Punaweb Forum
'Ukulele Kani Ka Pila? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: 'Ukulele Kani Ka Pila? (/showthread.php?tid=1580)

Pages: 1 2

'Ukulele Kani Ka Pila? - Kelena - 11-15-2007

Hey, I met Herb Ohta, Jr. and his musical partner Daniel Ho the other evening in San Diego, where they gave an 'ukulele seminar attended by about 30 island music lovers. They were both delightful and I got them to sign my 'ukulele. I tried to get Herb to sign my underwear, but he declined and appeared ready to call security. I had an awkward conversation with him where I shuffled my feet, and asked him, you know, how things were on Oahu. He said "Oahu's fine". I was going to drop Jason Scott Lee's name to kind of break the ice, but, as I have never met Jason Scott Lee, and, at this rate, probably never will, I thought better of it. All I could think of to do was hold out my ukulele. He took it and wrote "Aloha" on it over his name. He gave my ukulele the once over and then handed it back.

Our eyes met. His eyes said, "You 'ukulele groupies are really scary, man"...or maybe they were saying "Where did you get dis hunk of junk 'ukulele...on the internet?" Either way, the moment passed.

We learned how to play "Sanoe" and I got to hear him and Daniel play "Step 2" which you would recognize if you heard, and a few other songs. To me, these two are uke gods and it was annoying to me that when they started playing there was not instant silence from the class room. People just kind of chatted away as if they weren't hearing two masters. The guy behind me actually fingered his uke while they were playing. No manners at all, although, I admit accosting Herb Ohta, Jr., may have been a little forward on my part.

Saw Herb again Sunday night in Carlsbad along with Nathan Aweau, the hunkier half of Hapa with the beautiful voice. It was a chilly, drizzily night. But inside, it was Hawai'i, with Nathan and Herb and a local hula halau (I Ka Wa I Ka Hala). The girls in the halau were stunningly beautiful, including the generously proportioned ones. Every woman is beautiful when doing the hula, I think. You can see their inner beauty. Nathan joked about falling in love with one of them and when told that her husband was a Marine, said "Yeah, but is he Samoan? Cuz, if he's not Samoan, me no afraid of him! (he took that back and made clear he was jesting)."

Herb has swirls of melancholia about him, which leads to some beautiful, wistful sounds that you would never expect out of an 'ukulele. Nathan is a sunny jokester. Go see them if you get the chance. Herb plays at Hy's Steak House in HNL when back on Oahu.....where things are.....fine...just fine.

Question: Does anyone know about any 'ukulele kani ka pila's in Puna (formal or informal). I read in the Herald-Tribune that they have a HUGE ukulele group on the West side, but apparently zippo on the moist, beautiful side of the island.

I noticed one outside the Maku'u Farmer's market (about 5 people). Any others out there, or does anyone else play 'ukulele? I don't want to wait until I come over for good to get my hui together. Mahalo.

Edited by - glen on 11/15/2007 12:24:09

RE: 'Ukulele Kani Ka Pila? - PunaLover - 11-15-2007

Plenty on puna side, I have one hani son who's smokin on a uke he made out of mango. Their school and a uke building seminar a few years back. He one who plays at the Makuu mkt. sometimes too.
I work in 24 kinds of wood in case you wanna make your own someday.

RE: 'Ukulele Kani Ka Pila? - Lin W - 11-15-2007

Parks and Recreation has ukulele lessons every Saturday at the armory in Hilo, teacher is Aunty BJ Soriano. There are classes for all levels at $4 per and there is also one jammin' just for fun and they have a performing group. It's part of Parks and Recreation Art and Culture division, if anyone is interested. Or, Aunty BJ also has her own studio with private lessons if you prefer. I go to the intermediate class when obligations permit and always learn something new and have a terrific time.

too soon old, too late smart

RE: 'Ukulele Kani Ka Pila? - mgeary - 11-15-2007

I met Sam Rosen this summer at his shop in Holualoa on the Kona side, and visited with him for about an hour. He's got absolutely gorgeous uke's. Serious works of art, in a variety of woods, and most of them ring out like a Taylor guitar, too. Sam's just a really nice guy, we talked story about lots of things besides ukes. I bet he'd know about lessons, but he's over on the dry side. Sounds like punapetah and others have connections to more local teachers, but the ukes in Sam's shop are worth the drive. I'd drive back over there just to visit with Sam.

http://www.konaweb.com/ukegallery/

How do I know?

Edited by - mgeary on 11/15/2007 17:50:50

RE: 'Ukulele Kani Ka Pila? - Kelena - 11-15-2007

My current uke is a cheap import that I got off the internet. But it is signed by Herb Ohta, Jr., Daniel Ho and Lyle Ritz (lesser known, but important guy!). Getting Jake Shimabukuro might be a little harder, so I am holding out for Jason Scott Lee.

