Like I never think about, oh glad I'm not in ____ (name of cold place), because it's all too long ago.

There are a number of people I know who are in love with Volcano. I would rather live there than Mountainview.

RE: What subdivision has best weather - yahseeker - 05-17-2012

Wow Volcano sounds attractive, rain forests. I like rain forests.

RE: What subdivision has best weather - csgray - 05-17-2012

Now for me HPP has perfect weather, we get sunny days and rainy nights, the winter low this year was 58 and our highest summer high has still been beneath 85. Everywhere but above 2500' is hot when the trade winds die down.

Carol

There's a wide variety of rain forest on the east side. Different elevations have different types of plant species.

You need to come and look, in person.

While I agree with your experience, deborah, it can get pretty darned hot if one can't afford to be right on the ocean. I looked at a property on F street, I think it was. I could see the waves breaking, as there was only one lot between us and the cliffs, but it was a one story house and it BAKED in July.

Had it been designed better it would have been different, but it was a kit house from the 90's. The design of the home is everything. As for being out in the yard, a lot depends on how much black lava rock there is radiating the heat. Plantings make a huge difference.

I looked at another house over near Beach Road and Maku'u, in summer, which was two story and had a big upstairs lanai. It was a tad farther from the ocean but ever so much cooler, and also had an established yard.

Point to the OP being, it varies a ton from property to property how hot you will feel.

RE: What subdivision has best weather - macuu222 - 05-17-2012

Tradewinds pick up right about 5th street as your walking to the ocean in HPP. I've walked it every day for years and with few exceptions this is the case. "Brutal Heat" is subjective. Try living in central florida in the summertime without an air conditioner! Now that's Brutal Heat!