Punaweb Forum
(mostly) prohibit alcohol at County functions - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: (mostly) prohibit alcohol at County functions (/showthread.php?tid=17955)

Pages: 1 2

(mostly) prohibit alcohol at County functions - kalakoa - 01-05-2017

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/local-news/tougher-alcohol-purchase-rules-hold-consider-toasting

Basically: any "prohibition" of publicly-funded alcohol purchases really "needs" an exemption for "certain ceremonial activities".

Whenever you have exemptions, people find wiggle room," Nims said.

RE: (mostly) prohibit alcohol at County functions - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 01-05-2017

The proposal is in response to former Mayor Billy Kenoi’s use of a county purchasing card for what state prosecutors called “exorbitant amounts of alcohol.

Isn't he gone? I thought he was gone? When can the council start enacting laws for the benefit of citizens, and not over the benefits of entitled county politicians?

"One may pretend knowledge of philosophy more successfully than that of arithmetic." -Last Aphorisms (or how about, one may pretend knowledge with an opinion more successfully than with facts)

RE: (mostly) prohibit alcohol at County functions - Chunkster - 01-05-2017

What planet (or island) do these jokers think they are living on? There will always be some weasel just waiting to take advantage of any way to cheat and then claiming the rules weren't clear. Sound familiar?

RE: (mostly) prohibit alcohol at County functions - kalakoa - 01-05-2017

When can the council start enacting laws for the benefit of citizens

Right after we pass a new building code for the contractors' lobby. If there's time.

RE: (mostly) prohibit alcohol at County functions - punaticbychoice - 01-05-2017

kalakoa @ 11:57:09:
That's about right.

RE: (mostly) prohibit alcohol at County functions - terracore - 01-05-2017

“It’s really hard, I think, to explain to people, ‘Sorry, this is a nonalcoholic event because we can’t spend money on alcohol. There will be no toasting except with water,’” he said.

Really? It's either alcohol OR water? There are all kinds of fizzy non-alcoholic drinks out there. If it's THAT important, somebody can spend $5 of their own money to buy a plastic bottle of cheap vodka to spike enough punch so every dignitary can have a "toast".

RE: (mostly) prohibit alcohol at County functions - alaskyn66 - 01-05-2017

I can drink with the best of them... and maybe out drink most of them.. but I would never, never, expect my employer to foot the bill for any alcohol. No matter what context or nature of the event. Billy should have bought his own booze period(.)

. I didn't build my last house with a toast with the contractor... or sign my kids up to school with a toast.. or buy my car with a toast.... or buy stuff from Walmart with a toast with the cashier... and I'm sure no one else did either.(and your employer pays for it.)

RE: (mostly) prohibit alcohol at County functions - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 01-05-2017

or buy stuff from Walmart with a toast with the cashier...

Although if Walmart greeters offered customers a drink & a toast, it would certainly improve the overall shopping experience there.

"One may pretend knowledge of philosophy more successfully than that of arithmetic." -Last Aphorisms (or how about, one may pretend knowledge with an opinion more successfully than with facts)

RE: (mostly) prohibit alcohol at County functions - alaskyn66 - 01-05-2017

Actually it would improve the overall experience. I guess.

RE: (mostly) prohibit alcohol at County functions - Tink - 01-05-2017

I believe the solution is BYOB, or "no host bar". Get drunk on your own dime! I have personally partaken, and observed that humans tend to drink way too much when somebody else is picking up the tab, leading to all kinds of consequences from public embarrassment to a DUI. All not good outcomes.

Community begins with Aloha