Punaweb Forum
Where you from? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Where you from? (/showthread.php?tid=1330)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Where you from? - Adam79 - 08-24-2007

Since I haven't been on this forum for a real long time, I was kind of curious where people are from. I definitely gather that most of the native mainlanders came from somewhere on the west coast. What I have been very surprised by is how many people here are from the Pacific Northwest (yours truly included) - given the relative population of the NW to the rest of the US. One theory I have is that in a strange way, it reminds many of us of Oregon or Washington somehow. The rural small-town feel, plenty of rain, very green surroundings, mountains, extremely down-to-earth people. Really the only things that different there are cold winters and an overwhelming caucasian percentage of population. Does anybody else share this observation?

RE: Where you from? - Carey - 08-24-2007

Adam, I am also finding quite a few midwesterners.
Some of the things here are very much like the midwest (OK, now I know some of you will not believe THAT statement)
BUT this area is very rural & small towny & agriculturally based (re MIDWEST).
The politics...much like "sweet home Chicago" stuff....though much more smaller scale.
The weather here is mildly unpredictable (something the midwest has a lot of, unpredicatable weather, but lacks the mildly)
The cool fresh water at the beach (OK, the surf, the fish & the views here beat out the Great Lakes....)

RE: Where you from? - lotus - 08-24-2007

I was born and raised in Northern California, but have been living in New Haven, CT for the past 6 years. I have loved Hawaii since I first visited at 14. We're moving here now because no where else has ever felt as much like home. I never realized just how much I need to be near the Pacific until I moved so far away from it.

RE: Where you from? - macuu222 - 08-25-2007

I retired here from Fairbanks, Alaska. But I'm originally from Paramus, New Jersey.

RE: Where you from? - Bill - 08-25-2007

We moved here from Anchorage, Alaska where we spent the last 23 years. Sure do like the Winters here!

Bill

"Be kind whenever possible; it is always possible"
-Dalai Lama-

Edited by - Bill on 08/25/2007 07:35:54

RE: Where you from? - Kapohocat - 08-25-2007

Burbank, California (twenty five years ago) via Maui, then big Island (8 years), then Oahu, then Big Island for the last 11 years.

RE: Where you from? - Carolann R - 08-25-2007

We are from Arizona...Tony is a native of AZ - Safford, a small mining town there.

I was born in North Carolina, then raised in Buffalo, NY (father in Coast Guard)...moved to San Lorezno when I was 18, then back to Buffalo. Moved to Los Angeles in my 20's for about ten years...then after the Northridge earthquake smashed my stuff I was convinced by some friends to move to Arizona where I met Tony.

We are coming up on the one year anniversary of our move here to the Big Island.

Carrie

"All I can say about life is, Oh God, enjoy it." Bob Newhart

Edited by - carolann r on 09/06/2007 07:32:20

RE: Where you from? - Greg - 08-25-2007

San Luis Obispo, Milwaukee, Denver, Socal, Milwaukee, Charlotte, VietNam, DC, Charlotte, San Pedro, Catalina, PUNA (at last-1987) Couldn't live anywhere else!

RE: Where you from? - rbonplaza - 08-25-2007

Born in Cheyenne, raised in Menlo Park CA. Lived in Missouri, Spain, Mendocino, Palo Alto. Ed is a valley boy.... San Fernando and Sunland. I first visited Oahu in 1973 and have been returning almost yearly to the islands since then. Brought Ed in 1988 and we both decided to move here in 2003. Purchased our property in '05 and hope to be in Puna full time by mid '09.

RE: Where you from? - Kahunascott - 08-25-2007

NYC Metro area and central NJ