Jake's in town by the way. Go see him on Sunday!

There is guy named Chuck Moore who makes gorgeous ukes. He lives in Puna. http://www.moorebettahukes.com/

Pretty house, Chuck! And beautiful ukes. Then over in neighboring Ka'u there is Dennis Lake, who appears to be highly regarded. http://www.konaweb.com/mahina/

Peter, that is amazing that your boy made a uke out of mango wood, and plays it too. Man, you got that killer BBQ and can make ukes, too.

Would like to make it over to Holualoa, too. I love that little town. I dashed through it at about 7:45 a.m. one day. Wanted to squeeze it in before a cruise to Kealakekua Bay. Will give it more time, next time. I need a better uke, although I can never get rid of the one I have.

RE: 'Ukulele Kani Ka Pila? - PunaLover - 11-15-2007

Try wait, he made the uke, I work in wood, I don't make ukes. The BBQ is Bob's mine is a 5' rock ring. I just wanted to get that stright before someone wants me to make them a uke. Not sayin I couldn't, just sayin I never have.
Besides da boy did one good job, pretty the mango.

RE: 'Ukulele Kani Ka Pila? - Kelena - 11-15-2007

This message deleted because Glen hit copy when he meant to hit edit!

Edited by - glen on 11/16/2007 11:48:17

RE: 'Ukulele Kani Ka Pila? - krefty50 - 11-15-2007

I just started uke classes at Volcano Art Center. They are on Tuesday nights for 6 weeks. Only been to one and my fingers feel like bloody stumps! I would like to get mo betta, but kind of hard to find someone to give lessons. The guy who is teaching at the Art Center is awesome. His first name is Wes and he is easy to learn from...now if I could only sing! Think I'll check out the Parks and Rec...Thanks!

RE: 'Ukulele Kani Ka Pila? - moorebettahukes - 11-16-2007

Regretfully there is no formal open kanikapila sessions in Puna that I'm aware of. Frequently on Friday & Saturday nights a bunch of people including Ikaika Marzo and the like will play at Pohoiki but you better know what you're doing if you sit in with them! Andy is president of the Santa Cruz Ukulele Club and is currently building a home in Leilani and when he starts spending more time here we should have more opportunities to get together and play. He's apparently got is mailbox up and it already says "Puna Ukulele Club" or something to that effect! As someone mentioned before there is regular kanikapila sessions held on Wednesday nights at Sam Rosen's Ukulele Gallery in Holualoa from 7 pm to whenever's. Jack Knight leads the group and they get a dozen or more people.
As far as learning to play goes, probably the best deal in town is offered by the Hilo Adult Community College. Keoke Kahumoku frequently teaches for them at a rate of $35 for 6 weeks. Beginning lessons from a Master! Also if you're more serious about learning there is the Pahala Music Camp held three times a year in Pahala. Featuring Hawaii's best ukulele and slack key players the sessions are three to ten days long. Cyril Pahanui, Ledwerd Kanapana, Sonny Lim, Daniel Ho, Herb Ohta Jr, & Brittni Paiva were among the teachers last year. And you can be an absolute beginner to attend. Ask me how I know! Next session begins at the end of this month.
If anyone wants to learn to build their own uke there's a couple of good options that I'm aware of on the east side. One is Gerald Santiago's class held down at the Hilo dock's. A great guy and teacher, the class cost $400 I think, and that includes all the materials to build a koa tenor. You may even consider being a memeber of the Big Island Ukulele Guild (http://www.bigislandukuleleguild.org/) We meet about once a month at one of the member's shops and discuss building ukes, play music, talk story and eat!
Contact me if you want more information on any of the above. I won't be able to respond however until Monday as we are off to Honolulu for the big Ukulele Guild of Hawaii Conference this weekend.
Chuck Moore
Moore Bettah Ukuleles
http://moorebettahukes.com

RE: 'Ukulele Kani Ka Pila? - jdirgo - 11-16-2007

Its such a small world. I went to the Santa Cruz Ukulele Club website (www.ukuleleclub.com) and was checking it out when I found an old customer of mine (Michael McGee) as the Events Coordinator.

Michael looked at a ukulele I had in my office and informed me that I had a C.F. Martin that was at least 75 years old (based on how it was constructed). Neat guy.

Other funny story. He was at a restaurant one time in Santa Cruz, playing a uke and singing about "a black sand beach" when the lady at the next table asked "you mean like on the Big Island?" Turns out, she was also a client of mine and they called me from the restaurant to tell me about it.

Small world. Really small world.

John Dirgo, R, ABR, e-PRO
Aloha Coast Realty, LLC
808-987-9243 cell
http://www.alohacoastrealty.com