Punaweb Forum
CoH takes care of it's burglars - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: CoH takes care of it's burglars (/showthread.php?tid=16446)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

CoH takes care of it's burglars - Rob Tucker - 09-26-2015

From the Trib:

Probation, short jail term for HPP burglar

"A 23-year-old Keaau man who burglarized a Hawaiian Paradise Park home last year during a state of emergency declared in response to the June 27 lava flow was sentenced Friday to four years probation."

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/local-news/probation-short-jail-term-hpp-burglar

RE: CoH takes care of it's burglars - lavalava - 09-26-2015

I am in the wrong business!

RE: CoH takes care of it's burglars - Chunkster - 09-26-2015

Here we go again! There is almost no accountability for judges in this state. Even if we had a tough, effective prosecutor's office, which we don't, it would do little good when judges behave this way.

RE: CoH takes care of it's burglars - birdmove - 09-26-2015

So, where does the criminal get his negative reinforcement from?

Jon in Keaau/HPP

RE: CoH takes care of it's burglars - Guest - 09-26-2015

This guy got CAUGHT stealing during very tough times out here in puna. Some know how difficult it is for our local police to catch a thief or thieves in Rural puna to begin with. Wonder why the cops even try to catch em at all, like the wrist slap makes a difference.
The man who was busted with some of the communities medicine last week, Mike Ruggles. He Had his house and land stolen by Mitch Roth and the hilo police. Personally I would like to see a few less thieves in Puna, especially the higher ranking thieves. Our Mayor Kenoi, the police, and D.A are in positions to rid puna from this type of behavior, yet stealing has become a way of life out here in the wild wild east. Jmo.

RE: CoH takes care of it's burglars - kimo wires - 09-26-2015

Well, The kid was remorseful, He got a year in jail, at least. It was his first offense. Has to pay restitution. And now has a criminal record that will follow him for the rest of his life.

I'm sure the judge takes that all into account. He's got to know that if he gets busted again he'll go up for a long time. So, what's the lesser of two evils? The county having to support this Kid for 10 years on our dime ? Or taking a chance that he will ,semi, clean up his act?

Now if we can just get him some english lessons..

RE: CoH takes care of it's burglars - Punatic007 - 09-26-2015

Wow, I wonder if we'll ever know the special conditions for such light sentences. Did they become informants? Related to the judge? Jails, prisons too full? What? We deserve to know, since the judge appears to be promoting criminal behavior.

Sure would be less crazy making if we knew the "why's and "what the hecks"!

RE: CoH takes care of it's burglars - Rob Tucker - 09-26-2015

I seem to recall that there were enhanced penalties declared for crimes committed during the lava emergency. All bark, no bite.

No sympathy for thieves from me.

RE: CoH takes care of it's burglars - kimo wires - 09-26-2015

^ Absolutely right. I really don't have much sympathy for thieves either.
I'm sure the Judges have to consider every case's unique circumstances.
1st offense plays heavily toward the defendant's case.
I couldn't imagine having that job.

One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.

RE: CoH takes care of it's burglars - PauHana - 09-26-2015

This guy is an amateur criminal, should they send him to prison to make him a professional?

Remember the bumper sticker " THE WORST DAY FISHING IS BETTER THAN THE BEST DAY WORKING"

I knew an X con once and this was the bumper sticker on his truck

" THE WORST DAY WORKING IS BETTER THAN THE BEST DAY IN PRISON"

Hopefully this guy has learned that from a year in jail.