Punaweb Forum
High Speed Rail Between Hilo and Kona - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: High Speed Rail Between Hilo and Kona (/showthread.php?tid=1339)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

High Speed Rail Between Hilo and Kona - wjbillock - 08-27-2007

Congressman Neil Abercrombie spoke at a Hawaii Island Chamber of Commerce luncheon today.
He discussed many different subjects like DU, the war in Iraq and Alternative Energy.

The last "food for thought" item that he brought up was a High Speed Rail system to go between Hilo and Kona.

I'd like to know your thoughts...

"What? Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Nueman

RE: High Speed Rail Between Hilo and Kona - leilaniguy - 08-27-2007

Why would we need that? The money expended in building such a project would be better spent providing jobs in Hilo and affordable housing in Kona. Myself, I haven't been to Kona in about 3 years and see no reason to go there.

RE: High Speed Rail Between Hilo and Kona - wjbillock - 08-27-2007

quote:
Why would we need that? The money expended in building such a project would be better spent providing jobs in Hilo and affordable housing in Kona. Myself, I haven't been to Kona in about 3 years and see no reason to go there.

Leilaniguy...I've met people in Kona, like you, who say the same thing. "Why would I want to go to Hilo?" And to tell you the truth I'm glad they stay where they are.

My work takes me to Kona and I'd appreciate an alternative means of travel.

Now, for the people who travel to Kona for work...or fun...because there are fun things to do there too!

What are your thoughts?

"What? Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Nueman

RE: High Speed Rail Between Hilo and Kona - JerryCarr - 08-27-2007

This idea has been around since the 80's, believe it or not. While it might sound exciting and attractive, the Big Island does not have the population density (thank goodness)to make rail transit economically feasible. Better bus service over an improved and extended Saddle Road should be more practical. Leilaniguy's suggestion has a lot of merit, too, i.e. spend the money redressing imbalances between the two sides of the island.

Cheers,
Jerry

RE: High Speed Rail Between Hilo and Kona - pslamont - 08-27-2007

I dunno... they said "it will never be financially feasable" to the trolley system in San Diego and it paid for itself years and years ahead of schedule. I would think a rail/trolley system around the island would be a total winner. There are lots of folks that would use it instead of driving to town. It would allow students to travel the island without buying cars. I like the idea.

Trolley systems work because cars can be added or subtracted over time with use.... and you still only needone operator and have one power source. It is very efficient. Can you imagine a trolley system that passed bhy every hour on the same "minute" schedule... one in each direction? It would only take a few to cover the who9le island around the cricumference. Think of the traffic eliminated from HPP into Hilo. Stops would naturally develop at the hospital, the university, the shopping plaza....it could work. At a dollar a ride, the savings in not paying for a car, gas and insurance is unimaginable!

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!

RE: High Speed Rail Between Hilo and Kona - Genxor - 08-27-2007

We only travel to Kona for pleasure, and to be honest, the first drive there was fun and exciting, but since it, has become more of a chore. So dependent on pricing, it would be something we would attempt.

I sympathize with the commuters that do drive, or take the bus, everyday. There are those Jerry that would not take the bus, unless under very dire circumstances though.

Something really needs to be done here on the Eastside with jobs and economic development though.

Greg Henderson

RE: High Speed Rail Between Hilo and Kona - Greg - 08-27-2007

People will need to get around once they reach the other side. I think a beefed up bus system around the island with shuttle vans (or sampans) in the population centers would work.

RE: High Speed Rail Between Hilo and Kona - David M - 08-27-2007

Hi speed rail to Kona - doubtful

I do like the round the island trolley idea, but can you imagine the EIS nightmare??? I enjoy finding historic accounts/pictures of the old Hiloside rail system that ran prior to 1946 tsunami.

David

Ninole Resident

RE: High Speed Rail Between Hilo and Kona - Carey - 08-27-2007

This island did have a rail system (remnants are still visible in areas like Kolekole & the road named "Railroad" was part of the route. It was mainly a freight transit, and it was no longer viable after tsunami & earthquake damamges over the years.
High speed rail systems need to have rails that are much more aligned than the old clickety clack trains. These trains will need a lot of maintainance after the high initial costs....all paid for by taxpayers... (past rail systems were paid for by big Sugar...but that was not a public system either)

RE: High Speed Rail Between Hilo and Kona - JerryCarr - 08-27-2007

Light rail, or trolley, construction costs start at $15 million per mile. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_rail
High speed rail (as mentioned by Congressman Abercrombie) is much, much more expensive. I wish we could afford it, but I don't see how, even with Federal help. Honolulu is still arguing over the best way to deal with their transit needs, despite having approved a tax for heavy rail.

Too bad they pulled up all the old tracks David mentioned. The least expensive way to do rail transit is to use existing railway lines.

Cheers,
Jerry