Punaweb Forum
headed your way soon - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: headed your way soon (/showthread.php?tid=13135)

Pages: 1 2 3

headed your way soon - ri3ck - 02-12-2014

hello all. in a few months I will be relocating to your area. I love the big island.. I am planning to try to find a place to rent for awhile, until I can learn the ropes of living on the island, and find my own place. I am a retired military type, turned artist, beekeeper, gardener. I am seeking space, privacy and quiet. anyway, any suggestions on good rental companies or sources for decent rental property? yeah yeah, I know about CL.
also, I won't be arriving alone,.. I will have critters, and I have been hearing that it is hard to rent places that allow pets.
having wandered all over your island, I seem to like Puna area the best, but I have not lived there.........yet.
best.

RE: headed your way soon - PaulW - 02-12-2014

Welcome! Lots of people planning on moving here lately, always good to see.
If one of your critters is a dog you will have to go through the whole quarantine hassle, unfortunately.

RE: headed your way soon - Guest - 02-12-2014

Currently in process of putting my dog through the stringent quarantine that Hawaii has. I suggest printing all 5 pages of steps out from Hawaii website and bringing it to your vet.

RE: headed your way soon - HPPGuy - 02-12-2014

I agree that you might have a hard time finding a place that will take pets. Any rented by Jordan or Clark Property Management company is pretty much not going to accept pets. You might find a sympathetic landlord though, esp if your pets are small. What kind of pets do you have. I live out in HPP right now, I will keep my ears open for you.

RE: headed your way soon - VancouverIslander - 02-12-2014

Welcome to Punaweb. I've sent you an email as we may have a place that might suit you (hope I'm not being too opportunistic here, but we're possibly looking for a tenant and...)

RE: headed your way soon - microage97 - 02-12-2014

Very difficult and expensive to rent with pets. Expect to pt double down on the sec deposit if you can talk some one to rent to you.

Dave

RE: headed your way soon - ri3ck - 02-15-2014

thank you for the replies. yes, I am very aware of the pet requirement for Hawaii. cat and dog have already had their Favn tests. extra security or pet deposit is expected.
I will continue to lurk around here and learn things. so, you guys need another bee keeper ..?
best.

RE: headed your way soon - Hawaii Bound - 02-16-2014

I haven't read up on the "Landlord-Tenant Code" in awhile but I know it use to be illegal to charge for a pet deposit in Hawaii or to charge a deposit that is more than one month's rent.

There was a bill introduced in early 2013 to allow landlords to charge a security deposit but I never followed up so I am not sure if it became official or not but I am guessing not as I haven't heard anything further about it.

I would suggest to do a little research the code and see if anything has changed.

RE: headed your way soon - VancouverIslander - 02-16-2014

Apparently my email to you bounced (I used the link in your profile so Punaweb sends you an email with my gmail addy as the sender). Contact me if interested in hearing more.

RE: headed your way soon - OpenD - 02-17-2014

quote:
Originally posted by Hawaii Bound

I haven't read up on the "Landlord-Tenant Code" in awhile but I know it use to be illegal to charge for a pet deposit in Hawaii or to charge a deposit that is more than one month's rent.

There was a bill introduced in early 2013 to allow landlords to charge a security deposit but I never followed up so I am not sure if it became official or not but I am guessing not as I haven't heard anything further about it.

I would suggest to do a little research the code and see if anything has changed.

Yes, the law was changed, as of November 1, 2013. Now the landlord can collect up to a months rent as an additional security deposit for allowing a pet. The intention was to free up more rentals to pet owners, but so far I don't see much change.