Punaweb Forum
so... it begins! - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: so... it begins! (/showthread.php?tid=14077)

Pages: 1 2

so... it begins! - ericlp - 07-28-2014

http://tmt.org/news-center/next-generation-thirty-meter-telescope-begins-construction-hawaii

Good News, I wonder how many jobs this will create?

-------------------------
To email me click on Link http://is.gd/QMfVEX

RE: so... it begins! - Obie - 07-28-2014

A Boost for Hawaii
The start of TMT on-site construction will directly benefit the local Hawaiian community. TMT will now make its first annual contribution to The Hawaii Island New Knowledge (THINK) Fund, a program that promotes science, technology, engineering, and math education across grades K-12, secondary, and post-secondary education. Over the life of the TMT lease on Mauna Kea, TMT will give $1 million per year to the THINK Fund.

In the construction sector, TMT will create about 300 full-time construction jobs. TMT has committed to the hiring of union workers for these positions. Looking further ahead, during operations, TMT will have a staff of about 120-140, which will be drawn as much as possible from Hawaii Island's available labor pool. A workforce pipeline program in the meantime will also educate and train island residents for jobs with TMT, as well as other observatories and high-tech industries.

RE: so... it begins! - lavalava - 07-29-2014

Finally! Thank god!

RE: so... it begins! - TomK - 07-29-2014

There are still one or two appeals upcoming although it seems the TMT group seem confident these won't stop construction. There has been quite a lot of pessimism within the local astronomy community in the last two or three years that the TMT would ever be built, not so much based on legal stuff here on its own, but on funding arrangements and commitments as well. It's very pleasing to me that this seems to finally be going ahead. Don't be too surprised if one or two more unforeseen hurdles will appear, though, I speak from experience dealing with the UKIRT situation!

RE: so... it begins! - TomK - 07-30-2014

"It is down in a depression from the peak, probably to keep it out of the direct wind at the very peak (not have to adjust for buffeting)."

Or it could be there is no room on the summit ridge for a telescope the size of the TMT and the summit itself is off-limits to construction.

RE: so... it begins! - kalakoa - 07-31-2014

then lawsuits need to start being filed[

Exactly: more lawsuits are always the best answer to any problem.

RE: so... it begins! - Guest - 07-31-2014

Regarding the Thirty Meter Telescope:

Ancient Polynesians were star gazers for millenia. They developed a model of the heavens tied closely to their spiritual beliefs that was sufficiently accurate for marine navigation. They were launching blue water voyages of exploration and colonization for centuries while Europeans were hugging the coastlines of a flat earth. Stargazing is fundamental to Polynesian (and ancient Hawaiian) culture. To imply that stargazing is Kapu atop Mauna Kea is a modern aberration. The establishment of astronomical observatories atop Mauna Kea is a celebration and continuation of ancient Polynesian stargazing culture, not a desecration. That Hawaiians recognize this ongoing tradition and have embarked on the construction of TMT, in spite of relentless legal challenges by zealots (some not even Hawaiian), is a tribute to this beautiful people and their determination to preserve Aloha. I bow in reverence, respect and aloha to their wisdom in doing this. They could have listened to voices that sought to retreat into dark fantasies of a bygone past. Thank you Hawaiian people. Your wisdom runs ever deep like the ocean and sky.

At some point Hawaiians are going to regain their heritage of stargazing (as they saved the Hula) and their kids are going to enter the field of astronomy and show the world a few things. TMT will be a beacon for the best and brightest kids on this island to aim higher than a one way ticket to the mainland. I look forward to the day a Hawaiian local stands in front of an international astronomy conference in a flower shirt and lei to announce a profound discovery. This is the Golden Age of astronomy never before seen in human history. The notion that Hawaiians should 'sit it out' as some form of self-inflicted punishment to make a political statement is bizarre.

TMT will be equipped with the latest laser/image stabilizing technology that will give it a fine resolution almost equivalent to what would be possible if it were in orbit. Due to its huge aperture, it will be able to detect much fainter objects than any orbiting telescope. Together with the 39 Meter Telescope in Chile, it will provide coverage of the entire sky at unprecedented aperture. We probably lack the imagination to conceive what these facilities will discover.

TMT solidifies Hawaii, and Hawaiians (make no mistake), as a mainstream force in global astronomy. I hope they use this as a platform to continue their presentation of their beautiful Aloha culture to the world as they have done so effectively with the Hula. I hope to see glorious consecrations in the Hawaiian tradition of this facility as it sees its First-Light.

To any Hawaiians reading this, my deepest gratitude. Thank you so much. I hope to live to see the profound images this device will produce. This is yours. Lay Claim to it. Celebrate it. If I speak foolishly it is because I am so happy and grateful. So grateful to the Hawaiian people who let this happen. This is a dream.

Aloha.

jp

RE: so... it begins! - Tink - 07-31-2014

I know they have college age student internships available, but do they have high school advance study and summer star gazing courses for youngers (or even adults) available to those that find a passion at a young age? Mahalo for responses.

Community begins with Aloha

RE: so... it begins! - 2liveque - 07-31-2014

TMT needs to pay up. That 1 mil per year to the community is paltry and insulting. The starting rate to the community should have been at least 100 mil. We are talking about a 1.4 bil enterprise....up from 1 bil four year ago. 100 mil added to the price tag each year. Don't be so set on innocent astronomers barely getting by on grant money either. These enterprises are closely tied into telecommunications, national defense, and many other industries that equate to big money. Dare we insult the big island community with that 1 million payoff per year? And with current economics, shouldn't that 1 mil each year be incrementally increased each year also...just like the cost of the building? I'm not against TMT. I'm just against another big money enterprise getting away with another caper.....just like the $1 per year rent many of the other telescopes pay. Mauna Kea is a precious resource no matter which way you slice it -- be it Native Hawaiian, scientific, or economical. If it is about economy, then our island deserves much more than the 1 mil per year on the table.If not, What a slap in the face. again.

RE: so... it begins! - geochem - 07-31-2014

quote:
Originally posted by 2liveque

TMT needs to pay up. That 1 mil per year to the community is paltry and insulting. The starting rate to the community should have been at least 100 mil. We are talking about a 1.4 bil enterprise....up from 1 bil four year ago. 100 mil added to the price tag each year. Don't be so set on innocent astronomers barely getting by on grant money either. These enterprises are closely tied into telecommunications, national defense, and many other industries that equate to big money. Dare we insult the big island community with that 1 million payoff per year?

Why go by half-measures, why not a billion $ per year; and charge the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory the same - they're developing technologies used by big oil and the military; and the National Parks - they're occupying native lands and collecting admission fees in the millions per year; and why not the University - they get millions in grant funds, why not charge the UH for their occupying precious native lands?

By the way, how much do you pay to occupy precious native lands?