Punaweb Forum
Hawaiian Acres Land opinion? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hawaiian Acres Land opinion? (/showthread.php?tid=12371)

Pages: 1 2

Hawaiian Acres Land opinion? - TJ and Chris - 08-15-2013

Hi guys,
First time posting but long time stalker. Thanks for all the great information over the years. I was hoping that I could get some of your opinions on a land purchase. We have lived on island, but kona side, but have visited Puna often. I know the old adage is to rent first, that is just not possible now but I feel we have a pretty good idea of the area. Anyway, we are strongly considering 2 properties and are already working with a realtor.

http://www.hawaiilife.com/mls/265926/
We really like the lush, wild, rainforest sort of look on this lot but are worried about the guava in the front of the lot and if it will over take everything.

http://www.hawaiilife.com/mls/261319/
Like the Ohia trees here, but like the really lush look of the other one more, in theory. Also not thrilled the neighbors around this one are clear cutting.

So, ignoring a price difference, what lot do you guys like more? Having lived there, what would you prefer? Do you guys like the more wild jungle of the first, or the tall ohias of the second. And if it's neither tell me why and what I should be waiting for.

We plan to clear a small area for the house and small yard, put in a green house and garden, and leave the rest forested, perhaps adding a few native koa and such. Happy as can be to have good neighbors over for dinner, but would like to not see any houses from the property.

http://www.hawaiilife.com/mls/264564/ this one is in third place, just in case you happen to not like the first two.

Thank you so much,
Mahalo,
TJ

P.S. If you aren't familiar with the site, you can scroll to the bottom of the page and it shows where in the acres the property is listed and you can switch from map to satellite view.

RE: Hawaiian Acres Land opinion? - lquade - 08-15-2013

we love the acres and especially the ohia which put on a real blooming show this year. i wouldnt worry about the guava in the front unless it is much larger than it shows in the pic. the stands take quite some time to spread, a dozer would make quick work, maybe cut your drive through them. or makes great privacy screen.
the property with the neighbors.. well... sometimes it is good to already see who your immediate established neighbors are. drive by at night. they are spending money fixing their place up, doesnt seem to be full of tents and junk cars. you can leave a privacy screen along your lines, county requires 20 feet on both sides anyway. i myself love the trees, hated to see each one go. but... after cleaning gutters would probably have taken a few more down close to the house...

RE: Hawaiian Acres Land opinion? - rainyjim - 08-15-2013

Have you ever personally been to Hawaiian acres before?

To any of the propeties you linked?

Are you familiar with the areas in HA that flood?

Do you know if those lots have any neighbors? Are the neighbors meth heads? Are they raising a million roosters for cock fights?

Are you familiar with the aread of HA that are paved? Do you want a paved road? Are you aware of the quality of the roads in HA? Do you own a 4x4 capable vehicle?

These are just some questions you should probably ask yourself, not necessarily answer on here...although that may help myself or other posters determine your needs/situation. If you can answer all these questions already then you're probably ready to live around that area, if not you'll be in for some BIG surprises.

---

Now as towards your inquiry, personally, I prefer the lot with all the tall ohias. If you don't know already you'll fall in love with the skinny ohias swaying in the wind! The Ohias are so pretty at night also especially by moonlight.

RE: Hawaiian Acres Land opinion? - kalakoa - 08-15-2013

Living in the Acres means your "broadband" (and "television") will probably be "wireless".

Of course, this cuts both ways...

RE: Hawaiian Acres Land opinion? - unknownjulie - 08-15-2013

I think I've driven almost every sq inch of roads in HA looking at properties in my minivan. Both of these appear fairly far off of "decent" roads. Look at the maps yourself, but I think both are out of the main "floodplain". I think these interior parcels are all fairly similar and I'd mostly go off of price, but I would actually seriously look for one that is already bulldozed the way that you want and with gravel down for a driveway. Also, find one with the SSPP paid. These things dont always get added onto the prices dollar for dollar. YOu might find a lot for slightly more money, but with way more value overall. I think I'd only pay in the low 20's for a partially bulldozed lot, but prices may have gone up, and I might be "behind the times". When I bulldozed part of my lot, I realized the benefits of having a nice flat large sunny area and a good driveway, but it took some planning an supervision from me.(I ended up buying in Orchidland)

RE: Hawaiian Acres Land opinion? - TJ and Chris - 08-15-2013

Hi again. While we have not been to either of the lots, we have been to the acres and know it well and are knowledgeable about what it means to live there (spotty if possible internet and cell phone coverage, catchment, meth heads, free loading hippies, not that I mind free spirited you understand, bad roads, occasional vog, humidity, 150 in of rain a year, mold, termites, coquis, feral pigs, slow police response time, flood zones, rooster farms, etc) thank you for your concern and i understand warning off impulsive mainlanders who think they have found an unrealistic paradise.

