Punaweb Forum
Waipio Valley - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Waipio Valley (/showthread.php?tid=12899)

Pages: 1 2

Waipio Valley - AKpilot - 12-29-2013

Hello all,

So does anyone know anyone who lives/ed in Waipio Valley? I have considered purchasing a place there. Thoughts?

AKpilot

We're all here, because we're not all there!

RE: Waipio Valley - Kelena - 12-29-2013

We aren't friends or anything, but the very friendly guides at Na'alapa Stables have a strong Waipi'o Valley connection. It's a husband and wife team. I can't recall his name, but I think hers might be Mahina. Reachable through the contact information on their website I'm sure. He is very funny and charming and she is sweet and lovely. Her grandmother lives there and she spent her youth down there but moved atop for her children.

It's Edenic down there (if Eden had mosquitoes and nippy wild horses and people with clothes on), but too remote and sparsely populated for me. When I was last at the overlook I got to talking from a guy from Ohio who was staying in Kohala. He couldn't figure out why they didn't run utilities down there and build some condos, to achieve the highest and best use of the land.

RE: Waipio Valley - Cagary - 12-29-2013

FLOODING.

The further one goes back into the valley the worse it gets.

The "road" meanders towards the back of the valley and constantly crosses the stream. The sun could be shinning in the valley, but up behind it in the mountains rain could be pouring down like crazy. This causes the stream to rise without warning trapping you from either getting home or getting out of the valley. This flooding can last for hours (or days) and can even threaten your home.

If you find a place near the front of the valley, there's always the possibility of a tsunami. The one in 1946 cleared almost everyone out of the valley although no one was killed. It reached about a mile into the valley. In 1979 the stream flooded its banks and the water pretty much covered the bottom of the valley wall to wall. Property damage was huge.

One more thing, the further you go back into the valley, the better your chance of running into people that live there who consider themselves to be "locals". At best, they want nothing to do with you and would like nothing better than for you to leave. Generally not a friendly lot.

-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".

RE: Waipio Valley - bananahead - 12-29-2013

great place to visit but I sure wouldnt want to live there unless in an Ironwood tree well away from the shore...

the valley will bottleneck every big tsunami we get (ie 1946, 1960) and exaggerate the height/speed of the 'wave', thus sweep the valley clean except for the Ironwoods... same w/ the valleys above it too.

the road down and up is the steepest in the World too, and you will have limited sun because of the 1,000'++ cliffs on both sides...

plus no police! so people settle their own squabbles within, sometimes burning ea. others place down

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha

RE: Waipio Valley - SBH - 12-29-2013

quote:
Originally posted by Kelena

?.. the very friendly guides at Na'alapa Stables have a strong Waipi'o Valley connection. It's a husband and wife team. I can't recall his name, but I think hers might be Mahina. Reachable through the contact information on their website I'm sure. He is very funny and charming and she is sweet and lovely.

You're talking about Keoni, he's great, very funny, lots of aloha.

RE: Waipio Valley - Kelena - 12-29-2013

Yes, Keoni! He IS great and he did something hilarious the last time I was around him. We were in an old beat up doorless van going up the road while a fancy tourist Jeep Wrangler was coming down. We passed within centimeters of it and as we were about to clear he smacked the side of the van very loudly in such a way that it sounded like we had hit the Wrangler. We hadn't, but the look on their faces was priceless.

RE: Waipio Valley - opihikao - 12-29-2013

Waipi'o is sacred ground, full of historic events. Today, Waipi'o is a place evolved from the combining of two cultures; Hawaiian and Western.

There are those few who still live a vivacious life in Waipi'o, harvest taro for poi weekly, (we thankfully still have ohana who work the land), and find refuge in this sacred area.

It has also turned into somewhat of a tourist spot. The improvements of late have been a long time coming. As long as all who venture to Waipi'o remember the meaning of "sacred land". It is truly one of our special places on earth.

Those who purchase land there should expect some "visits" from kupuna, aumakua, and the endless visits of warriors who frequented Waipi'o. The "tall warrior" may tell you where to plant, where to live, and provide protection. There are others who frequent the area, as folklore will tell.

Sacred ground indeed. When land is purchased in this area, you are the "caretaker", and must understand what comes with being an "owner" in Waipi'o.

Please do some research, both in the Western terms (ie. leases nearby, adjacent parcels, insurance, neighbors, etc.), and our Hawaiian culture, prior to any purchase. Waipi'o can be quite a challenge, unless the understanding of the area is accepted as part of the purchase. Quite similar to Kalapana.

Here is a brief description of the history for your perusal:

http://gohawaii.about.com/cs/bigislandland/a/waipio_valley.htm

JMO. (With all due respect)

RE: Waipio Valley - Rob Tucker - 12-29-2013

I have hiked up the far side of Waipio looking for ancient trees. Found them too. The largest I saw was about 14 feet in diameter. Impressive. Too remote for logging. It was impressive too to hike the ancient tails which were four feet deep in places from a thousand years of footwork. Quite an experience. I tread lightly in the valley and trails.

RE: Waipio Valley - ericlp - 12-29-2013

Is there map for the trails ?

RE: Waipio Valley - AKpilot - 12-29-2013

hello all,

I have been studying the Huna faith; and understand the importance of Waipio Valley. Mostly I am a very VERY solitary person; I keep close, those who are good, honest, and true. I grew up on a farm; I understand what it entails. The one thing I wonder if is Waipio will ever become like Hilo or Kona. I can't imagine it doing so. What do you think???

AKpilot

We're all here, because we're not all there!