Punaweb Forum
crazy road construction on 130 - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: crazy road construction on 130 (/showthread.php?tid=11845)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

crazy road construction on 130 - unknownjulie - 05-01-2013

While traveling today from Keaau, back to Hilo I witnessed the most dangerous road construction conditions I have ever seen in my life. There were lanes that were marked with wavey paint. There were at least 20 orange cones that I counted that had been mowed down accidently by motorists who couldnt figure out where the lanes "were". These cones were then strewn all over the middle of the road. There were lanes that started and then stopped, and I'd have to swerve into another "lane". I had to stop in the center of the road at one point. There was also one policeman and one security person milling around in the middle of the road while all of this was going on... It was around noontime. Did anyone else see this? What on earth was going on? This all was occuring with fairly heavy traffic. I felt like I was on "candid camera" or an episode of "mythbusters" or something.

RE: crazy road construction on 130 - punaticbychoice - 05-01-2013

ah yes, aside from that little gem julie,
the normal merge lane and road from Kilauea Puna bound to 11 was coned off with no warning to driver on either Kilauea or 11 that there was a new merge point before Makalika.
I saw some near misses at the new temporary merge.
No HDOT signs, no CoH signs, nothing.
This was noon to 1pm that I saw this.
I guess the guys at HDOT really don't like complaints from Puna about our already deadly
roads and want to hurt and kill some more of us and other Hawai'i residents and taxpayers.
Just to prove the point and put the fear of HDOT in us.
Neil, you're in charge of the administrative departments, fix YOUR people up at HDOT.
Now.

RE: crazy road construction on 130 - Rob Tucker - 05-01-2013

Once the widening of Hwy. 130 begins it is expected to take eight years to complete. Get ready for some real driving fun.

RE: crazy road construction on 130 - Carey - 05-01-2013

at 9:30 the signs were up on 11 after the interchange...(bright new temp fabric diamonds & the older traffic construction signs & the lighted signs - starting at the 11/130 intersection light.)...ADD This sounds like what I saw on 11, where on 130 was this???

the vehicle in front of me continued at speed & several cones were blown out of line by this one vehicle (and the vehicle behind me did not seem to appreciate that I had slowed - I noticed the bright new fabric signs & figured someone might be working ahead). The police at the middle did get the vehicle in front to slow just before the merge area...and before the crew measuring & marking for the new lines...but just before & he did blow one cone right at the crew....

have no idea if they took down all of the signage between 9:30 & when you were on the road...or maybe the signage is soo been there done that... that people do not notice it...I may not have, if it wasn't for those new bright fabric signs....

RE: crazy road construction on 130 - unknownjulie - 05-01-2013

It was almost the entire length of the road that goes along where the zoo is. It was a really long stretch! This wasnt just one problem area. ONce I got to my turnoff before the McDonald's it seemed to have cleared up. I have never seen anything like it. Especially those two people standing out in the middle of the highway with all the cars zooming by and trying to avoid all the cones that had been hit already! Plus, the painted lines were all wavey. Since I havent heard of an accident, I guess we all ran the guantlet ok, but I just couldnt believe what I was seeing.

RE: crazy road construction on 130 - punaticbychoice - 05-01-2013

I don't think you understand that there was a different but related problem.
In a related area.
Kilauea from the 1 lane bridge.
The road that becomes the merge lane from Kilauea to 11 was coned off forcing a turn directly into traffic on 11.
No signs, no notice to drivers.
Potentially a catastrophe.

RE: crazy road construction on 130 - Carey - 05-01-2013

That is HWY 11...same area I was on... the old signs have been up since November (weather permitting) Today was the first time I have seen those new bright orange fabric signs...

The wavey lines are tape, and have been commented on previous threads... the two guys at the lane split/merge were attempting to get the traffic to obey the construction zone speed limit...perhaps the crew laying out the lines were on a short break, or may someone zinged a cone at the crew...or... they were working & not noticed...but the crew was working at 9:30, just beyond the lane split at Macademia....& a cone did fly by them from the vehicle in front of me...

RE: crazy road construction on 130 - David M - 05-01-2013

Had reason to drive 130 in Keaau today ::: shudder::::
Glad I don't get out often Smile

That said, I did enjoy my Chicken Parm at Native Pasta and Steaks. Not sure why "steaks" is in the name. I think there were about 2 steaks on the entree menu. They said the chicken park was hand made, not a frozen kind.

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com

RE: crazy road construction on 130 - dmbwest - 05-01-2013

I humbly submit you guys are looking at this from the wrong perspective ... Just slow down and be happy ... Dis ain't conus. Love it or leave it.

You moved here, so did / are a lot of other people and now dis happening. .... Please do not take it out on the road crew guys. Or anyone else you deal with during the day for that matter ....

That said ... Always amusing to read newbys ranting about "wavey" temp road lines. You REALLY think thats it ??! How dey gonna stay ? How long have you been driving ? Never saw this before ?

RE: crazy road construction on 130 - TomK - 05-01-2013

Pog - understand what you are saying but the amateurish planning and disregard for motorists' safety that is currently occurring on hwy 11 is inexcusable. And since you ask, I've been here nearly two decades and have never seen anything like this before. Maybe this is what it was like in the 70s or 80s but there was less traffic back then. Last week I saw some incidents on that highway that could have been catastrophic due to the inept way the work is being done and the ill-thought-out signage, or lack of it. Couple that with the usual poor driving it's not a good situation.

Jeeze, I hate to think what's going to happen when 130 starts to be widened (if it ever does).

I don't blame the road crew, it's whoever is in charge of the work. They are utterly incompetent.

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/