Punaweb Forum
THe Hawaii Democratic Party - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Puna Politics (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: THe Hawaii Democratic Party (/showthread.php?tid=13947)

Pages: 1 2

THe Hawaii Democratic Party - 2liveque - 07-11-2014

How much do you all know about the Hawaii Democratic Party? Modern post-alii history and Territorial politics were ruled by the republican plantation and business owners. The "Go for Broke" 442nd 100 Battalion changed the game. Many of them, including the likes of the one Daniel K.Inouye, returned from war with GI bill money to go to school. Many got degrees from the University of Hawaii. Many got vocational and trade degrees from the trades schools that in time became Hawaii's community colleges. Through their GI bills, AJAs were able to move beyond the plantation, and seize significant roles in politics and business. In many ways, it was an indirect (and unforeseen) powermove that allowed non-white labor in Hawaii, to be empowered to stand up to the powerful plantation and business owners who ran the state-- most of them white. Many businesses that you know and frequent today came from this era. Since then, Hawaii has been ruled by the Democratic party.

Yet for one to assume that it is a monolithic organization would be foolish. There are many factions within the party. The Oahu Faction. The neighbor island faction. The conservative faction. The progressive faction, the Hawaiian faction, amongst others. Yes, it is one big party....but with many different competing motives.

Know that the current governor...Abercromie was with the progressive, "dissident" faction of the party that once included the likes of John Waihee, Ben Cayetano, Abercrombie, amongst others. Funny to see Ben now campaigning actively against Abercrombie. Politics make for strange bedfellows to say the least. Well, as we know, when the governor appointed Brian Schatz to replace Senator Inouye, it basically went against the wishes of the "great" senator, causing much of an uproar in the ranks of Hawaii's politicos. For those who understand the factions, it was no surprise at all. Which leads us to where we are at now, choosing between David Ige and the incumbent governor. Think race matters much? Put it this way -- many NON-AJA politicians in Hawaii have all had AJA wives. Frank Fasi, Mufi Henneman, Ed Case, even our own Billy Kenoi. Think race matters in Hawaii elections? Republicans Aiona and independent Mufi don't stand a chance. Don't waste your votes on them. It's purely between the incumbent governor and his seemingly greatest threat....Ige.

The Democratic party is a Beast. Very very powerful. One can argue that the party is too big for it's collective britches.

RE: THe Hawaii Democratic Party - punaticbychoice - 07-12-2014

2liveque:
Interesting and largely accurate perspective.
I see the current situation as a consolidation of a "New Old Boy" network in
the DPH.
Machiavelli had nothing on the deviousness of politics here.
I have an observation or two in the near future to make on this and your
related thread , just don't have time at this moment.

RE: THe Hawaii Democratic Party - Mendo - 07-13-2014

So what, vote Republican? Let's see, they oppose marriage equality, minimum wage, birth control & abortion rights (!), deny climate change, and would rather watch America fail than see our elected president succeed.

RE: THe Hawaii Democratic Party - Chunkster - 07-13-2014

Mendo makes some very good points, but I think there are rare occasions in Hawaii where voting Republican is useful for sending a message to the Dems when they get too far out of line. Electing Linda Lingle governor twice was more of a message to the Dems than an endorsement of the Republicans. Although Hawaii Republicans generally aren't the same beast as their mainland counterpoints, I would reserve voting for them as a "last ditch" option. For example, if the racist Faye Hanohano gets the Dem nomination for Puna State Rep, I will definitely vote for the Republican.

RE: THe Hawaii Democratic Party - DaVinci - 07-13-2014

quote:
Originally posted by Chunkster

Although Hawaii Republicans generally aren't the same beast as their mainland counterpoints, I would reserve voting for them as a "last ditch" option. For example, if the racist Faye Hanohano gets the Dem nomination for Puna State Rep, I will definitely vote for the Republican.

Based on what evidence? If you are a Republican, by all means, vote for Gary Thomas, or Duke Aiona, or any other Republican whose views are aligned with yours. But if you identify with the positions of the Democratic Party, then you would be a fool to vote for a Republican to "teach those Dems a lesson." Maybe here in Hawaii immigration reform isn't such a hot button item, but if you elect a Republican, you just asked for and got a low minimum wage, slashed health care benefits, aid for the poor, single mothers, education funding and a whole lot more that does in fact hit home hard here in Hawaii.

