Punaweb Forum
When you first arrive.. where to live? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: When you first arrive.. where to live? (/showthread.php?tid=12427)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

When you first arrive.. where to live? - sputnut - 08-24-2013

When once we arrive there, we will most likely need to stay a few days in a vacation rental, but those get real expensive, real fast.. Where can one find a place to rent, contract free, month to month while they house hunt without spending all their money on it?
I am all for a 6 month lease while we search and learn the area, but my wife thinks we will find our dream home in a month or so and wouldn't like that idea. Thanks to this site and a lot of independent research, I have learned a LOT about the area and what to expect. I'm thinkin somewhere in the lower half of HPP at least 3 blocks from the ocean.(prefer between 7th and 13th because of rain needs, salt mist and internet) Less rain, outa the salt mist and hi speed internet available, not as crowded with an acre for space and not too far from Hilo for work. Doing good so far? ANY advice is priceless to me. Thank you all.

comin' your way soon!

RE: When you first arrive.. where to live? - David M - 08-24-2013

Would just remind you that less than 6 month rent is subject to TATax.

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com

RE: When you first arrive.. where to live? - sputnut - 08-24-2013

the recent surge in violence does worry me a bit, though. A lot of it in such a small area. Is it recent or common there?

comin' your way soon!

RE: When you first arrive.. where to live? - Lupie - 08-24-2013

Unless you already have a job lined up... Don't think that you'll find anything too quick. Make sure you have plenty of money to live on, because you most likely won't work for 6 months to a year after getting here.
I would rent for at least 6 months while you look to buy. You're going to realize you probably want a smaller house than you are used to on the mainland. "Things" become so much less important.

Good luck to you and yours.

RE: When you first arrive.. where to live? - sputnut - 08-24-2013

TA Tax?

comin' your way soon!

RE: When you first arrive.. where to live? - Carey - 08-24-2013

We moved here in the real estate heyday (2005), rented a place for 6 mos in HPP near the ocean (6 mos is not really that bad on the pocketbook & eases the "we gotta buy NOW! -really not that bad...by the time you find your dream place, make an offer & then get all of the paperwork is done, it could be up in the few months time...& then you can leisurely transition into your new home...) Added TA tax is transient (under ~ 6 mos..maybe it is 180 days) rentals...much higher tax than the normal 6mos+ rental & the majority of the violence is domestic type...

Our rental was by the ocean...something I would recommend ANYONE transitioning between Illinois & Hawaii...(we are former flatlanders)

The beauty of living so close, mixed with the reality of the maintenance of living so close were the reality check we needed... We also changed our definition of what we wanted in the months from before we moved until we bought....and learned even more after we bought... but that is many other threads!

Enjoy this transition, keep one or 2 fleece for the trips to the mountain...and ALOHA!

RE: When you first arrive.. where to live? - terracore - 08-24-2013

Take it from another transplant who thought that we had done enough due diligence to think we knew where we wanted to live... You don't know where you want to live yet. You are absolutely right to rent for several months and THEN look for a permanent place to live.

When we showed up, we had a vacation rental for TWO days. We had no idea where we were going to live after 48 hours. If that isn't bad enough, WE HAD SEVEN PARROTS WITH US. * Fortunately, somebody responded to my wife's crazy craigslist post "Looking for parrot friendly rental" and it was available immediately. It was a 1 bedroom cottage in a beautiful picturesque setting at a coffee farm in Hawaiian Acres.

* I don't recommend showing up like that, we did own a 3 acre parcel with a 40' shipping container and a bathroom over a cesspool and were prepared to camp there if necessary.

RE: When you first arrive.. where to live? - David M - 08-24-2013

quote:
Originally posted by sputnut

TA Tax?

comin' your way soon!

Yep, Transient Accommodation Tax 9.25% - google it for enlightenment.

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com

RE: When you first arrive.. where to live? - terracore - 08-24-2013

quote:
Originally posted by sputnut

TA Tax?

comin' your way soon!

The transient tax for vacation rentals. Just like at the hotels. In addition to the general excise tax. It's a killer. Though most rentals are more "unofficial" than that and what they list is what you pay.

p.s. when do you get here?

RE: When you first arrive.. where to live? - ericlp - 08-24-2013

I'm sure TA tax is the last thing on a persons mind when coming here. It's safe to say you can never research enough or prepare enough or probably have enough $$ when coming here.

Best thing just learn lot's and try to "enjoy" what the island has to offer. Don't forget to stop and swim in the oceans and do a few hikes along the way. When I first got here it was all about hurry up and do this and do that. Then when everything is "DONE" I can enjoy myself. Yeah right. Take LOTS of breaks and have fun because "EVERYTHING never gets done" Like is a work in progress. Smile