Punaweb Forum
What are the Best and Worst roads for bicycling? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: What are the Best and Worst roads for bicycling? (/showthread.php?tid=15240)

Pages: 1 2

What are the Best and Worst roads for bicycling? - No reply IS necessary - 12-17-2014

In terms of traffic, terrain (potholes/bad cracks/steep/etc.), vog, etc.?

NrIn

I feel a lot more like I do now, than I did a while ago...

RE: What are the Best and Worst roads for bicycling? - Rattlestaff - 12-17-2014

Best roads hahaha. Definitely not in this state. Anywhere on these roads on bike or motorcycle you got a death wish!

RE: What are the Best and Worst roads for bicycling? - lavalava - 12-17-2014

Any road is good if you ride on the left hand side and keep your head up!

RE: What are the Best and Worst roads for bicycling? - rogerluli - 12-17-2014

I sadly had that feeling...So if the bad roads and lousy drivers don't get you the loose dogs will finish the job...I guess I'm stuck in Florida...

Rodarupian

RE: What are the Best and Worst roads for bicycling? - birdmove - 12-18-2014

Well, before the highway construction, it was actually a pretty decent ride to hilo and back. The shouders were quite wide, and no hilles. It would be fien now on a weekend. I live in HPP and rode to Pahao and back a few times when our chess club was meenting there. It was tougher riding to Pahoa, as I always had a headwind. Coming back was easy, as the wind is at your back.

In HPP the shoulders are narrow, and there are dogs. One learns soon what streets are not a good idea due to dogs.

There is a mountain bike gtoup on Facebook that is local and called Big Island Mountain Biking.

Jon in Keaau/HPP

RE: What are the Best and Worst roads for bicycling? - rogerluli - 12-18-2014

I'M 66 and retired...Here in Florida I spend 2-3 hours every day riding...There are many good possibilities that are safe...We don't have hill issues, only wind...I don't think I want to start mountain biking at my age...Still I think I could mosey over to Hawai'i in a few years...I suppose pepper spray is illegal just like shooting burglars in your house...

Rodarupian

RE: What are the Best and Worst roads for bicycling? - Lodestone - 12-18-2014

Government Beach Road south of Hawaiian Shores works if you have a mountain bike or hybrid. The potholes and bumps keep the cars from going any faster than you. Perhaps more to the point, hardly any cars are on it.

RE: What are the Best and Worst roads for bicycling? - rogerluli - 12-18-2014

Yes I have a hybrid...Good to know there are possibilities...Now just have to wait until the lava cools enough to not set my tires on fire...

Rodarupian

RE: What are the Best and Worst roads for bicycling? - Rob Tucker - 12-18-2014

I have decided to avoid any biking here where cars share the road. Then again in California I will only use bike paths too... there are lots of them.

RE: What are the Best and Worst roads for bicycling? - Mimosa - 12-18-2014

The shoulders from Kea'au to Hilo are wide and fine in both directions except during rush hour times of day .
Bike paths do not really exist here.