I support Leilani Bronson-Crelly, because she is the best candidate in the SH 4 field. She's smart, thoughtful, she can think on her feet, and she can pivot gracefully on an issue when doing so would best serve her constituents. And she is right on GMO labeling, which is important to me. I'm pro-science-but-anti-Monsanto-lawyers and I think mandatory labeling would be a great gut check for the corporate agri-business bastards at Monsanto. And Leilani agrees with me. So she's my girl. But if she weren't in the race, I'd vote for Faye before I'd vote for Joy, because Faye is also right on GMO labeling.

Not trying to hijack this thread, so all the pro- and anti- GMO posters out there, please just take a breath. My point is, you get what you vote for. Joy SB or Gary Thomas would not vote for a labeling bill, so I will not "send a message" to Faye for her admittedly disgusting transgressions, and in doing so endanger a cause I believe in.

RE: THe Hawaii Democratic Party - Chunkster - 07-13-2014

DaVinci, apparently GMO is an issue that overrides all others for you. If you vote Faye back into office, just remember that nothing she does will escape the taint of her racist ranting. Oh yes, I should mention that I vote Democratic about 95% of the time. Sometimes certain individuals are just too much. I put common sense and racial equality ahead of party line voting, and I know a lot of other Dems who will vote for Thomas if Faye gets nominated.

RE: THe Hawaii Democratic Party - Frankie Stapleton - 07-13-2014

Just to set the record straight, once again, that Joy San Buenaventura has been ON THE RECORD since pulling papers on the first day possible, Feb. 3, 2014, for State House Dist. 4 that she supports labeling of all food items as containing GMO products or no GMO products. And since she knows this has to be mandated at the federal level for it to be effective, that is what she advocates and has stated she will work toward. If it's going to take a groundswell of states adopting laws calling for labeling for the feds to get the message, so be it...she would vote for such a measure.

Without saying what I'd like to at this point, Joy San Buenaventura is also committed to running a positive campaign, one that does not focus on spreading lies about other candidates.

RE: THe Hawaii Democratic Party - Mendo - 07-16-2014

Frankie, speaking for Joy, says "she knows this has to be mandated at the federal level." This is the Monsanto position, conveniently. It allows her to play both sides of this important issue without any commitment at all.
Somehow Vermont didn't get the memo that Joy considers fact, and a dozen other states are showing the courage to act while Monsanto owns the FDA. It's Hawaii's turn, as GMO ground-zero, to step to the plate. Is Joy really ignorant of the situation, or just using Monsanto's slogans for cover?

Joy has a lot going for her, and might make a good Rep, but this both-sides-of-the-mouth BS does not enhance her credibility. I wish she'd honestly express her hidden support for GMOs. She sounds curiously like Biotec legislator of the year Tsuji, while claiming theoretical support for labeling. This is why people hate politicians.

RE: THe Hawaii Democratic Party - dakine - 07-16-2014

Aloha Mendo. Hey, Im kinda thinking Joy's the one myself, but you imply she's not on the up and up. I mean when you say "I wish she'd honestly express her hidden support for GMOs" it sounds like you know something I don't. So I gotta ask.. what do you mean by hidden? Is there something us no nothings missed? Do you have info we don't? I'd really like to hear about it. Or what? Maybe you're just slinging mud or something? And hey if so mud's cool.. sling away.. I'd just like to know. Mahalo

RE: THe Hawaii Democratic Party - Mendo - 07-16-2014

Hi dakine,
I'm not slinging mud; I actually like Joy personally and see some good things in her. Her own words are all I'm using; insisting "only the feds can act" is the standard biotec/GMO party line. That's all.
Anyone with sincere concern about GMOs recognizes this, and she is plenty smart enough to understand. I don't like someone playing both sides without sincerity. I'd prefer someone unafraid of her positions and willing to stand up for them, instead of lawyerly obfuscation.
To be fair, she is not the only one playing both sides, (see Hunt, Paleka) but the only one in her contest doing so. I admit this is a litmus test issue for me; perhaps it's not a deal breaker for others. I'll be voting for Leilani Bronson-Crelly, and hoping for the best. If Faye wins I will be content that at least we have someone who has the guts to defend her positions.