Punaweb Forum
List of Current Request From Residents - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: List of Current Request From Residents (/showthread.php?tid=14274)

Pages: 1 2

List of Current Request From Residents - opihikao - 08-14-2014

Please help donate the following if possible:

(*Drop off with Red Cross or Assoc. Offices)

These are items that the community associations in Puna have requested.
C and D Batteries
5 gallon and stove sized propane canisters
Propane stoves
Baby food
Cat and dog food
Ziplock baggies
Paper goods
Trash bags
Solar lights
Flash lights
NO CANDLES AS FIRES ARE BEING STARTED
Wind up alarm clocks
Hand held radios
Tiki torch fluid
Lamp Oil
140 inverters for car
First Aid/Antibiotic Cream/Bandages
Baby wipes
Insulated freezer bags

Mahalo nui!

RE: List of Current Request From Residents - missydog1 - 08-14-2014

opihikao, I know an organization that is wanting to help, was trying to do ice but ran into issues.

Can these items be donated to a west side Red Cross?
Is there a link to the office locations that would pass the items on?

Any need for disposable diapers? (I have some.)
What does paper goods mean?

RE: List of Current Request From Residents - opihikao - 08-14-2014

quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

opihikao, I know an organization that is wanting to help, was trying to do ice but ran into issues.

Can these items be donated to a west side Red Cross?
Is there a link to the office locations that would pass the items on?

Any need for disposable diapers? (I have some.)
What does paper goods mean?

Please contact the Red Cross directly for Kona (I'm not sure where they are collecting) and COSTCO also set up a collection in Kona.

There are several other places collecting, but my brain is tired, sorry, and I don't want to mention places who may not be "credible" (feeling bad thinking that way, however...)

Yes, on the diapers, and not only babies use diapers, it is needed for kupuna too. Paper goods, must be: TP, paper plates, napkins, Kleenex, etc.

Of note, the Pahoa Community Center was well set up today with all of the organizations there with paperwork and information to give out. "Disaster Relief". Indeed, it is.

Mahalo for your help.

JMO.

RE: List of Current Request From Residents - Carey - 08-14-2014

did you get this list from the Red Cross??? I am asking because it seems they have a very select list of what they will accept...

We tried to donate cases of TP, batteries & canned food (veggies & soups) to the RC in Pahoa & were turned away (new cases brought from Costco Wed.)... Also, the 5 comm police in Pahoa had no idea what to do , or who needed the donations,..

We then heard (FB) that Nanawale Comm Center had a need & would take them...and they did

It was kinda like no-one in Pahoa had a clue what to do with someone wnting to donate material things (we had all of these items because Hilo side had very low shelf stock of them)

RE: List of Current Request From Residents - opihikao - 08-14-2014

WTH? No, I got it from the "emergency need" list that is flowing from all angles. If the Red Cross won't take it, I gather the individual community associations (who gathered this list and submitted it to the Red Cross is my understanding), would take it.

WTH is wrong with this picture? Red Cross won't take it? WTH will they take? They were all over the news asking for donations! Geeze.

Sorry, going to take a "chill pill" and smoke a cigarette. Again. This is a week into this crap, and trying to be positive sucks sometimes. [xx(] Part of the frustration is COORDINATION!!!

OMG. JMO. Thank you for all you're doing, Carey. Bless you forever. God help us, and the rest of this system that we must abide to. Ugh!

RE: List of Current Request From Residents - missydog1 - 08-14-2014

That sounds familiar with the Red Cross. I remember when Katrina hit, Red Cross did not want food and blankets and clothes. They want money donations generally, and I guess they don't have manpower to sort and store stuff.

In this case though, the RC doesn't really need to handle the stuff if the communities will pick it up.

Oh well, if there is a location, I may be able to get the DAR chapter to address the list. They were going to bring a truck of ice from the Waikoloa Village store, but it seems the store is having trouble with its ice making. (Anika Glass is the one coordinating. Some may know her as the activist who helped the wild donkeys.)

RE: List of Current Request From Residents - Carey - 08-14-2014

Yah, we are connected with a few internet groups working on providing for needs & collecting items. & DH was working in Kona Wed. & scrambled to get as many of the "We cannot find them anywhere here items" ... thought the RC would be the most central place to donate...

We did get to meet soo many good people volunteering, and many who had need only took just what they needed, & wanted to make sure there was enough for everyone ....

ADD: The list is very much what people NEED, just it seems RC has had to... well, maybe be cautious with accepting items donated (they did take the cash some had given us to donate...and were handing out stuff...so it may b that they have their own suppliers or something..

RE: List of Current Request From Residents - opihikao - 08-15-2014

KathyH, here's an update for Kona collection places, including COSTCO, and other drop off sites: (*Snipped - More at link)

http://westhawaiitoday.com/community-bulletin/where-get-services-and-how-help-after-iselle

Donation collections to assist residents affected by Iselle are being accepted by Hawaii Island United Way and Hospice of Hilo. The Hawaii Island United Way is also in need of volunteers to assist with phone calls and emails. To volunteer, call Gina Tanouye at 345-0773 or email tgina@allstate.com.

For more information, go to hiunitedway.org/iselle.• Donations of water, ice and food can be taken to the Food Basket in Hilo and Kona. For more information, call 933-6030.•

Nonfood donations can be taken to HOPE Services in Hilo or the Neighborhood Place of Kona in Kailua-Kona. Items requested are C and D batteries; 5-gallon and stove-sized propane canisters; propane stoves; paper goods; trash bags; solar lights; flash lights; wind-up alarm clocks; hand-held radios; tiki torch fluid; lamp oil; baby wipes; 140 inverters for car; first aid items; antibiotic cream; bandages; and insulated freezer bags.

RE: List of Current Request From Residents - missydog1 - 08-15-2014

Thanks so much opihikao. I don't read WHT daily and wouldn't have seen this. I'll pass it on. It's very helpful to have a solid list and definite info on where to donate.
[Smile]

I know that a lot of visitors pick up stuff like ice chests and buy too much for their stay and want somewhere useful to leave it when they go. I'll post to the tourist forum for the island and let them know they can do this.

RE: List of Current Request From Residents - Carey - 08-15-2014

NANAWALE Community Center is the most efective we have seen in getting out to those that need. any one needing is being accepted, as are those wanting to donate, & the stuff is being handed out

NEEDS
SMALL toiletries, like small Shampoos, razors, toothbrush/paste
paper towel
pet foods
canned foods, veggies, meats & such

the road is open to the community center & they are sharing what they have, they currently have teams out in lower puna trying to contact & distribute & are helping to try to get something organized in upper Puna.... Plans are for a dist site in HACAO area...as soon as HELCO can spare the space

ALSO there is a great need for tarps & those bungee ball things...we donated all of our old ones that we do not use (wasn't sure about the old ones, but "something is better than nothing, esp when the roof is severely damaged" )