Punaweb Forum
Falling branch wrecks Big Island man's car - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Falling branch wrecks Big Island man's car (/showthread.php?tid=13635)

Pages: 1 2 3

Falling branch wrecks Big Island man's car - lavalava - 05-14-2014

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/25509489/falling-branch-crushes-big-island-mans-car

ENTIRE ARTICLE FOLLOWS

PAHOA (HawaiiNewsNow) - A Big Island driver is counting his blessings after a close call with a towering tree. Daniel Kelly drives through the scenic tree tunnel just outside Pahoa twice a day. A falling branch from an albizia tree wrecked his car on Friday.

"Obviously, it hit very hard and very fast. No time to react," said Kelly, a farmer from Kapoho.

The impact smashed the hood of the car, leaving a chunk of the engine on the road. Kelly walked away shaken and sore.

"It's pretty frightening to think that I have to go through there every day. Now that I know, I'm always looking up," he said.

Countless fast-growing albizia trees line Highway 132 near Lava Tree State Monument. They've also taken root across the island. The invasive species can reach heights of more than 100 feet.

"Their wood is extremely brittle because the rate that they grow and so they create hazards wherever they are. The branches come off the trees in just a slight wind and storm event," explained Jimmy Parker of the Big Island Invasive Species Committee.

The committee helped to cut down albizia trees threatening Upper Puna Road as part of a demonstration project three months ago. Parker said that there is a huge need for funding to prevent the problem from getting worse.

"We've heard of trees falling on homes and fence lines and along the road, but to have a car be just in the right spot where that branch hits it, it just means that they're falling down at a higher rate," said Parker.

"I would really appreciate the county to take care of this matter as soon as possible. The clock is ticking," said Kelly. "It's not a matter of if, but when."

A county spokesperson said that a highway crew will inspect the area and take appropriate action.

According to experts, bringing the problem under control will require millions of dollars. A push to secure funding failed during the last legislative session. The immediate priority is to remove trees near homes, highways and hospitals.

Follow Lisa Kubota:

Copyright 2014 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

RE: Falling branch wrecks Big Island man's car - rainyjim - 05-14-2014

This is gross negligence! It is a stroke of luck it didn't crush a school bus!

RE: Falling branch wrecks Big Island man's car - lavalava - 05-14-2014

It seems like that's what it will take to get those big ones taken down...

RE: Falling branch wrecks Big Island man's car - Tink - 05-14-2014

Millions of dollars, huh? Why not put it out to bid for independents that meet the licensing, bonding, etc. for salvage rights as pay, and cut the "red tape" fees of further studies, surveys, etc. just set a line perpendicular from center line of road to "x" as the cut line, and go!

Are you a human being, or a human doing?

RE: Falling branch wrecks Big Island man's car - HPPGuy - 05-14-2014

If we did that it would mean that the government officials corporate buddies wouldn't make any money (so sad, I know). Luckily we have lots of people in the government to protect big business!

Seriously though, I agree with you. Or even just start by putting people to work cutting down small albezia trees or scoring the bark on the big trees.

RE: Falling branch wrecks Big Island man's car - pahoated - 05-14-2014

The albizia was started in Puna, by private enterprise and community agreement, as a possible source of wood for creating jobs such as cabinet and furniture makers. As with many tourist enterprises, it failed and was quickly forgotten, ahhhh, wait 30 years, massive problem. Now, it's the county responsibility, although it's usually falling on HELCO by default. Admitting removal of albizia in Puna is above and beyond county road maintenance financing, just pay the county the money to close off the affected road sections and contract out to professional tree removers, which is expensive. Or change the bond for a new Pahoa park to clear albizia with the money.

One thing, having witnessed some albizia removal, it is also killing the ohia. Once the albizia are gone, the ohia start filling out into huge blooms. That, and more ocean breeze comes through. The only thing albizia is good for is looking majestic from a distance, which is fine if it is in the Australian outback, not Hawaii.

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"

RE: Falling branch wrecks Big Island man's car - csgray - 05-14-2014

That road is THE evacuation route from lower Puna. Can you imagine what those trees will do in a high wind event such as the winds that lead up to a hurricane?

Carol

RE: Falling branch wrecks Big Island man's car - Carey - 05-14-2014

PTed,everything I have read on the Albezia introduction it that it was brought in in 1917, as a fast growing ornamental tree for cane & other ag reforestation:
http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/forestry/trees/CommonTreesHI/CFT_Albizia_falcataria.pdf

Although it does have a very limited use in lumber & cabinetmaking, I have never found any reference to it being introduced for cabinet & furniture makers (the wood having very limited uses, such as pulp & ply cores, and some use for cabinet interior work)...but most likely not an economic job driver here...

However, if you do have any references for the woodworker/cabinetmaker reasons for the introduction, I would love to have the references for my species files...
Thanks!

RE: Falling branch wrecks Big Island man's car - punaticbychoice - 05-14-2014

I agree with pahoated and csgray.
Albezia are not "invasive" they were brought here legally.
I would like, just for once, for some thought to be given
to the actions we take around here.
And no, I'll not start talking about mongoose introduction.

RE: Falling branch wrecks Big Island man's car - mac nut - 05-14-2014

I agree Carol, and it looks like the county is waiting for the big hurricane to take the trees down for them!