Punaweb Forum
Internet options Puna worse now than 1 year ago - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Internet options Puna worse now than 1 year ago (/showthread.php?tid=16091)

Pages: 1 2 3

Internet options Puna worse now than 1 year ago - terracore - 06-19-2015

Exede: "Freedom" plan no longer available, at least $169/month for 30 gigs of latency-rich satellite data.

Verizon (used to be called home fusion): Depends on your bundle, but 30 gigs costs $90 more/month than it did 3 months ago.

Hawaiian Telcom: Told me this morning that "Internet is very hard to get in Keaau and Pahoa" and that they have no service offerings in the area, and that they have no plans to offer service, and that they have no waiting list for service.

Oceanic: If you have access to cable, you have no problems. This post isn't for you.

RE: Internet options Puna worse now than 1 year ago - macuu222 - 06-19-2015

Hawaiian Telcom is full of it!. I'm so glad I cancelled my landline with them. I live on 5th street in HPP and they've been telling me for about 20 years now that internet is not available where I live...yet my backyard neighbor on 6th street has it with them. I use Aloha Broadband and have had very good service with them at $50.00 a month.

RE: Internet options Puna worse now than 1 year ago - ericlp - 06-19-2015

Depends on your subdivision. If you bought in orchidland, there is no way you will get service from cable or dsl. Unless you are very lucky and someone moves or dies (doesn't pay the bill) and you happen to call them at that point and they hook you up. When I lived in Orchidland I knew that my options were very limited! Matter of fact I thought I was gonna have to go back to dial up. But, at the time aloha broadband was in the area and was going to get that, but sold my house / land in orchidland before it happened. Turns out my neighbor that was using aloha broadband got real tired of it going out and switched to satellite. I think in HPP they have a more solid connection than orchidland.

Anyway, my point is, move to a subdivision that has the infrastructure in place already. Don't move thinking things will improve. This is puna and most likely they won't improve. That is why I bought out in Hawaiian Beaches. Road Runner, and in some places DSL. You can get both if you buy on the shores side (so I am told). I just purchased a lot up in fern forest, square lot... and I know for sure fern forest will probably be the last subdivision to get wired for high speed broadband. Guess it would be cellphone service for me if I ever decided to develop the lot and build another tiny house.

RE: Internet options Puna worse now than 1 year ago - terracore - 06-20-2015

This was the answer from Aloha Broadband:

"It's really all about getting line of sight through all those trees. That and having access to more wireless spectrum/frequency are our biggest challenges to bringing service to upper Puna. Thank you for your continued interest though. We can definately contact you as soon as the situation changes."

Exede is supposedly launching a new satellite in 2016 that will greatly expand their service offerings

RE: Internet options Puna worse now than 1 year ago - Kapohocat - 06-20-2015

quote:
Originally posted by macuu222

Hawaiian Telcom is full of it!. I'm so glad I cancelled my landline with them. I live on 5th street in HPP and they've been telling me for about 20 years now that internet is not available where I live...yet my backyard neighbor on 6th street has it with them. I use Aloha Broadband and have had very good service with them at $50.00 a month.

I have HI Tel DSL and it has been the worst for the last almost 11 mo. Unfortunately my AT&T Mcell runs through it, so my cell service sucks too.

My SIL around the corner has Aloha broadband and it seems to be awesome. Thinking of dropping Hi Tel and going with AB only but it is hard to pay more for less ... service.... sort of. We have the bundled package and it is $55 (landline, DSL, US long distance unlimited). and AB is $200 set up and $50 per month. But you do get what you pay for which with HI Tel is not a lot at the moment.

RE: Internet options Puna worse now than 1 year ago - terracore - 06-20-2015

I did some research and the current Exede offering is 30 gigs/month at 12Mbs. If you go over your 30 gigs your speed lowers to 1-5Mbs. Hughes has 50 gigs/month at 15Mbs, plus they give an additional 50 gigs between 2-8 am. I couldn't find buried in their web site if you go over the 50 gigs what happens.

Both companies are launching new satellites in 2016 to add capacity. Both companies require 2 year service commitment with substantial penalty for early termination.

RE: Internet options Puna worse now than 1 year ago - Carey - 06-20-2015

We were told by HI Tel cust. (dis)service, when we moved into this house, that we were too far from a DSL sub to get service...as we are only a block from a sub (geek DH had checked THAT out way before purchasing house...), we were surprised...and asked the HI Tel installer when she stopped by to put in our landline...she re-confirmed we were a block away & that the sub had 'spigots' (my term...forgot the tech term). She called the home station & got us onto DSL all while connecting the land -line... same bundle as KCat

our take-away:
1. the customer service at HI Tel is not worth calling, they say what'eva & have an "I-no-kaya' attitude
2. The installer was & is super spectacular...

RE: Internet options Puna worse now than 1 year ago - Chunkster - 06-20-2015

After five years of continually worsening service, we dumped HI Tel. We had frequent outages and much slower speeds than we were paying for when it was working. In a rare moment of honesty, I actually got a phone rep to admit that they had "serious problems" in my area, HPP. Luckily, the cable company had wired my road a couple of years before, and we got Roadrunner. It has been great.

RE: Internet options Puna worse now than 1 year ago - Gus - 06-20-2015

I guess it's all relative to what you have and can get. When we moved in (Orchidlands) Aloha Broadband said no coverage, Verizon said sure, but then didn't work. Hawaiian Tel said call us tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow and Excede was offering 150 gigs, terrible latency, and the chance to lose your internet every time it rained (once a day). The winner was Excede at 110 bucks. Then one rainy day a couple of months ago when it was out and I was bored, I called Hawaiian Tel and the CSR said he was about to give DSL to the first person he had ever talked to in Keaau in the 5 years he had worked there. So now I have DSL and Hawaiian Tel is my new best friend. 6.66 megs (somewhat ironic)but it works and doesn't slow down, or speed up, so I like them. Oceanic should be required to provide more service, and Hawaiian Tel should be required to add more ports. We should be faced with choices, not desperate decisions.

RE: Internet options Puna worse now than 1 year ago - Wao nahele wahine - 06-20-2015

We had Hughes and couldn't wait until our two years was up to switch to someone else. I don't recall what our limit was, but it was easy to go over, and then you were ramped back to a very slow dial-up type speed for 24 hours. Now we have Aloha Broadband and are much happier. There have been a couple hiccups with it over the years, but nothing major.

Wahine