We are a young college educated couple, bringing a good income, and won't be coming for a while. Have been looking to buy for a couple years and now that prices are going up we thought we would grab a lot for the future. Because we aren't coming for a minimum of 5 years, having a cleared pad is not really helpful the way things grow in puna. Sspp paid would be good, of course, but I would rather get a lot I like and add it later. Cost is 1900 for sspp on both lots I am considering.

So I hope that helps you understand where we are coming from. Mostly we just want to know what you guys who are there every day think of the more wild areas with lots of different foilage vs the Ohia forest. Which would be the more desirable lot. The one you guys would rather live on.

Oh, and we aren't too worried about the roads. Planning on 4x4 Smile
Can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking your time to answer
TJ

Ok, understand better now. IF there are big Ohia's you may have more soil and more water (drainage) on the lot. My Orchildland lot has huge Ohia's but it is because it is in an area with a lot of drainage running through it. I did get a very excellent high building site, with a creative D9 job, but this is something to consider. I personally love my strawberry guava and just view it as 'bamboo' or some other invasive/screeny type plant that also fruits for me. I am however, slowly killing it off around my Ohia because I dont want those roots strangled- which is what will happen if you have too much guava. Also, there is a beetle from Brazil that most are a big fan of (me, not so much) that has been released as a biological control for guave- so the guava may not grow or spread as much in the future, and might even appear sickly- but that remains to be seen. Personally, I think this is a very good investment to buy now, and that's why I bought my lot also. Guava also will deaden sound for you, and it really carries remarkably well in the jungle.

Just thought I'd let you know how nice the sq lots are also. There are some of those in Orchidland. Might be more money, but the upper areas of Orchidland are a bit like HA, but with better roads. The spagetti lots are fine now with such a low density of people, but they may not provide the privacy you may be looking for, long term. Just my two cents!

RE: Hawaiian Acres Land opinion? - DanielP - 08-15-2013

Perhaps Lease/option? In HA location is crucial. A mile of bad road gets longer and rougher over time. Check Fern Acres?

RE: Hawaiian Acres Land opinion? - bananahead - 08-15-2013

both of the properties are in the middle area close to the center. they look like nice lots and the roads look great from the pic.... Both are fairly far from the 2 paved roads we have. (only est 7 of the 77 miles of roads are paved)
in Hawaiian Acres here we have 3 ways to get in, by the Ainaloa way that come into HA at about Rd 8 and F (coming uphill from Hwy 130 near Pahoa).... then you have the 2 ways in from the upper Puna side via Hwy 11 at Kurtistown/MtView by either Rd 1 via SoKulani in MtView and by Rd 8/9 just above Kurtistown.

Both of the lots are roughly close to each other.... Id rather go for the 4th at D road one if it was between C and D, but not if its between D and E... but they really are in similar areas overall and you would need to walk them to see which is better... they both look good as far as the plant cover, the waiwi is average at best and nothing bad that I can see (I have waiwi that are monsters at over 50' tall and at least 1' wide at base, but these are easy to cut compared to the broomstick type that will be thicker and far more trouble to get rid of). Make sure the prop doesnt have Albezia or many Gunpowder trees, they are larger and fall often.... IMO if the lots are similar in looks Id go for the one with the most larger fuller Ohia trees with nice side branches (not the skinny thin ones)...

both are NOT in the flood zone from the creek area (between B and C)

Also Id walk both properties and see what they have ie lava tubes sinkholes soil etc. and see if the road is OK (most lots you can drive in from either side ie the one between C and D you can come in from either side making it less than 1/2 mile of bad road usually... the only part of the large HA grid that is 100% not drivable is between B and C on rd 2 because of the river/creek that flows about 20 days a year here (I live next to it between B and C on rd 2 and the creek cuts straight across my property 150', but is beautiful when flowing)

aloha

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha