Punaweb Forum
Superferry, is it good or bad for Hawaii? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Superferry, is it good or bad for Hawaii? (/showthread.php?tid=1381)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Superferry, is it good or bad for Hawaii? - Beachboy - 09-17-2007

After watching the news, and reading the papers my opinion has changed on this. At first I thought it would be great cheap way to take the family to other islands, and be able to bring your own car!
But after watching the few runs they were aloud to make, my views have greatly changed. The two or three trucks that went to Maui, and loaded up truckloads of Puka-puka rocks from Iao Valley is a perfect example of the nonsense that is sure to follow.

Being here on the Big Island it is obvious a lot of families have a hard time rubbing two nickles together. With the Superferry employment would even get worse here! As people from Honolulu would be in direct competition with Big Islanders for local jobs

My biggest fear is the main reason the superferry is around. I think their main purpose is to be able to help mobilize & deploy the "Stryker Units" to any of the island it deems necessary.

Edited by - Beachboy on 09/17/2007 06:53:42

RE: Superferry, is it good or bad for Hawaii? - HADave - 09-17-2007

I watched a program about the building and field trials of this rig, Whoa!! what a cruiser I mean this thing was built to haul ass no pun intended. My first thought was sea life, air breathers. I can't see how at 40+ mph from the observation deck or control room that all eyes could spot every possible encounter. especially giving the number of trips this this makes. Law of averages are definately high for a killing strike.

Having said that It is a pretty impressive rig, see slideshow here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/macprohawaii/sets/72157600807807224/

Nice but........I Think Not... my 2 cents

See new bumper sticker here very good points and nicely outlined..

http://www.boycottsuperferry.org/

Edited by - HADave on 09/17/2007 14:41:39

RE: Superferry, is it good or bad for Hawaii? - Beachboy - 09-17-2007

quote:
I watched a program about the building and field trials of this rig, Whoa!! what a cruiser I mean this thing was built to haul ass no pun intended. My first thought was sea life, air breathers. I can't see how at 40+ mph from the observation deck or control room that all eyes could spot every possible encounter. especially giving the number of trips this this makes. Law of averages are definately high for a killing strike.

were you here in the mid 70's? There use to be a company that operated out of Honolulu with a fleet of Hydro foils to take commuters between islands. Thing broke down at sea quite often. When that happened, they always had open bar. But besides breaking down, these Hydro Foils took out a high number of Humpbacks between islands,especially around Maui. But that isn't my main concern here, it will be the Govs. ability to mobilize it's Stryker Force and get them where they need to be quickly.

Dave, death is a gimme with this beast!

RE: Superferry, is it good or bad for Hawaii? - hilodiver - 09-17-2007

The army already has it's own barge that will transport the strykers along with all their other heavy equipment they bring with them when they train here so I really don't think they will use the superferry. But, I am worried about people coming over here and depleting our reefs of fish and opihi until they are barren like the ones on Oahu.

Aloha!

RE: Superferry, is it good or bad for Hawaii? - HADave - 09-17-2007

quote:
quote:

Dave, death is a gimme with this beast!

Amen!! and at the very least I think. The convenience of being able to shuttle one's vehicle between Islands especially with such a small law enforcement staff opens a door, like the boycotting link suggests, to so many many detrimental possibilities.

I believe that the Islands, collectively, are a very eco sensitive environment and there should be more stringent codes in place to prevent harm and ecology issues that could inadvertantly occur. Like the slaughtering of whales, the transporting of illegal aliens, like the mongoose and coqui and Lions and Tigers and Bears OH MY!!!!

Think of it, organized crime reaching out to the outer islands recruiting junior druglords to spread their nastys.

The Ferry is and was, bottom line, a scheme to make money, first, veiled by the conveniences to people living, working and playing in The Islands.

This State makes no qualms about code enforcement with regard to the Aina and its developement so shouldn't they enforce greater standards for the Seaways surrounding the Islands too?

