Punaweb Forum
picture speaks for itself! - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: picture speaks for itself! (/showthread.php?tid=1345)

Pages: 1 2

picture speaks for itself! - Beachboy - 08-30-2007

[Image: 31524]

I actually had a better 'photoshopped' pic of Vick getting it in the behind from a "Pitty". But I felt it wasn't appropriate for here!

RE: picture speaks for itself! - Lin W - 08-30-2007

and neither is this

too soon old, too late smart

RE: picture speaks for itself! - David M - 08-30-2007

Not to worry - his lawyers told him to say he's sorry.
Can only hope the judge (and wife) are dog lovers otherwise Vick skates.

David

Ninole Resident

RE: picture speaks for itself! - Beachboy - 08-31-2007

quote:
Not to worry - his lawyers told him to say he's sorry.
Can only hope the judge (and wife) are dog lovers otherwise Vick skates.

David

Ninole Resident

David, not to worry! Michael Vick is facing one to three years no matter what! Should he have a chance at the NFL after his prison time? I'm not the one to pass judgement on him after his prison stint. But I did notice his father tell the media that his "dog fighting" was his son's thing. But I guess it's so imbedded into southern society that nothing will change it overnight, not even stiff prison terms..

RE: picture speaks for itself! - punagirl - 08-31-2007

Beachboy, I am a lifelong Southerner and have never been to a dog fight or heard of anyone going to one. I don't think dog fighting is a Southern thing at all.

Atlanta/Pahoa

RE: picture speaks for itself! - frankiestapleton - 08-31-2007

I'm with you, PunaGirl.

Raised all over the South and never heard or saw of dog fighting until I came to Hawaii!

I did a story on dog fighting for the Trib back around the late '70s or early 80s. It was truly sad. fs

RE: picture speaks for itself! - oink - 08-31-2007

Sorry Folks,
I've never been to a dog fight but there is a good bit of it in Fl. In some neighborhoods it's obvious that they are raised for that purpose. It does make the news once in a while. It is generally found in rural and in lower socioeconomic areas. However,it seems to be rapidly gaining popularity in ghetto neighborhoods. It appears to be a dificult enforcement issue.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

RE: picture speaks for itself! - Chunkster - 08-31-2007

The only part of Florida that remains culturally Southern is the Panhandle and the peninsula well above Gainesville. Cockfighting is more far prevalent in the South than dog fighting, especially in Louisiana and South Carolina.

RE: picture speaks for itself! - Kelena - 08-31-2007

Agree with Chunky. For the most part, Southerners LOVE their dogs. I do know the AP reported that it was a "Southern" thing, but the AP is a yankee outfit, and was in the process of excusing Vick, by way of ascribing his heartlessness to a supposed regional tradition. Cockfighting, on the other hand, does have its Southern adherents, especially in Louisiana. After you have been chased by a rooster, you do sort of understand why some people might be inclined to turn the roosters on one another.

I do have to say, for animal cruelty, Hawai'i takes the cake. When I stayed in Honaunau, cockfights everywhere.

Puna? Sad, chained up dogs everywhere. There needs to be a law like in California: chained up for three hours max.

Culturally Hawaiiian? Don't think so.

RE: picture speaks for itself! - oink - 08-31-2007

quote:
The only part of Florida that remains culturally Southern is the Panhandle and the peninsula well above Gainesville.

I beg to differ. Your statement may be true of the coastal areas, but with the exception of the Disney area resorts, not true of the inland areas. Not at all true. Sure, there are a lot of Cuban truck drivers passing through, but that doesn't change the culture of the area. The area where I live (70% Ag) is full of native cowboys and farmers and plenty of what you would call rednecks.

Also, my uncle used to fight dogs in Fayetteville N.C. as far back as the 30s, 40s and into the 50s. Yes, it is a southern cultural thing, but one I have had no part in. Today I would have to say it's more a Southern African-American cultural thing.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.