Punaweb Forum
why visit before moving? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: why visit before moving? (/showthread.php?tid=13252)

Pages: 1 2

why visit before moving? - ri3ck - 03-02-2014

I do not live on Hawaii, yet.. but have spent time on the big island before realizing that this is place I would like to be. Hawaii has some 'cultural' differences that can cause problems or bad feelings, if one does not know about them (and boy have I made some big ones). so taking vacations or visiting, lets one make the mistakes before living around all the folks you have ticked off..........

the world according to ri3ck

RE: why visit before moving? - Carey - 03-02-2014

Although I would advise visiting first, we did not...never had been to the state

BUT we came here so that I could study Marine & Environmental science (my dream studies way back when, but those were not 'practical' studies then) - the midwest has very limited offerings on both of those (in fact very few places do, and some that do have much cooler water..) and the tuition was good... and the housing was affordable... and it was only for a couple of years, unless we liked it... almost 9 years later, we are still here... and I am still in school (slow learner!)

RE: why visit before moving? - punafish - 03-02-2014

We visited 5 times before moving, the last visit for a month. Then my wife, son and I voted yay or nay to stay, we were only moving if it was unanimous. It was and here we are 8 years later. No regrets, as we all quickly adapted. Strange as it sounds, I think coming from the Midwest helped (Chicago area), along with a decade of experience in Japan...it was a very natural transition...for whatever reason.

If I could do it over I'd probably rent for at least half a year before buying, and maybe not buy at all (only because it would be cool to have the flexibility to move around to different parts of the island).

Best of luck to you in making the move!

RE: why visit before moving? - Kelena - 03-03-2014

I have a pretty highly developed sense of adventure. I moved to New Orleans once, having never been there. And I moved in August. None but the brave. But I was young and foolish and in love. Glad I did it. It changed my life in a positive way. Or maybe I changed my life in a positive way. Yes, come to think of it -- it was me.

That said, it is good to get to know a place before you just up and move there. I wouldn't look on vacations as an opportunity to "make mistakes" here so you can get them out of your system before you move. Instead, I might just take up boxing on the mainland and punch as many bags or people as you need to to get it all out of your system. If you decide to punch people, provoke them first so you will have a better defense if charged (let them strike the first blow, then aim for the solar plexus and add an upper cut to the jaw). Then practice restrained good cheer and come on over and just be yourself. YOU are the culture, too. The very essence of this island is people coming from all over the place. And then leaving. There's even a song about it. It's called "Aloha Oe". The Queen didn't write that song about someone who was staying. She wrote it about someone who was leaving. She's gone now, too. Only the song remains. The people that fall in love with it and then drift in and out are part of what makes this place different.

Not ticking people off is important on an island, but you don't have to declare and surrender all human emotion when you come here. And if you find you are ticking people off, take up MMA -- the island is a hotbed of people slugging each other and grappling with each other in a few-holds-barred kind of way.

They just don't talk about it much.

RE: why visit before moving? - HPPGuy - 03-03-2014

I definitely agree with Punafish, I would rent for a few months before buying. That way you can find out what area you truly want to live in. I also recommend going through a property management company as opposed renting from craigslist. My personal experience with that was pretty bad.

RE: why visit before moving? - Amrita - 03-03-2014

It is written by a gay man; ignore that if it bothers you, but read:
http://www.amazon.com/HomoSteading-19th-Parallel-adventures-nightmare/dp/0595454739
It gives a whole lot of insight into what it's like to move here (to lower puna/seaview) from America unaware of the fact that Puna pioneer territory to this day. The description on Amazon will give you a clue.

RE: why visit before moving? - punafish - 03-03-2014

Thanks Amrita, great reviews too. Looks like an entertaining and informative read so just downloaded on my kindle.

RE: why visit before moving? - csgray - 03-03-2014

Vacationing in Hawaii is just not the same as living and working here on a permanent basis. When you are on vacation everything is great, you're on vacation! But things that seem like at worst minor inconveniences when you are on vacation can become real issues when you live here 24/7/365 days a year.

It is important to understand what actually living here is like, or be willing to risk the potential losses involved in moving here and then moving back within a year or two. Vacationing here will not give you that understanding.

Carol

RE: why visit before moving? - VancouverIslander - 03-03-2014

quote:
Originally posted by HPPGuy

I definitely agree with Punafish, I would rent for a few months before buying. That way you can find out what area you truly want to live in. I also recommend going through a property management company as opposed renting from craigslist. My personal experience with that was pretty bad.

Might I ask what went wrong with your rental experience? I'm considering renting out a house and am interested in hearing what can go wrong from a renters perspective.

RE: why visit before moving? - eigoya - 03-03-2014

I have been a landlord for over ten years, and rented in Puna my first year here. It was an incredible experience. It was fine until the owner visited from mainland. Wanted to park and live in driveway, wanted to use wireless, wanted to work on car house everyday... When I suggested he drop rent, his answer: 50% off! I am one and you are 5!! I reminded him that he was owner and I didn't particularly want him there. I can't imagine a parallel. Imposing myself is beyond anything I could ever imagine!! Everyone I asked seemed unphased ( until he came in unannounced and the police were called) " it's a HI thing".... Thinking about it now even stresses me!