Punaweb Forum
"Backing In" Parking Lot Syndrome? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: "Backing In" Parking Lot Syndrome? (/showthread.php?tid=11233)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

"Backing In" Parking Lot Syndrome? - Kiana - 12-28-2012

Aloha! We are here full time going on two years, after 10 years of part time. Just wondering, what is the deal with people who like to back into parking stalls? Just can't figure the allure or benefit of it...in busy crowded parking lots? How can backing into a narrow car space be easier than backing out into a parking lot aisle upon departure? It snarls up the already crowded scene. Not a gender issue, as we've seen as many women as men do this, but it does seem to be an important local thing for many. Just curious to know the local lore on this one. Mahalo!

RE: "Backing In" Parking Lot Syndrome? - Kelena - 12-28-2012

Getting out of any parking lot in Hawaii can be a chore. Traffic "engineers" make absolutely certain that there is only ONE good way out of any given parking lot, no matter how congested. To find the way out, you must navigate a labyrinth. The parking stalls are designed so that if you back out, you have a really good chance of backing into a giant, lifted truck. You will always have a very large vehicle parked next to you, blocking your view as you attempt to back out. You will have no idea whether there is a vehicle or a child in your path until you are 3/4 of the way out. When you are backing in, you can see the obstacles behind you, which should be no obstacles since you are presumably backing into an empty parking space.

Hawaii needs traffic engineers who weren't educated in Cairo or Rome.

RE: "Backing In" Parking Lot Syndrome? - kalakoa - 12-28-2012

It's generally faster/easier to park "way out there" while everyone else fights to park really close, and you get some exercise along the way.

RE: "Backing In" Parking Lot Syndrome? - dmbwest - 12-28-2012

Ugh, Was typing same thing Kalakoa ... Always a space ready and sometimes, even allow oneself to be smug as you walk past the ones still waiting to get in that close up spot.

Same same on drive throughs.

sea ya out in in the weeds!
aloha,
pog

RE: "Backing In" Parking Lot Syndrome? - cwoods61 - 12-28-2012

quote:
Originally posted by Kelena

Getting out of any parking lot in Hawaii can be a chore. Traffic "engineers" make absolutely certain that there is only ONE good way out of any given parking lot, no matter how congested. To find the way out, you must navigate a labyrinth. The parking stalls are designed so that if you back out, you have a really good chance of backing into a giant, lifted truck. You will always have a very large vehicle parked next to you, blocking your view as you attempt to back out. You will have no idea whether there is a vehicle or a child in your path until you are 3/4 of the way out. When you are backing in, you can see the obstacles behind you, which should be no obstacles since you are presumably backing into an empty parking space.

Hawaii needs traffic engineers who weren't educated in Cairo or Rome.

This is why I often do it. I have a low riding car, and I often find myself sandwiched between big SUV's and jacked up trucks. And people tend to drive too fast in parking lots or drive the wrong way.

RE: "Backing In" Parking Lot Syndrome? - dayna - 12-28-2012

Weird, it has never bothered me. I don't usually back in, but do see people do it. I figure it must be safer for them to do so. Never thought to be upset over the extra few seconds that they take. If I was in that big of a hurry I sure as heck wouldn't be trying to go to a store in this town!

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com

RE: "Backing In" Parking Lot Syndrome? - terracore - 12-28-2012

I'm not sure I understand the question. You either have to back into a parking spot, or back out of one. Either way you are spending the same % of time backing up and snarling traffic. Only other option is when two spots aren't separated by a curb and you pull into a spot, pass it, and park in the next spot as if you had backed in.

It is funny that you asked this question because I backed into a spot yesterday and some guy looked at me like I was insane. I don't make a habit of it, but in this case I had passed the spot and realized that it was probably my best option, so I backed into it. Maybe he was pissed because he had to wait for me. Well, if I was backing out instead of backing in, he would have been waiting either way.

RE: "Backing In" Parking Lot Syndrome? - cwoods61 - 12-28-2012

I've been held up more often by some giant SUV trying to squeeze into a compact space and having to go back and forth several times. Rarely has anyone backing in held me up. Then there are those drivers who take their time leaving a space when they see someone is waiting for it. At least have the courtesy to tell someone if you won't be leaving anytime soon.

When backing out of a space, here's what I have to look out for:

Speeders
Wrong way drivers
Pedestrians not watching where they're going.
Small children whose parents are too busy talking on their cell phones to notice their kids are putting themselves in harm's way.

I feel much safer going forward out of a parking space.

So many of the parking lots around here don't have enough ways in or out. For instance, I'd love it if the Waiakea center had an exit by Ross for northbound traffic onto Kanoelehua. And right turn only out of PKP and Waiakea center by Hilo Hattie's and the Chevron station.

RE: "Backing In" Parking Lot Syndrome? - David M - 12-28-2012

I don't back in all the time, but prefer it over backing out. Prefer backing in at home as well. As for time, I'd say backing in/pulling out might be a tad more efficient time wise and a whole lot safer. When backing out, especially at WallyWorld someone almost always decides to walk behind me, can't recall that ever happening when backing in.

FYI, in the military it was called "combat parking"

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com

RE: "Backing In" Parking Lot Syndrome? - dmbwest - 12-28-2012

Might as well make a list.

Cars just edged over enough to 'absorb' two spaces ... Typically something brand new and bloated.

The owners? of resturants parking in Loading Zone and Blue parking any time they wish. See backside of food courts ... Blue VW wagon any day and misc. trucks ...

Speeders in parking lots ...

Butt tossers just prior to exiting car or entering store.

Oblivious pedestrians walking down the middle.

WAY too Young slackers, with sign asking for money.

Waiting for spot when one open 3 spaces away.

WalMart closing that one lot with cones you don't see 'till you are 'in' and have to back out.

Its all there but never let it ruin your day.
aloha,
pog