Punaweb Forum
Privacy & Internet - The Holy Grail - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Privacy & Internet - The Holy Grail (/showthread.php?tid=12793)

Pages: 1 2 3

Privacy & Internet - The Holy Grail - Guest - 12-05-2013

The Holy Grail based on my lifestyle would be to have a place on the Big Island that has enough land for me to grow fruits, veg, crops and have a tiny Chicken Coupe... Seems easy enough, as there is plenty of land that AG, around 3 acres I'd guess.

My issue is, I also need steady High Speed Internet service. Yikes !

Is this the Holy Grail I am looking for ? Is it impossible to find ?

RE: Privacy & Internet - The Holy Grail - kalakoa - 12-05-2013

1. Ignore Telcom DSL; it's not really "available" in the conventional sense -- any given "eligible" location will be on the waitlist for a port, but there's no waitlist either, just keep trying, maybe you'll get it one day.

2. Oceanic only builds out where there is subscriber density; this means less "privacy" where their service is available. Supposedly, Oceanic will refuse installation unless there is grid power available at the location. I have yet to see any Oceanic cable along an "unmaintained" road (they do serve "unpaved" areas where the road is graded).

3. Telcom is required to install a commercial high-speed connection anywhere in their service area; these are expensive and not very fast, but highly reliable (literally "five nines", and no "caps" of any kind). The edge equipment requires power, but Telcom does not care where it comes from or what permits you have.

4. Wireless service is unreliable at best; the particular style varies with the service (satellite means high lag, local wifi means outages, cellular means expensive in addition to the other problems).

RE: Privacy & Internet - The Holy Grail - Seeb - 12-05-2013

The two things are not usually in the same location. It might happen in a few spots but those lots would go for big bucks

RE: Privacy & Internet - The Holy Grail - Guest - 12-05-2013

Do you have any particular areas that may be a good compromise to suggest ? HPP ?

Maybe only having 2-3 acres ?

Many Mahalos !

RE: Privacy & Internet - The Holy Grail - HawaiiTedd - 12-05-2013

Fern Acres...2 acre lots...some streets have Oceanic cable internet.

---
by the way...I am also a Licensed Hawaii Real Estate Salesperson
http://www.RealEstateHawaiiBigIsland.com/

RE: Privacy & Internet - The Holy Grail - Guest - 12-05-2013

^^Thank you so much. That is a good start, any other info about the area ? Working class, artists, crime, etc ?

RE: Privacy & Internet - The Holy Grail - Lee M-S - 12-05-2013

yes to all of those. but that pretty much describes all of Puna.

quote:
Originally posted by Oneself

any other info about the area ? Working class, artists, crime, etc ?

><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>

RE: Privacy & Internet - The Holy Grail - kalakoa - 12-05-2013

I'll go ahead and describe the infrastructure; cruise the street and look at the poles to see which are available at any given location.

Telcom splice boxes are black, rectangular, and often include orange/black numbers.

Oceanic repeater boxes are gray (weathered aluminum) with heatsink fins.

Note that Telcom-only poles (these do exist) are shorter than HELCO; if you're in a non-HELCO area with poles, there won't be any Oceanic, and you're probably too far for DSL anyway (not that it's really "available").

RE: Privacy & Internet - The Holy Grail - lquade - 12-05-2013

hawaiian acres (3acres) have oceanic on eight and one road and a few side roads also. again, according to density.

RE: Privacy & Internet - The Holy Grail - Aaron S - 12-05-2013

Hawaiian Telcom's remote terminal DSLAM's have certain amount of ports available. You either have to wait until someone cancels their DSL service or hope Hawaiian Telcom installs more ports on the DSLAM. You need to call up Hawaiian Telcom in both of these instances and ask to be place on a wait list or notified when DSL service is available.

There was an instance I read in another forum where a person lives here part year in Kona and cancels/resubscribes DSL eveytime she comes/goes. She tried to resubscribe her DSL service, but Hawaiian Telcom told her it was unavailable. I can only surmise that all the ports on her servicing DSLAM are full.