Punaweb Forum
Fishing - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Fishing (/showthread.php?tid=1196)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Fishing - jm minica - 07-01-2007

I just wanted to test the waters to see how much interest there would be in a fishing trip. I've been rootin' around the coastal areas of East Hawaii for months now looking for the best fish/camp spots, and I have found some pretty good ones that were right under my nose the whole time. So I am proposing an overnight fishing excursion. The spot I have in mind is down at the bottom of HPP at the end of Pilikai. The access road is pretty good, there is a great camp site, and it's one of the best fishing spots I have found on the East side. So, my question is how many people out there would be interested in an overnighter of this nature? I have even thought of forming a fishing club, if there was enough interest. Anyone up for some adventure?
Aloha,
Mark

RE: Fishing - morganlady - 07-01-2007

I'll be there in Aug, if you plan one in the first 2 weeks. Do you need a license or permit for these activities? Is this from shore or a pier, or going out in a boat of some kind? Eat all we catch? Can we sleep in a vehicle?

RE: Fishing - Scott_S - 07-01-2007

Mark, you can count me in when I get there. I have been going through my tackle weeding it down. I think I will just bring one good spinning rig and a couple of my long salmon rods for shore fishing.

The toughy is thinning out my antique lure collection, four tackle boxes full.

Well good luck, and keep us posted.

Scott

RE: Fishing - Kahunascott - 07-01-2007

Scott don't throw any thing a way, just store it in a different box.
Mark you know I'm for the trip just give me notice......

RE: Fishing - jm minica - 07-03-2007

I'll be there in Aug, if you plan one in the first 2 weeks. Do you need a license or permit for these activities? Is this from shore or a pier, or going out in a boat of some kind? Eat all we catch? Can we sleep in a vehicle?

morganlady, in response to your questions: No licence is required to fish here. The first trip I am proposing will be a shore fishing trip, but there will be future boat trips as well. Most of the fish that you catch here are edible, I generally only keep what I'm planning on eating either there or in the future. You can sleep in a vehicle if you like.
I will be doing a overnighter down there this weekend if anyone is interested. Phone #: 966-7071, email: jm_minica@yahoo.com.
Aloha,
Mark

RE: Fishing - morganlady - 07-26-2007

I found a couple of poles - is this outing set up yet?

RE: Fishing - Hotzcatz - 07-27-2007

I just picked up supplies to make some more lures yesterday, too! Is that good timing or what? Are there any amenities (porta-potty, fresh drinking or washing water, ocean access with the vehicles nearby, etc.) to the fishing spot?

Have you Puna folks heard about the Kayak Fishing Tournament being held by Sauces and Propane in Honokaa? You can fish anywhere on the island as long as it's from a kayak and they give out really good prizes. Last year first place was a kayak. There's a lot of different divisions and the entry fee is only forty dollars or so, I think it was. They also throw a good party for the event, too.

RE: Fishing - Lew P - 07-27-2007

Kayak fishing is fun. If you catch a marlin, just hope it does not jumpin the boat. There is a video of a marlin caught from a jet ski, what a show..

RE: Fishing - Hotzcatz - 07-28-2007

I've seen a DVD of folks kayak fishing off the Kona coast. When they catch onto almost any fish over twenty pounds it will pull them around for awhile sometimes for almost an hour depending on how big the fish is. I guess it is a Kona version of the "Nantucket sleigh ride" the old whalers used to get off the East Coast back when they were whale hunting. I'd hate to catch onto a shark while kayak fishing. It is a little spooky to be sitting on top of the water in a little kayak fishing for big fish which are presumably swimming around below.

Maybe Mark's shore fishing is a better idea!

RE: Fishing - jm minica - 07-28-2007

If anyone is interested, I'm going to be doing another overnighter fishing trip next weekend at Pilikai(bottom of HPP between Paradise and Kaloli). This is primitive camping with no facilities available. If you have a vehicle with good clearance you can drive all the way to the campsite. If not, it's only about a 5-10 minute walk from the end of Pilikai. It's a beutiful spot with great views of Mauna Kea, so even if your not into fishing, it's a great place to relax by the ocean, and take in the beauty.
Anybody else in?
Aloha,
Mark