Punaweb Forum
2 Trop. Storms Bring Thoughts on Storm Preparation - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: 2 Trop. Storms Bring Thoughts on Storm Preparation (/showthread.php?tid=14117)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

2 Trop. Storms Bring Thoughts on Storm Preparation - Carey - 08-04-2014

Right now is probably a good time to:

Start making big ice blocks (we usually fill various large plastic container w/ water & place in empty freezer space)

Make sure you have some cash (esp. small bills & such) for a few days w/out power

Make sure you have fuel for cooking and vehicles

Make sure you know if/when/where you should evacuate, hopefully not needed)

Make sure your "grab'n'go" supplies are ready & updated

Look around outside for things that may fly if there is a big blow...

Empty trash if you have a collection of stuff

Check roof & gutters

Check catchment tank (also look up & around, could any branches or stuff crash into it in a big blow)

KHON has their June "Surviving a Storm" broadcast on the web. This link has the program by segments, and has some really good information & a lot of myth breaking information:
http://khon2.com/category/weather/surviving-a-storm/

RE: 2 Trop. Storms Bring Thoughts on Storm Preparation - Andrew - 08-04-2014

- large Propane tank full - check
- a few reliable flashlights, electric lanterns with plenty of spare batteries - check
- car filled up - check
- phone that doesn't require wall plug to operate in case of power outage - check
- kindle charged up - check

Good luck PW Friends, hope this is another one that passes us by or sputters out

RE: 2 Trop. Storms Bring Thoughts on Storm Preparation - Tink - 08-04-2014

Getting ready to get ready. Nothing beats being prepared for the worst, and experiencing the least ( we hope!). Don't forget drinking water besides the cachment tank. Fill up the 5 gallon jugs and stash away safe in case of need. Keep a gallon of bleach for sanitizer for worse case dish washing, etc. if you,have to bug out, pack two,ice chests, one for each week. Tape up number two after icing up to seal in cold, should keep,things frozen until week two when you open it.

Community begins with Aloha

RE: 2 Trop. Storms Bring Thoughts on Storm Preparation - opihikao - 08-04-2014

Thank you for this thread, and great links. We are preparing, and this is sound advice. Here's an update of sorts:

(*Snipped - More at link)

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/26167902/ts-iselle-forms-in-eastern-pacific

Hurricane Iselle has regained intensity and is once again a major hurricane with maximum sustained winds of 140 miles per hour, making it a strong Category 4 hurricane.

At 11 a.m. Monday, it was located about 1,190 miles east of Hilo and was moving west at 10 miles per hour. Some weakening is expected over the next 48 hours, but forecasters said it will still be a hurricane (winds more than 74 miles per hour) during that time. Iselle is expected to accelerate and turn west-northwestward late Tuesday.

RE: 2 Trop. Storms Bring Thoughts on Storm Preparation - Carey - 08-04-2014

I was at HD this afternoon purchasing stuff for our kitchen remodel & noticed an LOT of cut plywood for windows going out...made me stop & think, we have never done the plywood for the windows thing so far, just taped... has any one done plywood in the past for your windows? What so you do with it afterward?

crap just saw that ALL of the hurricane models have iselle coming to the islands, and really tightly packed together...

RE: 2 Trop. Storms Bring Thoughts on Storm Preparation - oink - 08-04-2014

Don't bother taping. Afterwords you label the plywood with spray paint for what orientation on what window (saves new holes every time in plywood and/or house), spray them down with something to prevent termites from eating them and then store them in the garage or shed. I suppose you could tarp them and put them on blocks or a rack outside but then I'd really hose them down with your choice of bug preventative.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

RE: 2 Trop. Storms Bring Thoughts on Storm Preparation - csgray - 08-04-2014

My brother, who lives in Naples, Florida has pre cut plywood for all his windows set up in his garage and ready to go. He puts it up and takes it down in the same order every time, so it is easy. He raises rare tortoises and last time they got scattered all over his neighborhood. A $25 per tortoise bounty got them all back by way of the neighborhood kids, who now stop off before storms to see what size his tortoise herd is in hopes of cashing in again.

I've never been confronted by this type of storm before, our house is raised up a story on post and pier, except the guest room and laundry room downstairs are enclosed, and the upstairs has big windows and 3 sets of sliding doors facing the East. I am trying to wrap my mind around what is headed our way, and wondering where we are best off in the house, upstairs or down, while riding it out.

Carol

RE: 2 Trop. Storms Bring Thoughts on Storm Preparation - oink - 08-04-2014

If flooding from any source isn't an issue I'd go low.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

RE: 2 Trop. Storms Bring Thoughts on Storm Preparation - dayna - 08-05-2014

Carey, good reminder on the cash. We're ready otherwise, but I didn't think about in our cashless society!

Dayna

http://www.FarmingAloha.com
www.E-Z-Caps.com

RE: 2 Trop. Storms Bring Thoughts on Storm Preparation - Tink - 08-05-2014

Perishable food and gas are good barter tools as well if it hits really hits hard for later on in recovery stage. Usually takes a while for everything to get back up and running again. Keep your vehicles of full of fuel as Mimosa has suggested. Remember, if the State declares it a disaster, banks,ATM's will probably not be open until their internet connections are re established. BTW, the government sees the three stages of a disaster as "chaos, organized chaos(they have responded to the "situation"), and recovery.

Community begins with Aloha