Punaweb Forum
Rush to put in roads - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Rush to put in roads (/showthread.php?tid=14549)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Rush to put in roads - pam jones - 09-14-2014

It never ceases to amaze me the way our local government operates on a knee-jerk mind set! I have heard of the need for alternate routes in and out of lower Puna for over ten years and not once have I seen or heard of anything being done to improve the congestion on 130, much less offer an emergency route. As taxpayers I'm more than a little ticked that now, in the mad rush to FINALLY address something that even the untrained common citizen realized years ago. Instead very tired workers are being pushed even harder to do what could and should have been done in 40 hour work weeks a long time ago! I honestly feel that the overtime cost should come out of the back pocket of every government person who dragged their feet in not getting this done years ago.[V]

RE: Rush to put in roads - Lee M-S - 09-14-2014

I don't think it's just "the government" that was the problem. There has always been huge opposition to every route by the people who live near it.

I'm glad that "the government" is making roads now, instead of waiting any longer.

"The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is now." --Chinese Proverb
(That was the cryptoquote in the paper the other day. Works.)

><(((*< ~~~~ ><(("< ~~~~ ><('< ~~~~ >(>

RE: Rush to put in roads - PaulW - 09-14-2014

This could've been intentional. Just wait for an emergency and it becomes much easier to get things done, sometimes you don't even have to pay for it.

RE: Rush to put in roads - Wao nahele kane - 09-14-2014

The County and State have an obligation to provide basic infrastructure, thus the reason for its creation as an entity within society.
When opposition to the most basic of needs in infrastructures is encountered, it is the governments very responsibility to ignore such irresponsible objections and move forward with what's necessary by the power vested them. Excuses that there were too many voices in opposition doesn't cut it. Democracy is tempered by basic responsibilities vested in the power of the State. It's that very power that was not exercised when it should have been.
If working in a mental hospital and the majority of the patience decide they don't want he roof repaired do you (a) ignore the majority patience request and repair the roof regardless or (b) oblige the patience request and allow the hospital to flood rainwater inside?
The lava crossing highway 130 has been a known possibility for many years and a responsible government doesn't wait till the last hour to create a half ass solution to the problem.

RE: Rush to put in roads - kalakoa - 09-14-2014

responsible government doesn't wait till the last hour to create a half ass solution

At least we were already in debt for the park, otherwise we'd still be waiting for the equipment to show up...

RE: Rush to put in roads - snorkle - 09-14-2014

The entire East Rift zone of Kilauea is subject to future lava incursions. If the County planned ahead like you suggest, there would have to be an escape route every quarter mile. Maybe it's better that they create them as necessary.

I say this with a smile on my happy face!

Snorkle, perhaps you would care to point out where anything I wrote suggested planning for every possibility. What is readily apparent as a potential problem effecting a major portion of Puna is what I was referencing as I have said countless times throughout the past several years on this forum, years before your joining punaweb. A 130 crossing of lava from pu'u o'o was and still is readily apparent between Leilani and somewhat beyond ainaloa. Planning and already being prepared for such a crossing with roads to handle such a scenario are and always have been a BASIC necessity and readily apparent to anyone who hasn't inflicted brain damage upon themselves. Filing in the blanks is obviously a case by case basis issue and no-one with a full functional brain would argue otherwise.

Snorkle, have you ever studied any of the topography maps and looked at the current ingress and egress routes here in Puna. Do you know how long Pu'u O'o has been issuing lava? Do you think lava can strike kapoho from a pu'u o'o flow and if so; what are those chances? In the realm of the here and now what are the chances Mauna Loa will erupt tomorrow and strike Hilo or Kona? Where has the current threat been located the past 30 plus years and what are the most likely scenarios with regard to inundation? It's really very simple.

RE: Rush to put in roads - punalvr - 09-14-2014

Kane, Kane, what kind of pie would you like?? LOL

punalvr

RE: Rush to put in roads - pahoated - 09-14-2014

What is it about State Of Emergency that some thick skulled people do not understand?

"We come in peace!" - First thing said by missionaries and extraterrestrials