Punaweb Forum
Real Estate Agent recommendation - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Real Estate Agent recommendation (/showthread.php?tid=17131)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Real Estate Agent recommendation - Vic - 04-22-2016

Ive done a bit of searching and didn't really find what I was looking for so thought I would just ask.

My Wife and I live in Oregon, and we have a 9 year plan to move to the Big Island in the Puna district. Ive done a fair amount of research into various Sub divisions.

I found some property in Nanawale that has caught our eye, and wondered what people thought of that subdivision,as its actually the least researched of the ones I have been looking at.

I would also like to hear peoples recommendation for a real estate agent that is very familiar with puna..

Cant wait to live in Puna!

RE: Real Estate Agent recommendation - kalakoa - 04-22-2016

There are two Nanavale:

Estates: high-density 7500sf lots, mandatory dues, CC&Rs focused on a "residential" experience with high property values, but they do have a playground and a pool.

Farm Lots: borders Estates, I believe all lots are 1-acre.

A handful of Estates lots along the main road are actually zoned Residential; some even have County water. The rest of the subdivision is "legal nonconforming" A-1a. The middle of the subdivison has entire blocks overrun with albizia.

Opinion: Nanavale Estates is a great place to build a starter home and raise children, but the commute to Hilo will tend to suck.

RE: Real Estate Agent recommendation - Kenney - 04-22-2016

Jared Gates at Big Island Land Company is both familiar with the area and extremely trustworthy. Good luck with your move! Lots of Oregon people here!

RE: Real Estate Agent recommendation - Vic - 04-22-2016

quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

Opinion: Nanavale Estates is a great place to build a starter home and raise children, but the commute to Hilo will tend to suck.

Did you say Nanvale on purpose? Like that's what locals call it? Fortunately i don't have any plans to commute, hoping to live off retirement funds, and hopefully hit on small business idea.. maybe, lol.

The lots are under and acre, and over a 1/4 acres so likely not part of the "estates" Ill have to look into that more. Do the areas out side of the "high density" area also have CCR's and dues?

Kenny, thanks for the recommend.. Smile

RE: Real Estate Agent recommendation - allensylves - 04-22-2016

Craig Shigeoka with Brilhante helped us with our 2 purchases, was very helpful and is knowledgeable of Puna.

Allen
Finally in HPP

RE: Real Estate Agent recommendation - maud gonne - 04-22-2016

I live in Nanawale (pronounced nana-vallee) Farm lots, 5 acres. But we also bought a small Estates lot so we'd have a connecting driveway from the 5 acres to a paved road. The Farm lots are great! Just secluded enough but still not far from Pahoa town. The Estates have crime, "ice," and bad dog issues, but maybe that's true of most of the subdivisions (?) I like the diversity of the Estates residents: lots of locals, young working class families, some retirees...

RE: Real Estate Agent recommendation - Vic - 04-22-2016

nana-vallee sound like nana-valley? or - Vale? C

Crime might be a bit off putting. Will definitely be something to look at when we visit, but to some degree, Ive noticed if i stay out of peoples business they generally stay out of mine.. Not a perfect science though. Wink

@Allensylves Added Craig to the list, thx!

RE: Real Estate Agent recommendation - PaulW - 04-22-2016

Welcome to Puna!

My advice would be to not use a real estate agent at all, you obviously know how to do your own research.
They add thousands of dollars of unnecessary expense and they are usually a huge waste of time as well.

As for subdivisions, pay the most that you can afford, there are reasons why some are so cheap.

RE: Real Estate Agent recommendation - kalakoa - 04-22-2016

Did you say Nanvale on purpose?

Yes; I wrote it how it's pronounced rather than how it's spelled.

RE: Real Estate Agent recommendation - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 04-22-2016

My advice would be to not use a real estate agent at all... They add thousands of dollars of unnecessary expense

Generally the seller pays all real estate agent commissions, and a good portion of the closing costs.

If you do wish to buy directly from the owner, Craigslist has a fair amount of local listings by owner. Some seem reasonably priced, some not so much. You can always hire an appraiser to be sure if you get serious about a property.
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/search/big/reo?areaAbb=honolulu

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." -Annie Dillard