Punaweb Forum
Hawaii recognized for excellence - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hawaii recognized for excellence (/showthread.php?tid=16637)

Pages: 1 2

Hawaii recognized for excellence - kalakoa - 11-24-2015

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/state/hawaii-awarded-improved-food-stamp-processing

The U.S. Department of Agriculture has awarded Hawaii more than $660,000 for expediting its review of applications for the federal food stamp program.
The state Department of Human Services has come a long way from 2010, when only 29 percent of applications were processed within the 30 days required by federal rules. In fiscal 2014, the department raised that figure to 94 percent.

Having expedited a process sufficiently that it can happen within the required time ... I salute DHS for their incredible achievement.

RE: Hawaii recognized for excellence - leilanidude - 11-24-2015

That expedited processing means that mainland hippy wannabe types can get off the plane, stop at the office in Hilo, and walk out with a EBT card, still able to hitchhike to Pahoa before dark.

There MUST be a residency requirement added.

RE: Hawaii recognized for excellence - dakine - 11-24-2015

There MUST be a residency requirement added.

Excuse my ignorance but if it's a federal program what does (and here I am assuming you mean state) residency have to do with it? And since you singled out mainland hippy wannabe types might it be worthy of noting that if that's the case it would apply equally to disabled armed services types as well? Would you have a problem with them getting their needs met in an expedient manner? What about all the other types? Do you have a problem with any of them or are you only concerned with the mainland hippy wannabe types?

RE: Hawaii recognized for excellence - kalakoa - 11-24-2015

Do you have a problem with any of them

My problem is not with the recipients, but with the State's priorities -- where there's free Federal money to be had, suddenly State can achieve continuous process improvement, despite their apparent (demonstrated) lack of ability in other areas.

RE: Hawaii recognized for excellence - leilanidude - 11-24-2015

To start with, if one is so poor that they need "assistance", how did they pay for the plane flight to Hawaii?
My concern is with those that make zero effort to contribute to society and simply look for the hand-outs. I assume that veterans have generally already contributed.

RE: Hawaii recognized for excellence - PunaMauka2 - 11-24-2015

Sounds like a typical conservative strawman argument based heavily on stereotype.

RE: Hawaii recognized for excellence - dmbwest - 11-24-2015

Healthy looking 'hippie chick' in front of me trying to buy Ben and Jerry's' with her new EBT card she does not even know how to use yet. Clerk says cannot use, so she whips out a her Louis Vuitton wallet and pays with a credit card ...

"Must be really hurting to use EBT for ice cream"

Thats my stereotype ...

RE: Hawaii recognized for excellence - PunaMauka2 - 11-24-2015

Damn hippie chicks, I tell you.

RE: Hawaii recognized for excellence - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 11-24-2015

'hippie chick' in front of me trying to buy Ben and Jerry's' with her new EBT card she does not even know how to use yet.

How to meet women, Puna Edition:

1) Offer to pay for that ice cream, your treat, with cash, preferably a $10 or $20 bill to show you're a high roller.

2) Keep the conversation moving. Mention "I've got two spoons in the glove compartment," while nodding toward the parking lot. Do not mention "of my '89 Nissan" if you own an '89 Nissan.
No car or pickup truck? Review your mental inventory of nearby food establishments with plastic utensils; Island Nat, Pahoa Fresh Fish. etc. and suggest "Hey, I know where we can get spoons!" This will indicate your comprehensive knowledge of the local surroundings, which leads to step three.

3) Should your conversation over a pint of Cheery Garcia reveal mutual simpatico, offer to show her the sights. After an afternoon together you'll know whether you might have discovered Puna Love. Try and remember if you have any rice and maybe carrots in the fridge, then invite her over for dinner. Rice and one vegetable should be plenty as you've already had ice cream for dessert. At this point you may wish to mention there's an extra sofa in your "living room-area" for the occasional couch surfer, and do not fail to state clearly and for the record that your house contains the Holy Grail for new arrivals,

hot
running
water*.

* Check that propane tank recently? You only have one chance to make a good first impression.

RE: Hawaii recognized for excellence - knieft - 11-24-2015

PM2: Sounds like a typical conservative strawman argument based heavily on stereotype.

Not really, but not sure since you didn't say specifically what you were referring too...?

But you let dakine slide with this?:

"dakine: since you singled out mainland hippy wannabe types might it be worthy of noting that if that's the case it would apply equally to disabled armed services types as well"

The dreaded, "everything is just as true as everything else" fallacy... Wink

But back to OP's topic. Non-example: DOT letting federal money sometimes rot off the branch. Wink But it is nice to see they can do _something_ in a timely manner. Though it does seem to imply there is not much vetting of need. Who knows?

Cheers,
Kirt