Punaweb Forum
Generators and Inverters - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Generators and Inverters (/showthread.php?tid=10720)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Generators and Inverters - Royall - 09-19-2012

I've got a Honda EU2000i generator. I bought it some time back for a back up power source with the understanding that you should use an inverter with any appliance that has a microchip in it. That said, I find the 2000i that I bought isn't enough to power my catchment pump(that has a microchip). The cost of getting a 3000w inverter genset is cost prohibitive for me. I see many non-inverter genset available that would run the pump, UV light, and much of my modest home for a fare price. Is there a component that I can add to a lower priced genset to clean up the output so I don't accidentally fry my electronic gear? I found a great Honda powered genset on Amazon for 1100 bucks with free shipping that would fit the bill, if I can find something to give me a clean sine wave for electronic microchips.

Royall

Hale O Na Mea Pa`ani

RE: Generators and Inverters - DanielP - 09-19-2012

Royall,

Sounds odd to me that a catchment pump would require a pure sine wave, and that the Honda2000i doesn't have enough power. A 1/2 horse home depot pump should work fine. Could you have a problem with or wrong pump? Just wonderin'

Dan

RE: Generators and Inverters - oink - 09-19-2012

Due to hurricanes, with my modest Home Depot bought Troy Bilt 5550 generator, I've run my 11/2 hp pump, TV, microwave, refrigeration and computers for several weeks with no ill effects. I could not run the pump and refrigeration at the same time but you can easily work around that. My much older larger generator had poor sine wave which prevented using electronics but I think most modern mid grade and better generators are fine. I wouldn't bet on a cheap Chinese import working well.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

RE: Generators and Inverters - Royall - 09-19-2012

Dan, I have 1hp Grundfos that does have a microchip. My 2000i just falls on its face and then kicks out. Oink, maybe I'm just overly cautious. I've read horror stories on the net of fried components. Everyone of my appliances including my on demand gas hot water heater all have microprocessors. Scary to think how much money it would cost to fix/replace if there was a glitch.

Royall

Hale O Na Mea Pa`ani

RE: Generators and Inverters - DanielP - 09-19-2012

Royall,

Well, You have what you have and I can understand why the 2000i isn't enough. It amazes me why anyone would recommend a 1hp pump for a catchment system. That would be big enough for a 150' deep well. Might be cheaper to get a different (HD 1/2 hp) pump for back-up.

Dan

RE: Generators and Inverters - oink - 09-19-2012

quote:
It amazes me why anyone would recommend a 1hp pump for a catchment system. That would be big enough for a 150' deep well. Might be cheaper to get a different (HD 1/2 hp) pump for back-up.
Agreed, I originally designed my system to run my 1/2 hp irrigation pump during outages. With that pump I don't have to switch off my refrigeration before using the pump. Problem is my well with the big submersible pump has much better water so I use it. Sulfur water takes getting used to and that's what the irrigation well is. I can't imagine why you would need such a large pump for catchment on a single family house.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

RE: Generators and Inverters - Royall - 09-19-2012

Well, I got the tank, food grade liner, cover and cover support, pump, and filters in a package deal. This model Grundfos doesn't require an air bladder tank. So far I've been very happy with it.

Royall

Hale O Na Mea Pa`ani

RE: Generators and Inverters - David M - 09-19-2012

X3 that replacing your water pump may be the most reasonable. How often you need it anyway?

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com

RE: Generators and Inverters - Obie - 09-19-2012

The EU2000i was built to be paralleled with a second EU2000i.
An expensive but safe option.

RE: Generators and Inverters - MarkP - 09-19-2012

This might seem like splitting hairs, but regular old iron generators all produce sine wave power, just not having very tightly controlled frequency or voltage. They still might in fact fry your electronics though. I only mention this because the common perception is that inverter generators (the i in EU2000i) all produce perfect power. In reality they electronically produce pseudo-sine wave power that in the case of the Hondas, Yamahas, and other reputable brands replicate true sine waves closely enough that none of the electronics cares and while they are at it they also take care of that wandering voltage/frequency thing, no charge. Using those generators you do come out ahead in the power quality department. My point is that there is such a thing as a modified square wave inverter and I have read that there are generators out there with inverter in the name that only give you a square wave output.

Another difference between inverter generators and regular old swing-a-loop-of-wire-through-a-magnetic-field-60-times-a-second generators (which automatically gives you a true sine wave output) is that the dedication to quality of high quality inverter generators is such that they won't give you bad power even when you wish they would hang in there and give it the old college try. If they can't produce the power being demanded, they stop trying. The old dumb generator would just slow down, which results in less voltage at lower frequency, which, depending on the load, often gets the job done albeit more slowly and less elegently. It also might result in excessive current flow and burned up motors.

I am currently putting together a solar based power system at my place. I'll depend heavily on generator back-up. I settled on a 48 volt system because I got a free true sine wave UPS that I intend to use as my inverter. I discovered right away that the power quality of my old iron horse Generac generator didn't rate very highly with my UPS/inverter. This came as a surprise although it shouldn't have. The purpose of a UPS is to monitor the quality of the grid power and go to battery power when grid power gets too messy. Apparently my genny power is too messy most of the time. Surprisingly even my EU1000i doesn't always meet the demanding standards of the UPS. Perhaps the inverter/UPS wasn't so free after all.