Punaweb Forum
What do you do with a drunken sailor? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: What do you do with a drunken sailor? (/showthread.php?tid=1289)

Pages: 1 2

What do you do with a drunken sailor? - Kelena - 08-11-2007

Actually, I don't need any ideas on that. What I really would like to know though is how you ship things to yourself over there if have an address (more on that later!) but cannot receive mail there? Does 1-Stop let you send things TO them? Let's see, can't send Fedex Ground for obvious reasons. Any ideas? And if you have any ideas on what to do with a drunken sailor, that would be fine, too.

RE: What do you do with a drunken sailor? - Rob Tucker - 08-11-2007

FedEx and UPS are not mail. They deliver to road locations where USPS does not. I suggest that FedEx and UPS packages be labeled to include the phone number so the driver can get directions.

I do not get mail delivery at my house in Pahoa Village for some unknown reason. I have to have a P.O. Box which USPS is required to provide to me for free (since they do not deliver on my private road). I can get USPS packages delivered to my P.O. box which simply means waiting in line to claim the package.

If you are truly saying to want to send things to yourself and you won;t be there to receive then I suggest you make an arrangement with someone like One Stop Mail Shop to receive and hold the packages.

RE: What do you do with a drunken sailor? - rbonplaza - 08-11-2007

I'm sure you'll get better ideas for the mail issue than I can offer, although I would offer my PO Box in Keaau as a destination if nothing else comes up. Just can't promise when we'll be back in Puna at this date.
I'm also sure you do know what to do with a D/S, but here are a few of the verses that have been suggested:
Put him into bed with the captain's daughter, (*) (3×Wink
Early in the morning.
You've never seen the captain's daughter, (3×Wink
Early in the morning.
Slap him around and call him Suzie, (3×Wink
Early in the morning.
Shave his belly (?) with a rusty razor, (3×Wink
Early in the morning.

Oh.... and happy Saturday!

Edited by - rbonplaza on 08/11/2007 10:05:08

RE: What do you do with a drunken sailor? - Kelena - 08-11-2007

Oh, so RBonplaza, are you suggesting the Captain's daughter may not be much of a beauty?

I HAVE heard the "slap him around and call him Suzie" suggestion. Really, that's probably best.

As for the UPS, Rob, you seem to be saying that UPS will deliver to an address where USPS will not. That would be cool. Guess I can check with them! Thanks to both of you.

Gotta go slap someone.

RE: What do you do with a drunken sailor? - Hotzcatz - 08-11-2007

I've always heard "shave his belly with a rusty razor" but never knew his alternate name was Suzie!

Oh, yeah, and you could always send the packages to yourself "general delivery" at the local post office. You'd have to go up to the counter to ask for your mail, though.

Edited by - hotzcatz on 08/11/2007 13:38:32

Wait a minute. I can go up to a counter and ask for mail. Quit it! I might even be willing to let Sallie, well, you know, get the rusty razor....wait, no way in hell. I like hair. No hair? No way. Yeck. More hair the better. Walk up to the counter? That totally works.

How long you imagine it would take a package to go USPS to Kea'au? I need it to take about two weeks, no more.

Am I Punatic enough now?

RE: What do you do with a drunken sailor? - rbonplaza - 08-11-2007

I agree. I'd never shave a belly either.

RE: What do you do with a drunken sailor? - Robin C - 08-11-2007

If you send packages USPS parcel post it will usually take 3 to 6 weeks. USPS Priority Mail will take about 5 days.
UPS and FedEx take as little as two days (you have to request "next day" to get the two days).

When we moved we used both USPS and UPS depending on how quickly we wanted stuff to arrive. General Delivery worked remarkably well.

Robin

RE: What do you do with a drunken sailor? - Les C - 08-11-2007

And a cautionary note, the longer your package is in the system (read, "the longer it takes to get to the destination"Wink, the better the packaging should be. I.e., I would highly recommend double-walled corrugated boxes, or boxes with >270 lb. bursting weight rating, with good packing material and methods. My belief is that the longer a package is handled, left sitting, or put at the bottom of a stack, the higher the chances of damage. We've had perfect results when we've packed well, and some box (and contents) damage when we've not. Use good tape, too (good cellophane tape is perfect, you don't need strapping or duct tape, unless your Prairie Home Companion training has you stocked up), "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link"...

If your contents are not likely to be damaged by rough handling or a breach of the box wall integrity, then you might be okay risking a single-wall box and loose packing.

Edited by - Les C on 08/11/2007 18:07:25

Mahalo, Les. I fear for my package now and can imagine it being manhandled on the dock, behind the warehouse,and then finally on some dirty mattress in a tin shack. Better double, triple, quadruple wrap.

What I want to send is this beautiful little cherry wood phonograph. Would not want it to arrive damaged. I couldn't believe how much UPS wanted to send a package....it's as if they think you are in the middle of the ocean or something...oh, gawd, oh gawd.....YOU ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE OCEAN YIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKES! And how about a house 480 feet from the ocean! That CAN'T be good! More lilikoi margaritas, please! Fan me, Beauregard!