Punaweb Forum
Getting Lei'd at Hilo Airport - recommendations? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Getting Lei'd at Hilo Airport - recommendations? (/showthread.php?tid=14334)

Pages: 1 2 3

Getting Lei'd at Hilo Airport - recommendations? - Todd H - 08-22-2014

Any recommendations or advice on buying a lei at the Hilo Airport? There are two concessions on-site:
Ah Lan's Lei Shop (and)
Lin's Lei Stand
Of the two, only Lin's has a web-site (with a dizzying array of selections).
Unlike Kona Airport, personal lei greetings bestowed upon landing are NOT available. From what I understand, one needs to order in advance, and then pick it up from the shop owner(no biggie).
There are no Yelp or Google reviews for either shop.

Any buying tips or wise advice would be appreciated by this (somewhat naïve) haole mainlander.

Finally, what are some of the basic rules of etiquette regarding the way the lei is received, worn, and removed?

Mahalo, Punatalkers!

Todd

RE: Getting Lei'd at Hilo Airport - recommendations? - DanielP - 08-22-2014

If in season get a lei with or all Tuberose. Fragrance is out of this world!

RE: Getting Lei'd at Hilo Airport - recommendations? - Rob Tucker - 08-22-2014

Leis are also sold at WalMart and Safeway.

RE: Getting Lei'd at Hilo Airport - recommendations? - macuu222 - 08-22-2014

I love Plumeria lei's but they're not always available on this side of the island.

RE: Getting Lei'd at Hilo Airport - recommendations? - terracore - 08-22-2014

You don't have to pre-order the leis at the Hilo airport. They have plenty to chose from. Just walk up and buy. The sellers make them right there.

RE: Getting Lei'd at Hilo Airport - recommendations? - opihikao - 08-22-2014

Either lei stand is good. Make sure the flowers are fresh from that day you buy it. I'm with Daniel, the tuberose is so fragrant and heavenly, right up there with pikake.

Both are white, and may be overwhelming to some people's senses. If you'd like some color, ask for a tuberose/orchid mix. Forget the manufactured "colors" on any flower (blue, rainbow, etc.) go with natural. Even a tuberose/pink baby rose mix is lovely, but won't last as long (roses in this heat wilt quickly).

Store it (if you have to) wrapped in damp paper towel(s) in the fridge. The plastic bag will sweat and ruin the flowers, and the person will get drops of water on their clothes when given the lei. Little detail.

As to giving the lei, over the head, with a kiss on the cheek. Pau. No hug after the lei, (hug first) you going squish it! [Smile] Enjoy!

JMO.

RE: Getting Lei'd at Hilo Airport - recommendations? - KeaauRich - 08-22-2014

In terms of etiquette, let me take a stab at it with the proviso that I will defer to others with more knowledge...

I've always been told a hug and kiss are part of the bestowing process. Leis are placed over the head and spread a bit so they lay on the shoulders a bit, rather than dangling like a necklace. Women should get flower leis, men should get leis that tend more towards woven leaves (tho I think this is flexible). The recipient should not remove the lei in the presence of the giver unless it is to bestow the lei on someone else.

In addition to Walmart and Safeway, leis are also available at Target, KTA and Malama Market. KTA tends to have a nicer selection than the other stores in my experience, but all of the stores have leis that the receiver will appreciate. Just make sure the one you buy looks fresh...

RE: Getting Lei'd at Hilo Airport - recommendations? - Todd H - 08-22-2014

Mahalo to all who responded! You guys and gals are the best. Every post was informative and useful, so I'll condense everything down to an index card and then I'll be prepared. No one will even suspect that I'm a mainlander (uh, right!).

No one mentioned it, but I'm already wise that "kamanawanaleaia" is not the secret Hawaiian incantation used when bestowing a lei on someone of the opposite sex. Haole don't play that game![:o)]

Aloha!

Todd

RE: Getting Lei'd at Hilo Airport - recommendations? - bluesboy - 08-22-2014

Here's my lei experience from a few weeks ago.

Flower lady at Hilo farmers market pushed anthuriums on us instead of saying she didn't have any leis.

Longs only had plastic leis.

Safeway's leis were moldy.

Lei booths in the airport were closed in the middle of the day.

My advice - make preparations well in advance to get one of the fragrant leis suggested above.

RE: Getting Lei'd at Hilo Airport - recommendations? - vmabry - 08-22-2014

Plus never give an expecting mother a regular lei, meaning full circle. If you do give a lei to a pregnant lady a open lei is fine. It is believed that a circle lei will cause the umbilical cord to wrap around the baby's neck.

Brian

Pet Sitting and Home Care Services
http://www.Pueo.biz
pueobiz@gmail.com