Punaweb Forum
Hilo TV - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hilo TV (/showthread.php?tid=173)

Pages: 1 2

Hilo TV - leilaniguy - 01-12-2006

This mornings' Tribune-Herald announced that HILO5 will start broadcasting in a few days. This will be BI's first TV station, other than public access cable. The tower is in Pepeekeo. Sure will be nice to finally get LOCAL weather and news! The article says it will be viewable from Hamakua to Keaau and Volcano, Don't know about Pahoa, will not reach over the mountains, sorry Kona Wink You will need an antenna.

RE: Hilo TV - nanasohana - 01-12-2006

I have got to say being here in Puna at this time of change and growth is so exciting. My emotions are so intense..for me this place is so very different in so many ways than my life in Ohio and Oklahoma and an area that is seeing growth and development constantly..what a great experience to be in the middle of. At one moment I am so homesick for my Oklahoma and family there then the next I am so excited about whats going on here and our building and all...I really didn't have a clue how this would be but wow....

RE: Hilo TV - David D - 01-12-2006

Here's the web site:
http://www.hilo5.com/pages/1/index.htm
Not much there, but they've just started.

RE: Hilo TV - leilaniguy - 01-12-2006

Aloha Nancy,Yes the growth and change in the last couple of years is phenomenal, some good, some bad, I just hope we don't lose what makes this place so different and special. When I moved here this last time in '99 I was totally flabbergasted to see that Keaau village had entirely disappeared. There used to be little shops streching from the Buddhist temple all the way to the police station on leasehold land. friends here told me that early one Sunday morning a D9 cat bulldozed everything, the whole town was gone in a day, replaced by McDonald's and a gas station and not much else. I hope Pahoa is spared such a fate, turned into a strip mall or something. You'd think Kama'aina would appreciate their heritage more, but I guess not.

RE: Hilo TV - Lee G - 01-12-2006

Hutch,
Frankly, I would love to take a D-9 thru Downtown Pahoa! Out with the old & in with the new I always say. C'mon look at the old building's ready to collapse. It's 2006 Not 1906. Let's have some vision but NO Fast Food Junk...
With Aloha
Lee

RE: Hilo TV - leilaniguy - 01-12-2006

Really? the past means nothing? We are the only thing that's important? More stucco and plastic makes a better world? Sheese! I'll take Termites and rusty tin roofs any day over the boring American blandness/sameness mall mentality that pervades the rest of the usa.

RE: Hilo TV - Lee G - 01-13-2006

Hutch,
If you knew me you would know that I love History. If you re-read my post I said nothing about installing "strip malls" or plastic anything. I Do Not want that!
In my opinion(Humble)I see the Downtown village as neglected and run down and no amount of rainbow paint is gonna save the fact the most of the buildings would be condemned if a building inspector checked them out. I said let's have "Vision" new ideas and thinking! I think the outdoor Farmers marketplace is a very good thing, My vision would improve the exsiting location and set up and make it a more central theme and more permanent structures. I lived in Europe for 13 years and seen some great outdoor markets. We have Great weather here why not have some outdoor cafes and a real Bakery, an authentic Italian Deli, a good Pub, ???
Progress doesn't have to be Cheesey!
Lee

RE: Hilo TV - leilaniguy - 01-13-2006

Reread my post. it's the funky junky aspect of Pahoa that makes it different from every other white-bread suburban town in the usa. That's what makes it so attractive to so many people here, character. Most historic buildings anywhere would be condemned if they weren't grandfathered. Keaau has no soul. That was ripped out a few years back.

RE: Hilo TV - Lee G - 01-17-2006

We don't go to Keaau much anymore since Pahoa Marketplace opened up but went there this evening to pick up some take out from Thai Lemon Grass they are closed for a month for rennovation settled for L&L Drive -in next door was OK but not as good as Lemongrass. Keaau was hopping the place was jamming with people from Charlie's, the laundry, and health food store. I don't think it's a souless place I just think it has an identity problem because there isn't a real big residential area that claims it for their own.

RE: Hilo TV - mella l - 01-18-2006

Lee, is the Keaau market place where HWY 130 and 11 meet? That rather triangular area where the stop lights are? I'm trying to visualize just where it is you are talking about.

I think it is great for Hilo to have it's own Hilo5 Station soon. It's hard to get the weather report from Pu'u O'o's camera 24/7WinkSmile!

mella l