Punaweb Forum
Poof - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Poof (/showthread.php?tid=18208)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Poof - Obie - 03-28-2017

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/03/28/hawaii-news/canary-islands-option-appeals-to-tmt-officials/?HSA=353f8a2bb68cc4f8c281405fd5e079dfab4a36a7

Say goodbye to the TMT !

RE: Poof - TomK - 03-28-2017

Thanks, Obie, it's a good article and is pretty much what I've been saying for quite a few months now. If the commitment to start TMT construction remains this time next year, then I can't see how it will be built here. The article also has a very good summary of the disadvantages of the La Palma site. At optical wavelengths it should be fine, but there's no way it can compare to the Mauna Kea site for infrared performance. It will lose capability.

RE: Poof - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 03-28-2017

Yes, thanks for the update Obie. The Canary Islands make the most sense for a second choice, as they have the needed infrastructure (unlike India), a modern airport and close proximity to Europe. But it's still a second choice, and the judges overseeing the hearings and appeals here are fully aware of the time constraints.

You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

RE: Poof - TomK - 03-28-2017

HOTPE - I'm sure the current contested case hearing judge, Amano, is aware of the TMT deadlines, but her decision is yet to be appealed and there's also another potential contested case hearing coming up (subject to appeal) for which no judge has been appointed. If it does take place, I can't see it starting for several months.

I think the only way the TMT will be built here is if the TMT changes its own deadline, but they are being driven by the partners (many of whom are running out of patience) and the fact they want to be up and running when the JWST is still operational.

RE: Poof - kalakoa - 03-29-2017

her decision is yet to be appealed

The one that isn't expected for several months yet?

RE: Poof - Guest - 03-29-2017

The moving of the TMT project to the Canary Islands in spain may be the best decision for many sides involved. Most I know around these parts or the island were expecting an all out "WAR" in the coming day's, week's or months if the TMT project was pushed forward on their Mauna WaKea. I really didn't want to see anymore splintering amoungst the people of Hawaii. jmo

RE: Poof - kalakoa - 03-29-2017

may be the best decision for many sides involved

Implication: "science" is not involved in the decision.

RE: Poof - Kapoho Joe - 03-29-2017

Bully for the Canaries!

RE: Poof - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 03-29-2017

moving of the TMT project to the Canary Islands in spain may be the best decision for many sides involved

Did you read the article gypsy? The Canary Island site is not the best vantage point for viewing, for many reasons. La Palma is not the best decision for the telescope.

Most I know around these parts or the island were expecting an all out "WAR" in the coming day's, week's or months if the TMT project was pushed forward on their Mauna WaKea

No one I know is expecting "all out WAR." How many people have suggested this and what exactly are their plans? Based on recent testimony of TMT opponents in Hilo, the foot soldiers most likely will have trouble getting airline tickets, or making it to the airport on time the morning of their battle flight, or when they finally arrive on Big Island may not be able to locate comfortable and reasonably priced accommodations to lodge after a day of "all out WAR." Harper's may also run out of vehicles to drive up Mauna Kea as well. Uber?

You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

RE: Poof - MarkP - 03-29-2017

If it comes to "all out WAR" that would probably be what would finally push the state over the threshold and into some kind of action. Since the "protectors" have never really experienced any real consequences for their actions up to now, I doubt that things would go as they expect. The concept could really only exist in the minds of the "protectors" since the powers that be have no interest in anything that would seriously upset tourism. Sadly the nonsense that has taken place so far isn't really on the radar of most of the world's population.