Punaweb Forum
RV vs boat - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: RV vs boat (/showthread.php?tid=11583)

Pages: 1 2

RV vs boat - unknownjulie - 03-11-2013

Just out of curiosity, it would seem to make more sense for people who are thinking of trying to live in an RV on a lot, to instead live on a boat parked on their lot. Wouldnt a boat be a much smarter option given the climate? Do people do this? Why or why not? I am assuming the toilet is like an RV toilet with a tank that needs to be empted. Is that correct? You could probably vent that directly into a cesspool right?

RE: RV vs boat - Carey - 03-11-2013

I have seen 'project boats' on CL- in the ad they mention using as ohana...having owned & stored both on our mainland property for years here is a short list of downsides & pluses that I can think of:

Boat Downside: most are much more cramped (lower headroom & the 'pointy end' thing- usually only good for a 'v berth', usually micro galley & head areas, most have drainholes - if plugged they can fill up - if opened, bugs happen, expense of repairs, engine in-board or out-board each has different issues to deal with in storage, trailer maintenance & potential 'rocking the boat' on the rails

Boat Pluses: trailerable, can use after building for pleasure, should be water proof if in good condition, usually made with water resistant materials throughout, head clean-out facilities at most harbors, not as obvious 'non-conforming' living arrangement on property

RV Downside: may not hold up well in climate here (carpet & MDF are used in many & insulation can harbor "guest pests"), no RV dump station on island (have to direct dump - no pumping to assist - be VERY careful with what goes into that tank - clogs on direct dumps can be a bear!), obvious 'non-conforming' living arrangement on property, if it has engine, need to account for storage maintenance on engine, after building - then what?

RV Pluses: one unit to deal with (do not have to have trailer & boat) more normal living space - rectangular w/ higher ceilings, usually much more storage area, much more window space, 'normal' doorway

RE: RV vs boat - Bullwinkle - 03-11-2013

Boats are pointy and narrow ever try to buy a triangle shaped bed sheet or pillow

boats have poor sleeping areas (berths) foam to sleep on is pricey - mattresses dont come in triangles either - grin

RE: RV vs boat - ericlp - 03-11-2013

I once saw a BIG catamaran in Honolulu Craigs List ... I think the dude wanted 5K for it, but it was huge. Storage, bathroom and bedrooms were in the side hauls while the living space was in the middle and you had a big area on top too. It was in pretty good condition but I don't know how you'd get the thing on your lot since it didn't have a trailer.

RE: RV vs boat - VancouverIslander - 03-12-2013

A bus can often be had cheap. Walking around Eden Roc and Fern Forest, I've seen everything - shipping containers, 10x10 sheds, tarps, you name it. Haven't seen any boats yet.

RE: RV vs boat - Seeb - 03-12-2013

Wouldn't it be easier to just build a shed

RE: RV vs boat - terracore - 03-12-2013

Never been in a boat that didn't stink of mold and diesel.

RE: RV vs boat - Rob JD - 03-12-2013

The nice thing about a boat is that it will be on a trailer so when someone steals it, it will be an easy drive off for them....

BC to Kea'au

RE: RV vs boat - unknownjulie - 03-12-2013

yeah, well if it's not nailed down.... Oh wait a minute, they'll steal the nails to! Anyhow, I'm just thinking of something more waterproof than a fiberboard rv, but that is temporary, portable living.

RE: RV vs boat - Seeb - 03-12-2013

had a "Wells Cargo" type trailer that i made into a lunch wagon back east, it had more space than most RVs and better made
think you can get them from "Troy's" on the other side