Punaweb Forum
Buying fresh, wild caught Salmon - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Buying fresh, wild caught Salmon (/showthread.php?tid=11605)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Buying fresh, wild caught Salmon - dayna - 03-15-2013

I know that it gets flown in here all the time on ice.

Other than Island Naturals does anyone know where to purchase fresh (not frozen) wild caught salmon from either the pacific northwest or Alaska?

So far, everywhere I've looked it's been either farmed or atlantic (except for Island Naturals but it's pretty spendy there). If that's my only option I'll keep buying it there! But I was hoping to find another place to purcahse it.

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com

RE: Buying fresh, wild caught Salmon - Carey - 03-15-2013

Suisan fresh fish market normally has fresh (not frozen) salmon....on Lihiwai (Banyon/Manono & Hwy19) by the Wailoa river bridge... maybe theirs is Pacific NW??? or maybe Georges Meat Market???

RE: Buying fresh, wild caught Salmon - dayna - 03-15-2013

Thanks, I've been to the Suisan but I totally forgot about that place!

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com

RE: Buying fresh, wild caught Salmon - Oregon Woodsmoke - 03-15-2013

There is a season for wild salmon and you will not be able to buy unfrozen wild salmon outside of that season. The wild salmon season is, by the way, quite short.

Wild caught season is normally spring-summer - King salmon is already running & in season...

I do miss the fresh fresh coho & chinook we would get while boating on Lake Michigan.... but there were no runs...

Oregon Woodsmoke, I'm from SouthEast Alaska understand about seasons. I should be able to get fresh Salmon this time of year.

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com

RE: Buying fresh, wild caught Salmon - ericlp - 03-15-2013

Costco...

But the fish in Hawaii is 10 times better so...WHY?

RE: Buying fresh, wild caught Salmon - unknownjulie - 03-15-2013

That is true about the salmon season being short. IF you notice in the walmart, the cans of wildcaught salmon goes down in price during that time. I stock up then for the year. That's what's so great about a blog. All kinds of people doing all kinds of things! I go to suisan all the time also and ask about their seafood. The only things local are the fish. The rest is all from other places. The shellfish is from asia and the "tiny lobster bite things" are caught off of new zealand. I rarely buy the seafood because "you dont know what's in it". I asked about the taco (squid) and those are frozen and bought elsewhere also. I was so sad to hear this. But! The Ono and Ahi are local at least!

Costco, last time I was there a month ago, had farmed salmon. Sad EW.

I'm not "used" to the fish in Hawaii yet. I really like salmon. The pink, kinda oily, hard to explain what I like about it. My favorite is torn between white king and sockeye. Copper River Sockeye Salmon is my FAVORITE. I'd pay a ton of money for that salmon, and have. I've had fresh caught white king salmon a few times and it was real yummy.

Is there a Hawaii equivalent of salmon. I don't care much for halibut, or cod type fishes. I love "mud bugs" or "crayfish".

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com

The only salmonoids in the state that I know of are the river trout that were introduced into Kauai waters a century or more ago... there may be others... but probably none on this...

Some call the rainbow yellowtail (E. bipinnulata) Hawaii salmon, but I have no idea why....taste is different to me...