Punaweb Forum
What do you use in Pahoa? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: What do you use in Pahoa? (/showthread.php?tid=14565)

Pages: 1 2 3

What do you use in Pahoa? - Wao nahele kane - 09-16-2014

To anyone - just out of curiosity. What services and or merchants do you regularly use in Pahoa? For us - we go to Black Rock cafe a few times a month, BOH on occasion, we use Paradise Business center for mail service, Malama Market, Ace and Malama Gas and on rare occasion Subway. We have used other merchants in Pahoa but not on a regular basis. A flow through the center of Pahoa will alter our regular routine to some degree but a Kahakai crossing will pretty much mean we seldom visit Pahoa unless our PMB moves to the South of the flow where Pauls would become our newly adopted local gas station.

RE: What do you use in Pahoa? - Wao nahele kane - 09-16-2014

I'm curious because there is also a potential that this flow does a stall and re-flow from the end of crack for a year or so straight taking out all of Pahoa in a wide multiple flow. If that becomes the case where should our local business relocate to if at all for some?
Will the four Corners at Kapoho offer the next best safe haven for a township in the area?
Maybe this should become another topic itself as there is a possibility we will face just that.

RE: What do you use in Pahoa? - Justin - 09-16-2014

I was actually wondering if Kalapana would get a bit of a comeback if Chain of Craters gets re-opened, as it would be the "closest" town to Highway 11, and supply trucks wouldn't have to venture any farther into Puna Island.

RE: What do you use in Pahoa? - PunaLover - 09-16-2014

Maybe Four Corners would be good for 'New Kapoho'?

If stuff has to come by boat something built up by Pohoiki would make more sense though since there's already a small protected harbour. Although it would take more than a few trucks to supply all the services Pahoa has now... Could Young Bros. bring in a barge full if Pohoiki was expanded for larger boats?

RE: What do you use in Pahoa? - Wao nahele kane - 09-16-2014

Justin,
It maybe just that with a secondary location also but perhaps more removed from the potential of harms way of Pu'u O'o flows. Kalapana is still very much a target area of Pu'u O'o. Along center of the Eastern Rift offers the protection of the ridge line from Pu'u O'o for the most part.

punalover,
I like that name... New Kapoho.

RE: What do you use in Pahoa? - LastTangoInPuna - 09-16-2014

S.P.A.C.E.

RE: What do you use in Pahoa? - leilanidude - 09-16-2014

Kalapana. aside from being a possible target of Pu'u O'o is just too far away, especially if the only road in ends up being thru Waa Waa.
Kapoho, if used as a new village location, would need to be chosen carefully as a flow could come down on the North side of the mountain by Green Lake. 4 corners wouldn't be as good of a location based upon topography.
It could be noted though that even Kapoho could be a new eruption if the conduit underground becomes unblocked.

RE: What do you use in Pahoa? - mmbvd7 - 09-16-2014

S.P.A.C.E.??? What does that mean please?

Best wishes

RE: What do you use in Pahoa? - csgray - 09-16-2014

Longs and Malama market would be a big loss for us, we also get stuff from the localvore store (amazing vegan pesto!) and the Pahoa farmers market all the time. I am going to really miss the pool if/when it ends up being on the wrong side of the flow.

I am home with the crud today and the thought of having to drive all the way to Hilo to get simple over the counter drugs while sick is daunting enough, but for people living on the "far side" no access to either a drug store or grocery is going to be a real issue. Maintenance drugs can happen mail order, but needs like crutches, or ace bandages, or decongestants, or treatment for allergic reactions will be hard to fill for people on the "far side".

Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb

RE: What do you use in Pahoa? - Andrew - 09-16-2014

quote:
Originally posted by Wao nahele kane

To anyone - just out of curiosity. What services and or merchants do you regularly use in Pahoa?

We use on a regular basis:
Paul's for gas with no ethanol,
Jan's hair salon/barber shop,
Kaleo's for dining and take out,
Luquin's for breakfast,
Boogie Woogie for pizza,
Both BOH for business account and First Hawaiian for savings,
Pahoa Sunday farmer's market for fruits and vegetables,
Island Naturals,
Black Rock for breakfast,
Post Office,
Long's Drug,
Burger King,
Pahoa Auto Parts for do-it-myself repairs, and small engine supplies,
Malama Market Grocery Store all the time,
Pahoa Ace Hardware,
Propane filling shop next to Ace,
Malama gas for fill ups
Subway for lunch,
Supercuts if I'm in a rush to have my hair cut,
Chinese Number One BBQ for take out,
Lex Brodies for repairs and safety checks,
Police Station for DMV, license renewals etc,
County water station for drinking water,

From time time time we also frequent:
Pahoa Library;
Paulo's,
Ning's Thai,
Village Cafe,
The small clothing shop across from BOH,
The Laundry mat if our machine or power is down,
The feed store,
Woodlands gas for gas and snacks,
Business Supply Store at Malama,
Health Clinic,
The BBQ place on the right as you head toward the police station,

I think that's about it though I likely forgot something.
Lifestyle change in the works?

Oh ya!

Oh and edit to add ~ Thankfully we never needed the service of the fire station or rescue but it sure was nice knowing they had a clear shot to where we are. That will change.