Punaweb Forum
The power of good health, education... - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: The power of good health, education... (/showthread.php?tid=18719)

Pages: 1 2

The power of good health, education... - glinda - 09-01-2017

..and encouragement from our community.

The thing that the Republicans seem to not understand is that for any society to be (using Trump's word) 'great' its people must themselves be so. And, to achieve this, especially when the society is a melting pot of so many cultures and social-economic roots, is though empowering it's people. Through helping them rise up and reach their potential.

Republicans seem to say, he dude you're on your own, sink or swim. Whereas history proves that it takes a lot more than tough love and a cold heart to create wonderful people.

Today, on the PBS website, I watched a wonderful documentary called: Visions in the Dark: The Life of Pinky Thompson which is the story of the life of Myron "Pinky" Thompson, who was instrumental in creating many of the programs that even today are working tirelessly to help the Hawaiian community reach its full potential. Yeah yeah I know, many of you think that's all BS, but hey, what are you doing to help the Hawaiian community?

As a tale that is local to Hawaii and it's native people it in itself is a great story. But the truths that Pinky found and throughout his life applied to help his people are the same fundamental truths that we all, regardless of race or religion etc., need to understand when considering what it takes to build a great society. And, they are far from the tough love BS that the Republicans use as an excuse to further their own greedy ends, and are ripping our society apart with now.

I encourage anyone interested in contemplating these ideas to watch this wonderful documentary, which is available online for viewing at:

http://www.pbs.org/video/visions-in-the-dark-the-life-of-pinky-johnson-mr8aj7/

RE: The power of good health, education... - randomq - 09-02-2017

Health and education are at least two things most of us would approve of. They also happen to be economic engines which help bring jobs and federal funds to small towns. And hard to argue against for politicians. Maybe we should push for Puna Mauka and Pahoa hospitals, and once established it would be easier to push for more local business around them, and less driving to hilo for everything.

RE: The power of good health, education... - Cagary - 09-02-2017

glinda, maybe you can't read or you think that your opinion is so darn important that you don't have to obey the rules of the forum.

Rob CLEARLY states:
Note: National and world politics are not allowed.

NO ONE gives a crap about your opinion of Trump and Republicans or the little fairy tales you hear on PBS.

As Rob often says, "Keep it Hawaiian".

-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".

RE: The power of good health, education... - Cagary - 09-02-2017

I notice how you were not able to dispute anything I said, and like all liberals, only could resort to name calling.

Well played!

-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".

RE: The power of good health, education... - Chunkster - 09-02-2017

Maybe I can bring this back to Hawaii by asking Glinda what her wonderful friends in the Democratic party have done to improve health care on the Big Island. We are facing a shrinking pool of doctors, and flying to Oahu for anything other than very routine treatment is becoming more and more common. I know people who have moved off island because of this. Our state and local Democratic machine politicians wring their hands and talk about doing studies, but the only thing they seem able to fund is a boondoggle rail project on Oahu. And before you drag out your paint bucket and declare me to be a Republican, you should know that I support a single payer health care system for Hawaii and the nation. I refuse to call myself a Democrat any longer because the local version is a group of incompetent and corrupt good old boys and girls.

RE: The power of good health, education... - leilanidude - 09-02-2017

and like all liberals, only could resort to name calling.
-------

That is glinda's calling card... name calling along with repeating lies often enough that people start to believe them.

RE: The power of good health, education... - alaskyn66 - 09-02-2017

What exactly has ether party done for us other than send us one more revolution around the galactic toilet bowl.

RE: The power of good health, education... - PaulW - 09-02-2017

glindakine's mission: bring the poisonous mainland Republican/Democrat divide to Hawaii. No thanks!

RE: The power of good health, education... - OrchidIslander - 09-02-2017

.."and like all liberals, only could resort to name calling."
---------------------------------------------------------

Ironic comment about name calling, while freely implicating all liberals.

"What exactly has ether party done for us other than send us one more revolution around the galactic toilet bowl."
--------------------------------------------------------------------

1,000+ thumb's up!

RE: The power of good health, education... - Mopar - 09-02-2017

Exactly Alaskan 66, simple minds don't realize that as long as we bicker amongst ourselves, it keeps us from looking at the real problem. The 2 party system is a joke. Everyone has to pick which side they are on. Both sides have good attributes and both sides have negative. It's how governments control people. Real change happens when government fears people. We are so privileged that we bicker about who has the better side. Usually it takes a massive tragedy for people to realize we are all in this together. Remember how you felt after 9/11? Didn't matter what side u were on politically, we were all united as "Americans" for a brief moment in time. . Trying to get a "liberal" to become "conservative" or vise versa, is such a waste of breath. Find a common ground and try to build on that, rather than act like 10 year olds bickering on the playground.