Punaweb Forum
Wal-Mart abruptly cancels Supercenter - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Wal-Mart abruptly cancels Supercenter (/showthread.php?tid=1609)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Wal-Mart abruptly cancels Supercenter - Kahunascott - 11-22-2007

Seems that the way we do business here in Hawaii scares off another business.
Even though Wal-Mart says they pulled the plug because of a nation wide cut back, I bet they weighed all the political problems here and decided to cut their losses.
Higa initiates a bill to “Ban big box stores” then he votes against it??????? Hello…….
Wal-Mart will not expand and I think we all loose. We loose, employment in the store, construction jobs including the material suppliers, DISCOUNT FOOD, a green store, DHHL revenue and new infrastructure to the county roads and intersections.
As in all construction projects Wal-Mart would be required to pay for infrastructure improvements in the immediate area.
They vowed to make the new sore more energy efficient and with the new price of oil the discounted food would help everyone.
Lets see after all the complaining about using the land for DHHL and homes for the Hawaiians just how many homes will be built on these 15 acres, none. The land is zoned for commercial use and will stay that way until someone leases it.

"Many dreams come true and some have silver linings, I look for my dreams and a pocket full of gold" Led Zeppelin

RE: Wal-Mart abruptly cancels Supercenter - PunaLover - 11-22-2007

If this is true, then we are truly blessed this day, and I will give thanks for that, YEA!

KEEP PUNA RURAL

RE: Wal-Mart abruptly cancels Supercenter - Kahunascott - 11-22-2007

quote:
If this is true, then we are truly blessed this day, and I will give thanks for that, YEA!

KEEP PUNA RURAL

Change is a comin’ if you like it or not. Change is good and if you don’t embrace change it will run you over like a bulldozer and make your life miserable. Sound familiar?

"Many dreams come true and some have silver linings, I look for my dreams and a pocket full of gold" Led Zeppelin

RE: Wal-Mart abruptly cancels Supercenter - Loretta - 11-22-2007

I am also very disappointed. I was also looking forward to fair food prices. Some of us have to watch our expenses...and Walmart helps us do that.

RE: Wal-Mart abruptly cancels Supercenter - HiloHaole - 11-22-2007

The inside story is that the unions fought it (and that's the reason) -- grocery unions, etc.

RE: Wal-Mart abruptly cancels Supercenter - Aaron S - 11-22-2007

It is very likely the 15 acres will be put to bid once again for a commercial enterprise to lease.

Costco originally looked at leasing this parcel.But I'm guessing they didn't put in a bid for it because normally they purchase the land for their stores outright, not lease.

Hello? i doubt if I would buy any FOOD from wally as it too would be shipped from China, S.A. or mexico.

I think I'd rather buy local, fresher, safer and it SUPPORTS our direct economy, as in money in the pockets of little farmers. Which you put all of them out of business, why for cheap WALMART JUNK?????

Makes my stomach turn. Never been in one, so all you who have been shopping in them on the mainland if that's what's most important to you, be where one is.

If you can grow your own, you'll be in a world of dependence when things change, NOT in the way you think.

Change is GOOD, change in important.
But redudant, selfish, unessesary development is is not. If less expensive food is your wish, why not a farmers market on that same spot???

For local growers, not wholesalers, or peddlers of food from who know's where. The Makuu market appears to be pretty successful, and growing. Supporting local people. Not corporate pockets on the mainland. Buy LOCAL.

ENLIGHTENED, Change is what one who hope humans may, some day achive.

Happy Gluttony Day to All

KEEP PUNA RURAL

RE: Wal-Mart abruptly cancels Supercenter - Hotzcatz - 11-22-2007

I refuse to shop at Walmart don't care what size it is or if they are giving stuff away for free, I don't go there. But then, I buy very little at retail prices anyway.

Small grammatical note: "loose" is something that is not firmly attached as in a "loose screw". "Lose" is something misplaced as in "if it isn't tied you will lose your surfboard." For some reason, these two words are being improperly used a great deal nowadays, dunno why.

Actually, considering the economic climate - world wide, not just in Hawaii - it makes a lot of sense for Walmart as well as other retailers to not be opening as many stores.

Edited by - hotzcatz on 11/22/2007 19:34:28

RE: Wal-Mart abruptly cancels Supercenter - Genxor - 11-22-2007

Hopefully , for the budget conscience , things arent always as they seem .....

As we are all aware, the Eastside needs many more shopping venues, be it groceries/retail clothing/or housewares.

The population of Puna continues to steadily increase, and even with a slower economy , will continue to do so.

Let's not continue to stick our heads in the sand and deny the inevitable.

Inevitablly one would/shoud face it head on and stop it in it's tracks, as pele does.

Question. Who's Inevitablity?

And is there something you so need you can find one the island, or that you have to have and can't find on line?I got stuff online which we're half the price had I had them made here.

Necessity, the mother of invention.

KEEP PUNA RURAL