Punaweb Forum
Kaleo's - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Kaleo's (/showthread.php?tid=16636)

Pages: 1 2 3

Kaleo's - macuu222 - 11-23-2015

I've lived here in the Pahoa area for over 10 years and have never once eaten in a Pahoa restaurant. My friends here keep telling me to try Kaleo's. Said it was rather expensive but really good. I have relatives coming here for the holidays and wanted to take them someplace close by. My question is.... Is Kaleo's really that good? Any opinions good or bad are welcome.

RE: Kaleo's - shockwave rider - 11-23-2015

I have had some of the best food I have ever put in my mouth there, and some of the most overpriced mediocre food. That said, I would avoid a big holiday meal, make a reservation for the main room (before the music comes on if anyone in your party has hearing issues) and plan on a relaxed meal. Do not let them put you on the porch facing the road. As far as Pahoa town goes, it is the best special occasion place we have, and as good as the restaurants in the same category of food in Hilo.

RE: Kaleo's - dmbwest - 11-23-2015

(IMO) Nope and +1 to not break your streak.

aloha,
pog

RE: Kaleo's - birdmove - 11-23-2015

I say go to Kaleo's. If you go for dinner on a weekend, better make reservations. Save room for the lilikoi cheesecake! Or, go for lunch. I've only been here just over four years, and have been there maybe 15 times.

Jon in Keaau/HPP

RE: Kaleo's - shave_ice - 11-23-2015

I agree with shockwave. I've had a couple of amazing steak meals there. A couple of times it was just ok, but I've never had a bad experience there. If you've never eaten at a Pahoa restaurant, Kaleo's is definitely your best bet, imo. Also, their margaritas are awesome, if you like that sort of thing.

RE: Kaleo's - eigoya - 11-23-2015

I had never had a bad, or anything but delicious, meal there until we took friends visiting from Paris and London; then it was terrible in spectacular fashion: cold hot food, hot cold food, burnt, slow, surly, noisy. Guests thought we were mad taking them there. Embarrassing. Don't chance it.

RE: Kaleo's - Punatic007 - 11-23-2015

The acoustics are horrible. The original restaurant was Godmothers and she had commercial wall to wall carpeting with half walls inside. Last two times I was at Kaleo's when the blender at the bar was going all conversation at my table ceased till someone's drink was well blended and we could talk and listen again. Then the bartender was having a loud conversation yelling down to the guy at the end of the bar. If there are no loudmouths, it's before 7pm and not too many blended drinks it's not too noisy inside. But all it takes is one narcissist enjoying the sound of his or her voice amplified by the acoustics of the room and it's not worth the money to dine there in my opinion. The outside areas are worse. Food looks gourmet but much of the menu is fried, too fried.

Busiest days in restaurants are holidays, go at your own risk.

RE: Kaleo's - Kapoho Joe - 11-23-2015

Sorry to say that the voices above are correct - 50% of the time Kaleos is on par with 5 star fare found in New York, London, etc. and then the other 50% of the time it's just okay. Never had a bad meal there though, just been underwhelmed a few times.

RE: Kaleo's - Obie - 11-23-2015

After this hot summer , they put in air-conditioning and thermopane windows.

The food is overpriced but there are some real gems that are inexpensive !

Try the "Fish and Chips " from the appetizer menu .

$12.00 Ono

Never had a bad meal there !

RE: Kaleo's - EightFingers - 11-23-2015

Been to Kaleos quite a few times and the meals were all good with some minor exceptions. Example, last time there, I had prime rib (done like I wanted) and tasty, but the mashed potatoes it was spitting next to were very cold as were the vegetables. For the price I was paying, I feel the hot food should be hot.
On busy days, the service might be a little slow, but they've always been courteous.
I really didn't mind the porch by the street, the entertainment can be "interesting", I do try to stay well away from the music.