There must be an offshore mileage limit that the State has control over./? At the very least, no water vehicles with such hull designs and speed abilities for mass transit be allowed in any part of Hawaiian Waters.......

The State needs greater law enforcement first, before things really get out of control.... end of rant

CUZ, NO TAKE SUPERFERRY

Edited by - HADave on 09/18/2007 02:40:41

RE: Superferry, is it good or bad for Hawaii? - Beachboy - 09-18-2007

quote:
The army already has it's own barge that will transport the strykers along with all their other heavy equipment they bring with them when they train here so I really don't think they will use the superferry. But, I am worried about people coming over here and depleting our reefs of fish and opihi until they are barren like the ones on Oahu.

Aloha!

Brah, these is a concern of mine too. The Honolulu Donkeys who took their trucks to Maui for the sole purpose of raping Iao Valley of Puka-puka rocks for their luaus. These three truckers represent only a fraction of whats to come.
Perhaps they can take some 'Fireants' back home to Honolulu if they ever come this way?! Those little buggars are no joke and would really cause havoc in Honolulu!

RE: Superferry, is it good or bad for Hawaii? - Daniel - 09-18-2007

Anything you could bring on the superferry you already can bring on a young brothers ship...its no different, except on the ferry you will get there same-day and travel with your vehicle instead of leaving it in YB's hands. If you don't like YB's service, theres not much you can do about it, until the superferry comes. Boy would it be nice not to have to deal with YB. I think a lot of fears about the superferry, at least the ones expressed on punaweb, are quite speculative and exaggerated. Like running over whales as if they are randomly scattered throughout the pacific ocean, and that jobs will be taken. Who would ride the ferry to the big island everyday for work? The same guys who are already here building roads and resorts that until now shipped their trucks on young brothers and caught a flight home on weekends. There are already tons of shippments happening interisland everyday. The only thing that will change is you wont have to deal with YB anymore. (well im sure they would have to compete so it might become a good service) And if you are concerned about traffic...for every 300 cars and trucks it brings, 300 more leave. If kauai doesnt want it we'll take it. One more thing...there's no way that ship is gonna go 40 in winter, not with 10+ swells, so it wont be completely dependable. There will be days that it wont be able to operate and day thats it is really late. So business travelers will not be able to use it much.

Just some thoughts.

Daniel R Diamond

RE: Superferry, is it good or bad for Hawaii? - Dave M - 09-18-2007

Wow that thing is huge. I think Daniel makes some pretty good points, but what does a lander know about it.

I do see the flip side to Beachs' concern about employment in that if it allows workers to come to the BI then it would allow BI workers to go there (other islands)

I do know that my friends on Kauai start ranting at the very mention of Youg Brothers, so maybe there is some room for competition.

Blessings,
dave

"Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield"

RE: Superferry, is it good or bad for Hawaii? - JerryCarr - 09-18-2007

Given the length of the HSF trips between islands, the cost, and the schedules only rarely matching up to usual work hours, I don't think it will ever be a commuter service. Although I suppose some folks might go to another island and live in their cars/trucks/campers while working.

There are a few people who commute between islands by air despite the expense. It takes a high-end job to cover the expense whether the worker or the employer pays for it.

Cheers,
Jerry

RE: Superferry, is it good or bad for Hawaii? - mella l - 09-18-2007

""I believe that the Islands, collectively, are a very eco sensitive environment and there should be more stringent codes in place to prevent harm and ecology issues that could inadvertantly occur. Like the slaughtering of whales, the transporting of illegal aliens, like the mongoose and coqui and Lions and Tigers and Bears OH MY!!!!""

Not to change the superferry, substitute highway system between the islands, discussion, hum think there is another even longer thread on the subject a while back, but of course I have another question.

Does Hawaii have UFOs and Big Foot (Saskatchewan)sightings? Are there regular sightings and are they reported in the local newspapers? curious as ever! Mahalos

mella l