Punaweb Forum
google earth/maps update - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: google earth/maps update (/showthread.php?tid=11687)

Pages: 1 2 3

google earth/maps update - alaskyn66 - 03-28-2013

I just noticed that Google maps has updated its satellite images for the big island... Interesting to see the changes. I am in Eden rock and can see many changes... I assume the whole island is
Updated.

RE: google earth/maps update - pahoated - 03-28-2013

That is very interesting. There was the news this morning that Google had updated the Fukushima area, haven't gone to look at that yet. They haven't updated the BI map in Maps but it is partially updated in Earth. One thing that can't be controlled with satellite shots are clouds, so zooming out, the new replacement areas will be visible, with higher resolution and different cloud patterns. Very cool.

"It was a majority decision to descend into the Dark Ages. Don't worry, be happy, bang on da drum all day! Onward to Elysium."

RE: google earth/maps update - konabish - 03-28-2013

Nothing
compares
to seeing
the earth
from above...
Google Earth is one of those free things that is very worthwhile to have. Thanks for the update.

RE: google earth/maps update - ericlp - 03-28-2013

wow... even my house is on it, kinda cool but kinda too bad. Would have been nice if could cover moved in. I bet new software is in the works for google. It wouldn't be hard to splice in the old data if there is cloud cover and no cloud with the older maps than they would just splice that data into the new picture.

HPP looks really improved. But not as bad as Hawaiian Beaches. Looks like a small town of Hilo.

RE: google earth/maps update - terracore - 03-29-2013

Huge improvement. And recent. I can see our neighbor's newest shack which he put up just a few weeks ago.

RE: google earth/maps update - pahoated - 03-29-2013

The previous imagery that was there was about 5 years ago, combined with street views that were from about 2 years ago. It would be useful to switch back and forth between the two but that is keyhole tech to overlay. This is also unclass, classified is real time and many orders of resolution higher. License plates can be seen with slant view signal processing. The ability to spin the Earth around in one second with a mouse sweep means roughly 25,000 miles per second or 90,000,000 miles per hour.

"It was a majority decision to descend into the Dark Ages. Don't worry, be happy, bang on da drum all day! Onward to Elysium."

RE: google earth/maps update - macuu222 - 03-29-2013

I can't get any street views in HPP. I drag the streetview icon down to the street in front of my house and its just flat with no dimension

RE: google earth/maps update - DoryGray - 03-29-2013

Ditto, I think it's b/c HPP has hahaha "private roads". Google doesn't enter private subdivisions.

RE: google earth/maps update - csgray - 03-29-2013

Google didn't do street view in any of Hawaii Island's "private" subdivisions, including HPP. They were treated just like gated communities are on the mainland.

Carol

RE: google earth/maps update - Rob JD - 03-29-2013

Orchidland Estates has Streetviews and are private roads. They are older ones, but still work fine.

Bowen Island to Big Island