Punaweb Forum
looking for Puna road facts - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: looking for Puna road facts (/showthread.php?tid=13843)

Pages: 1 2

looking for Puna road facts - terracore - 06-25-2014

I did some generally googling and couldn't find the information I'm looking for. Wiki says the County maintains nearly 188 miles (300 km) of roads in Puna, but does anybody know where I can find a cite of how many miles of roads there are in Puna that aren't maintained?

RE: looking for Puna road facts - Rob Tucker - 06-25-2014

Privately owned roads in the county comprise 40% of all roads in the county. A total of approx. 750 miles. Most are in Puna. Another substantial block in HOVE.

Some of the privately owned roads are maintained. HPP for example has a budget and road fees for maintenance. Other subdivisions have no such mechanism and fight and scratch for a bucket of gravel.

How many miles are not maintained? The answer is subjective and depends on what your definition of "maintained" is.

When the Puna subdivisions were subdivided and approved by the (then) Board of Supervisors there was code on the books requiring all roads to be to county standards.... all roads. The BoS violated it's own codes by allowing the Puna subdivision maps to be approved without roads built to the (then) county standards of frequency, road width, drainage and road surface. The county's liability is huge.

RE: looking for Puna road facts - Chunkster - 06-25-2014

Any ideas why no one has ever launched a massive class action suit over the substandard subdivisions? I know Puna is "different," but in this litigious society it seems like somebody would have gotten around to suing.

RE: looking for Puna road facts - james weatherford - 06-25-2014

Well described, Rob.
And, then there is this thing called "roads in limbo"...

RE: looking for Puna road facts - kalakoa - 06-25-2014

The county's liability is huge.

I'm pretty sure County investigated themselves and found no evidence of wrongdoing.

Chunkster,

It may be that legal action will be taking place this year. I can't say more for now but if it moves forward as hoped you may be reading about it in the paper this fall or winter.

RE: looking for Puna road facts - Obie - 06-25-2014

"The county's liability is huge."

We are the county !!

The taxpayers of today will foot the bill !!

Obie,

What you say is likely true. It is possible to address these delinquent issues calmly and reasonably. For several years a number of people, including myself, have tried to bring reasonable proposals and solutions to the county and state officials. Billy Kenoi and others have worked behind the scenes to make sure nothing happens. And so it goes.

It may soon be out of Kenoi's lazy hands and what will happen is what will happen. Personally I am ready to let the courts decide.

RE: looking for Puna road facts - kalakoa - 06-25-2014

The taxpayers of today will foot the bill !!

Is a GMO lawsuit a better use of taxpayer funds?

How about debt service for a park that might someday be built?

RE: looking for Puna road facts - Lee M-S - 06-25-2014

taxpayers are always footing the bill for sins of the past. Native Americans, inadequate levees in New Orleans...

><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>