Punaweb Forum
Disposal of old propane cannisters? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Disposal of old propane cannisters? (/showthread.php?tid=13416)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Disposal of old propane cannisters? - Kelena - 03-29-2014

Another BBQ has bit the dust. They just don't last here, do they? Anyway, I have two propane cannisters that PROBABLY have a little propane in them and I don't want them hanging around and I need to know what to do with them.

I am not thinking in terms of creative art projects, or repurposing them into torpedoes to repel shoreline attacks by very large man-eating fish or the Russian Navy. I am thinking of just getting rid of them. But where would they go I wonder? They are rusty, but not rusted through because then, I guess, they would hiss and then explode. Not doing that yet.

RE: Disposal of old propane cannisters? - csgray - 03-29-2014

The recycle place at the Kea'au or Pahoa transfer stations would probably take them if they are still functional.

Carol

RE: Disposal of old propane cannisters? - Aaron - 03-29-2014

Drop em' off at my house. Are they just regular 10 gallon or bigger?

Living on the side of creation.

RE: Disposal of old propane cannisters? - ericlp - 03-29-2014

if they are the 4 gallon ones (regular bbq) type you could sell them for about 10 bucks on craigslist. Or give them away. As long as they aren't too rusty. I saw a sign at Pahoa bat/propane said they wouldn't fill tanks older than 5 years old. Don't know how they determine that. Probably a just a way out to not fill tanks that are rusty.

RE: Disposal of old propane cannisters? - Kelena - 03-29-2014

I think they are still functional. There is surface rust, but that's it. They are the size that will fit under a BBQ, Aaron, whatever size that is (maybe 4 gallon as per ericlp above). They definetely do have a little propane left in them. Happy to drop them off -- email me if interested. Otherwise, I will try the recycle place. Mahalo everyone.

RE: Disposal of old propane cannisters? - snorkle - 03-29-2014

I just dropped a big rusty tank off at Pahoa Propane. They will properly dispose of it for free.

The transfer station will take old tanks in their recycle bin, but the top valve has to be removed so the tank can't be pressurized.

RE: Disposal of old propane cannisters? - Lee M-S - 03-29-2014

We took a rusty old one in to Home Depot, pointed out how rusty it was, and they still swapped it out for a new one. Maybe we just got lucky...

><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>

RE: Disposal of old propane cannisters? - lquade - 03-29-2014

they tell by the valve on top. the ok ones have a triangular shape handle, the old ones were round. but the 100 lb ones it doesnt matter..

RE: Disposal of old propane cannisters? - Kelena - 03-29-2014

Where is this Pahoa propane of which you speak, snorkle? I wonder what they do with these things there? I was thinking that perhaps I should find an old rusty car and then throw it in the car....but then what if it caught fire and then the old rusty car would be incinerated. You could lose perfectly good parts to a 1993 Toyota that way.

There is, of course, the cliff across the street. That seems kinda like a wrong thing to do, to throw two cannisters of propane in the ocean, but when you have an entire JET AIRPLANE in there and a Lockheed Electra and god knows what else.....well, how wrong would it be? I won't make a move until I get this figured out.

RE: Disposal of old propane cannisters? - TomK - 03-29-2014

You can also drop off old tanks at Hilo Propane on Makaala St in Hilo. I've done this a couple of times with tanks that were going rusty, both 4 and 10-gallon tanks. Didn't need to go through the hassle of removing the valve, so just another option for you.