Punaweb Forum
How real is the rascism ? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: How real is the rascism ? (/showthread.php?tid=12950)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

How real is the rascism ? - Guest - 01-07-2014

Is it real ?

Is it just from people who don't fit in. so they use imaginary racism as an excuse ?

Is it really bully the OW-LEE in the work place, or don't give him a job?

What is with all the non-sense I hear ?

[?][?][?]

RE: How real is the rascism ? - Rob Tucker - 01-07-2014

It's as real as you let it be. I have had little experience with it here though there have been a couple occasions over twenty years.

RE: How real is the rascism ? - Aaron - 01-07-2014

Few and far between, but it definitely happens... Depends a lot on who/what/where.

Living on the side of creation.

RE: How real is the rascism ? - bananahead - 01-07-2014

THIS .... "Is it just from people who don't fit in."

Im 100% Haole but have all Hawaiian tattoos and dont look like a tourist at all....
I Have NEVER had a racist comment towards me in 47 years of living here or visiting here, even as a blond haired kid in the 60s-70s on windward Oahu (all my fights have been w/ tourist, asians, and other haoles)... its all about respecting the locals.. dont look away when walking past them, give them a nod and eye contact and say howzit... And dont act like you own the damn place!!! They locals sometimes feel invisible when the damn tourists look the other way when passing them (OMG dont give the local stinkeye lol ) but thats the prob, they just want to be acknowledged
aloha

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha

RE: How real is the rascism ? - Guest - 01-07-2014

Is it any different than being a minority in any society ?

RE: How real is the rascism ? - dayna - 01-07-2014

I have not had a hard time fitting in at all and have not dealt with racism here. However in New Orleans, I dealt with racism daily. In Alaska, almost never there either.

I do smile more here than I did in Alaska. I also make more eye contact, hug more, kiss more, touch more, and stop and talk with complete strangers more. I also ohh and ahhh over babies more. LOL

I find that NICE people fit in just fine.

Dayna

http://www.FarmingAloha.com
www.E-Z-Caps.com

RE: How real is the rascism ? - csgray - 01-07-2014

I think it is hard to piece out what is racism, and what is the natural unwillingness to embrace new residents that happens in all communities where part of the population has generations deep roots (especially rural communities), and where there is a constant influx of new people, many of whom leave within a year or two. When kids who move here from the mainland, and their parents, are given the cold shoulder when they try to join soccer teams or cheer leading squads, is it because they are "haoles" or is it because the other families all grew up together and already have all the friends they want or need? I grew up in a small rural town where there was virtually no racial, ethnic, or religious diversity, but newcomers were considered outsiders until they had been there at least 25 years. Hawaii seems to be similar in terms of how hard it can be to get to know people and be accepted by the "locals" when you move here. The fact that most newcomers are white, and most long term residents aren't, makes it easy to see this as racism, if that is your frame of reference.

Carol

RE: How real is the rascism ? - bananahead - 01-07-2014

very good points Carol Smile

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha

RE: How real is the rascism ? - Guest - 01-07-2014

Its my only concern.

I dont see myself having a hard time making friends, Ive moved many places many times and socialize like a butterfly.

I just worry about my wife, who is more sheltered and naive and sweet. She wouldnt know how to react if she was being nice to someone and they shafted her for no reason other than her skin. (she is 1/4 japanese, so i am hoping that helps a little)

RE: How real is the rascism ? - Seeb - 01-07-2014

There is systemic nepotism in hiring. And there are some people that are angry at the world and just looking for someone to take it out on,but that's same as anywhere.