Punaweb Forum
A new DUI law is enforced. Car seized... - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: A new DUI law is enforced. Car seized... (/showthread.php?tid=1745)

Pages: 1 2 3

A new DUI law is enforced. Car seized... - Rob Tucker - 01-11-2008

This is news.

A new law to enhance safety from drunk drivers was actually enforced.

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/articles/2008/01/11/local_news/local02.txt

Three DUI convictions in five years and you lose your car.

RE: A new DUI law is enforced. Car seized... - mgeary - 01-11-2008

I think that's a good idea.

Here in Bakersfield, CA, there's a case pending where two guys were drag racing, and killed a woman and seriously injured her husband. The drag racer who actually struck the innocent vehicle had his two-year old daughter in the car at the time. This guy had seven DUI's over the course of the past decade or more, and was driving on a suspended license for DUI.

Here's a link: http://www.bakersfield.com/102/story/331771.html

Maybe if he'd had his car seized after his third DUI, or his fourth or his fifth or his sixth or his seventh, a lady might still be alive.

How do I know?

RE: A new DUI law is enforced. Car seized... - Glori B - 01-11-2008

[Wink]Life's too short..New York got it straight. 1st DWI and car no more....free and clear or financed...the state takes it from you.

Gr8fulglow

RE: A new DUI law is enforced. Car seized... - Bob Orts - 01-11-2008

Many States have come up with a novel way to curb abuse with vehicles. They made any alteration of vehicle registration, insurance, or identification a crime and mandate that the evidence be held AS-IS for trial. No affidavits, no sworn statements, no photographs - the actual vehicle and altered paperwork is all held as evidence.

So if you are pulled over and the registration paperwork, stickers, inspection, insurance car, VIN or plates are not for that vehicle or has been altered, the car is seized until released by the court. This is so the court can see not only the altered items, but also the actual vehicle it was on to confirm the violation. The courts have the authority to release the vehicle to the registered owner for hardship, upon proof the altered items was not done at or with the knowledge of the registered owner, or any other mitigating circumstances.

The fear of having the actual vehicle taken and held until trial outcome is starting to have a positive impact. From what I read, Hawaii can't seize the vehicle until the person is convicted. Heck, hold it as physical evidence. A few States have even imposed this Hold as Evidence on uninsured vehicles. And it's already passed constitutional muster.

RE: A new DUI law is enforced. Car seized... - oink - 01-11-2008

The only solution that works for drunks is jail. In Fl it becomes a felony after the third one. A good stay in jail becomes a good possibility. Pohaku is correct, in that taking the vehicles makes little difference. Often the vehicle is registered to someone else, or an easily replaceable with another $500 dollar unregistered piece of crap.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

RE: A new DUI law is enforced. Car seized... - Guest - 01-11-2008

This day and age it should be a felony for the first offense.

The numbers of deaths by drunk drivers is pathetic.

On the news they talk of repeat offenders with 6&7 priors.

How many innocents need to die before they get serious about it?

What they could do is get the "Denver Boot" and then everyone who drives by will know a drunk was driving that car. To get the boot off they'd have to get a PINK license plate warning everyone else of the potential hazard, if they give them their license back. They, WILL fall off the wagon. 9 out of 10 anyway. We should have a right to know.

Privacy rights? you say? You relinquish them when you get behind the wheel drunk.

RE: A new DUI law is enforced. Car seized... - Rob Tucker - 01-11-2008

Not all drunk drivers drive $500 cars. There's drunks that drive $30,000 cars too. Heck, there's drunks that drive jumbo jets.

I think the law is a step in the right direction. The surprise is that there is a law that (in today's news at least) is actually getting enforced. Perhaps we can thank Mitch Roth (Asst. D.A.) for that.

RE: A new DUI law is enforced. Car seized... - oink - 01-11-2008

I don't think it will help much, but any help is good. The newly enforced law will have an effect on certain people, just not a large percentage of drunks.

ps: As someone previously noticed and mentioned, our cute little names based on post counts are missing for some of us. It seems to apply only to those of us with post counts between 100 and 500. I have forgotten what the name was for that post count range. This is a serious issue and will likely send me into several weeks of depression. I may have to join beachboys new club to recover from this tramatic experience.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

RE: A new DUI law is enforced. Car seized... - gtill - 01-11-2008

I believe Speed contributes to 70% of deaths. Alcohol 30%. Either to an extreme is reckless.and should be severely punished. Like one day per mile when over 10mph. 1st dui 30 days.(both servable on weekends). No exceptions, no trade for fine. If involved in an accident all the above plus forfeiture of vehicle. After completion of punishment, reinstated on perperual probation. Happen again and you're on the bus Forever.
The cops are stretched too thin to do good at anything. When the cop spends the time required to do proper investigations and a serious accident happens, they're not doing their job. Vise versa. We need cops dedicated to traffic, with no concern about being loved. (CHP). Most animosity aganst police is because of tickets(unfair of course). Plus they could create a good revenue flow, partially or completely covering their wages.
Some dollars spent on hi-tek to eliminate court challenges, and pay court costs if you loose a challenge.
A vehicle is a deadly weapon, and should be treated as such. Driver control!

RE: A new DUI law is enforced. Car seized... - gtill - 01-11-2008

Mabe not but I think 5 weeks buss ing to work and jail for the weekend for a first offense would ring a bell. Knowing the second time would be worse.
The trick is to make the judges enforce it!