Punaweb Forum
Don't make this mistake! - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Don't make this mistake! (/showthread.php?tid=17536)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Don't make this mistake! - birdmove - 08-16-2016

Woke up this morning to the sound of barking snarling dogs, and went to check. They were outside our coop and wanting to kill our chickens. They also were after a rabbit is a cage next to the coop. Went out quickly and grabbed about a 5 foot piece of 2x4, and went to chase them off. The big white dog looked he might come after me. I chased them off, but slipped on the wet centipede grass, fell in some weird position, and something went in and near my right knee. Could not get up. My wife came out and helped me up, and the 2x4 became my cane. Boy, is that knee swollen! Been icing it for hours. My wife went and borrowed a cane my daughter had (as she had knee problem recently too).

And, I'll be 63 a few months. To think that just yesterday, I was at my gym working out. About 25 minutes on the eliptical, and then hit the weights. No doctor yet. For one thing, I couldn't get in a car now, and maybe couldn't get out. At least, my wife was a nurse for many years.

Can I start this day over again??

Jon in Keaau/HPP

RE: Don't make this mistake! - Lee M-S - 08-16-2016

yikes! hope you feel better soon!

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>

RE: Don't make this mistake! - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 08-16-2016

Yes, I hope the swelling goes down soon.
I'm about your same age - - we just don't bounce like we used to, do we?

The moon kind of surprises me sometimes. I’ll be out at night and I’ll see a nice moon, and say, “Hey, that looks good.” Then I’ll say, “Oh sh-t, I went up there one time!” Kind of surprises me. It’s like there are two Moons, you know—the one that’s usually around, and then that one. - Michael Collins, Apollo 11 astronaut

RE: Don't make this mistake! - Tink - 08-16-2016

Sorry to hear!! I am still trying to figure when I went from bouncing to splatting! Did you find out what went into your leg/knee, or did you tear your ACL? At least you have great home care, and hope you heal soon!

Community begins with Aloha

RE: Don't make this mistake! - birdmove - 08-16-2016

Don't yet. Its very swollen, and there is a little bruising. Can't put any weight on it unless the right leg is totally straight, or I'll be going down again. That's with a cane trying to take all the weight. I'll probably wait a few days and see how things go.
Thanks, everybody! Take care of those knees!!

Jon in Keaau/HPP

RE: Don't make this mistake! - terracore - 08-16-2016

Ouch!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I had a knee issue once and they heal so slowly.

Why can't people control their dogs?

RE: Don't make this mistake! - Guest - 08-16-2016

Auwe Birdmove, couple questions if you don't mind. Was the pop just before or after you landed ? I know its gross to re-live it but can you describe the motion of your fall and how your knee bent or twisted ? How much range do you have when sitting / laying down ? Knee pain can move around but can you isolate where its coming from yet ? Front . back . left . right ? Yeah, stay off it for sure. Enough ice though. At this point you will find a warm compress very comforting while you sit with a pillow under it. Naproxen ( Aleve ) is great here if you can take it.

RE: Don't make this mistake! - Kenney - 08-16-2016

Sorry you got hurt saving your animals. ( good for you !) Please stick to ice for the next few days til
the swelling goes down. Your wife knows. Rest, Ice, elevate, compress. A NSAID wouldn't hurt either unless you're allergic or have other med restrictions. I hope you're back on your feet soon!

Kenny, rice is good immediately after injury or if (too) hard a workout. After, heat promotes blood flow, and healing. I've been where Birdmove is 5 (yes 5) X.
If there is one thing I know about in this world, this is it.

A good write up if anyone wants to read it about the big brands. Thanks Rob. I know its off puna.
http://hubpages.com/health/Whats-The-Differences-between-Tylenol-Advil-Aleve-and-Aspirin