Punaweb Forum
Mailboxes in HPP - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Mailboxes in HPP (/showthread.php?tid=1187)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Mailboxes in HPP - ef9 - 06-26-2007

Hello,

How do you get a mailbox out on the main drag while living in HPP?

I see mail boxes on the main roads, Kaloli, Paradise and Makuu.

Stan

RE: Mailboxes in HPP - JerryCarr - 06-26-2007

There are very long waiting lists for the HPP boxes. If you don't already have a P.O. box at one of the local offices, there are waiting lists at most of those, too. The Hilo airport post office had available boxes the last time I heard. For details, do a search on this forum for post office boxes and general delivery mail. Lots of folks do general delivery and get along just fine while waiting for a box. The HPP homeowners' board has been dithering over just how to legally and safely install more boxes in the subdivision. Perhaps someone can update us on that.

Cheers,
Jerry

RE: Mailboxes in HPP - ef9 - 06-26-2007

Hi Jerry,

What exactly is "general delivery?"

Is that like regular Hilo residential mail delivery? I do not like PO Boxes, but understand that is what comes with buying in HPP. I seriously thought all homes built in HPP would have an "HPP box" on the main road.

Stan

RE: Mailboxes in HPP - JerryCarr - 06-26-2007

Hi Stan,
General delivery is when you pick up your mail at the post office counter. Your actual address is "General Delivery," and they keep your mail in bundles until you come for it. Use the search engine on this forum to see previous postings from people who actually get their mail this way.

Cheers,
Jerry

RE: Mailboxes in HPP - Carey - 06-26-2007

General Delivery is picked up at the Post Office, at the counter. Downtown Keaau has residential mail delivery, but not HPP.
Did anyone go to the HPP homeowners meeting on Sunday? There may have been some discussion on the mailboxes (based on the discussions at the Neighborhood Watch) When we were renting in HPP the wait for a box in HPP was 6mos - a year. More people have moved in.....
One of the main problems with those boxes is the vandalism they get... & is a reason that the Post Office would hesitate adding more...

RE: Mailboxes in HPP - olin137 - 06-27-2007

I'm sure this must have been a topic of many previous threads, but exactly why is the mail service so bad in Puna? I understand there are upwards of 10,000 people in Hawaiian Paradise Park alone. I can't imagine any area of that population and density not getting better mail service on the mainland.

Olin

RE: Mailboxes in HPP - Chunkster - 06-27-2007

Because this is Hawaii and people put up with it. Such a low level of service in a community the size of HPP on the mainland would probably result in TV news coverage and a scandal.

RE: Mailboxes in HPP - Carey - 06-27-2007

Also most of the Puna population lives in subdivisions with PRIVATE roads. Even on the mainland (Even in Chicago Suburbs) Private road subdivisions do not have always have residential mail pickup. Add to that the condition that most of the private roads in Puna have been for the last 5 decades....Without paving, the postal service vehicles would have a lot of added wear & tear.
When these subdivisions were created, the original companies that subdivided came in with a lot of hype (look at some of the ad materials on many of the subdivisions from the 50's, the printed material was slick....many of the big Puna subdivision ads were very convincing...) and without alot of follow through. 50 years later this area is finally getting enough population to actually afford some of the BASIC improvements. To the original subdivision buyers, they bought under misguided ads...But current buyers should already know the status of the area & that fact that it will take a LOT of money (private money for the private subdivisions) to update these areas....$12million just for all (maybe) of HPP roads to be paved, just voted this week & financed.

RE: Mailboxes in HPP - jade - 06-27-2007

Now that HPP is paving all of the roads I wonder what excuse the post office will come up with so they don't have to deliver mail to the door. Right now they say they will not deliver to unpaved roads.

RE: Mailboxes in HPP - ef9 - 06-27-2007

Wait, you mean HPP will now have all paved roads?????

Wow, that is extremely interesting!

quote:
....$12million just for all (maybe) of HPP roads to be paved, just voted this week & financed.